Just a quick note to show what I mean
jetpackninja is offline Find More Posts by jetpackninja
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 26, 2012, 02:55 PM
Planes in flames,,,
Gravity Sucks
Joined Aug 2010
3,363 Posts
So the locations I have are just guessed on this drawing.
Make your marks and set your pins on a line10.5 in back from the nose on the bottom of the plane.
jetpackninja is offline Find More Posts by jetpackninja
Old Oct 26, 2012, 03:09 PM
Will work for batteries..
USA, UT, Kaysville
Joined Feb 2005
462 Posts
Alrighty, now I smell what you are steppin in!! You said that you just leave them in all the time? I am guessing you use the larger round headed sewing pins and not the tiny little ones? Thanks!
sd2602 is offline Find More Posts by sd2602
Last edited by sd2602; Oct 26, 2012 at 03:10 PM. Reason: Added some more
Old Oct 26, 2012, 03:20 PM
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Sep 2012
27 Posts
the pins simply provide a nice pivot point to rest on the tips of your fingers.. only reason to leave em in is if you change up your setup often and need to use ballast in the field.. If your setting the CG and forgetting it then the pins should be removed.
dreadlocks is offline Find More Posts by dreadlocks
Old Oct 26, 2012, 03:23 PM
Will work for batteries..
USA, UT, Kaysville
Joined Feb 2005
462 Posts
Got it, makes sense! Thanks again!
sd2602 is offline Find More Posts by sd2602
Old Oct 26, 2012, 03:43 PM
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Sep 2012
27 Posts
got the rest of the stuff I needed to get in the air yesterday, spent a good part of the night making wiring harness and all that.

need to get bolts to for the motor this evening then I'll put my big ass 5000mAh 4S batteries in last.

Thats an OpenPilot CC3D and OpenPilot GPS, I wired up a current sensor in the harness.. it has a separate BEC and Opto isolated ESC. I am using Hitec HS-625MG servos @ 6v because the autopilot will wreak havoc on anything lesser... there's also a 12v bec there for FPV and night gear in the near future.

ignore the party favors, my son's 2nd birthday was this week.
dreadlocks is offline Find More Posts by dreadlocks
Last edited by dreadlocks; Oct 26, 2012 at 03:50 PM.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 04:33 PM
wheeeeee!
United States, UT, Provo
Joined Oct 2011
905 Posts
1. On the bottom of the wing, measure back from the tip of the nose 10.5", and make a mark.
2. Use a square along the center line of the wing to place two marks directly out from the 10.5" mark you made at the center (and make sure to make these two extended marks equidistant from the center)
3. Double check that the two marks are perpendicular to the center line by measuring from the nose to those marks. The distances should be equal.
4. Stick a push pin into each of those two marks, which you can then use to balance the wing on your fingers as you determine the placement of your electronics. It helps to have a second person, here. One person tries to keep the wing balanced on the pins with their fingers, while the other person makes adjustments to the placement of the electronics. Once it balances properly, use a pen to mark where all the electronics go, then cut the bays.
(If you wish to make the pins permanent, use flat-headed pins and put them in place under the laminate. Alternately, you could put them in place after the laminate, but use hot glue to keep them in.)

...is this not in any of the instructions anymore? Maybe I'll go check.
elCapitan is offline Find More Posts by elCapitan
Old Oct 27, 2012, 11:20 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,890 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sd2602 View Post
Thanks! However, i am building a grim reaper not a deep reaper. Sorry for the confusion. What I am looking for is a picture of how the pins were glued/attached at the 10.5 inches back from the nose. Thanks again!
The pins do not affect the CG nor are they a critical part of the plane. They cause as many questions as they answer. The concept is good of making a precise place to measure the CG o n plane but we get a lot of confused builders who think they are more than they are. Most people do not use pins to balance the plane just go off a measurement and mark on the plane. Once the plane is balanced they are never needed again. They are just a method to locate the CG while holding the plane.

If you want to use them, poke them though the laminate on the CG and put a clear piece of tape over them. I only use them on the bigger planes that are more difficult to keep the CG point while holding the plane.
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
Last edited by Lee; Oct 27, 2012 at 11:53 AM.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 10:01 PM
UH60 Pilot
United States, KY, Fort Campbell
Joined Jan 2010
273 Posts
OK, I just read through 4000 posts in the past two days to try and figure out what I think I will put on my deep reaper xl when I get all the stuff for it. I flew an assassin wing for a little while till I lost it... I plan on getting two scythes to replace that and the deep reaper to take some video and get started in the whole FPV thing.

I would like to run between 8000-10000mah on 3s batts.
the motors I see people running are either the 3536-1400 or the 3536-1800. Any reason I would want to use the 1800 over 1400, I wouldn't necessarily be worried about speed unless the 1800 motor is better all around.
It seems like some MG standard servos will be fine as well and the esc ect. I'll figure out.

As far as FPV goes I am new. I was wondering if there is a link to some place that has some good information on FPV as in what types of setup will give you what kind of range and which system I should look into. Ideally I would like to get something midrange as far as price and range goes. If I wanted to travel between 2-5miles what could I expect to spend. It also looks like UHF is what people are using for long range flights. Thanks for the help. Biggest thing, what for FPV should I avoid purchasing.

Eric
E1Allen is offline Find More Posts by E1Allen
Last edited by E1Allen; Oct 31, 2012 at 10:06 PM. Reason: Add info
Old Oct 31, 2012, 10:50 PM
BUZZ KILL
Utah
Joined Aug 2010
1,058 Posts
I'm still in the process of building mine (over 4 months now) but I'm going with the 1800 3536 on 3s. I think it will give me enough punch to get up those big hills.
Plane Insane RC is offline Find More Posts by Plane Insane RC
Old Oct 31, 2012, 11:16 PM
UH60 Pilot
United States, KY, Fort Campbell
Joined Jan 2010
273 Posts
I attempt faster builds if I can get away with it. Although I think I'm about to start four projects...
E1Allen is offline Find More Posts by E1Allen
Old Oct 31, 2012, 11:35 PM
BUZZ KILL
Utah
Joined Aug 2010
1,058 Posts
I swear I have A D D. I start a project then get busy. Then I start another project. Finally I make it back to the first one. I think I've build a storm chaser and a couple of quads from the time I started the reaper xl. It will be finished soon. Mark my words!
Old Nov 01, 2012, 08:08 AM
wheeeeee!
United States, UT, Provo
Joined Oct 2011
905 Posts
@E1Allen

IMO, I'd go with the 1800. I've had both motors on the same DRXL, leaving everything else the same, and the 1800kv motor simply flew better. The wing didn't feel as "heavy" in the air, if you know what I mean.

As far as FPV, here's my advice to save you from spending too much money and goign through too much frustration: first, fly the wing LOS for a while until you're familiar with it. Then, as far as gear, start small, but not cheap-o. You don't have to go for the most expensive, high-end stuff right off the bat, but just reliable stuff.

Don't bother with UHF for your control yet, and don't bother with an OSD system yet, or uber fancy antennae or antenna trackers. Start with either a 1.2 or a 5.8 gHz simple FPV setup. I've heard this HK tx/rx set is actually pretty good. Personally, I have a 1.2 gHz Lawmate setup, and I love the quality, but the antennae have to be a lot bigger, which is kinda lame.

Get someone to be a spotter, and learn to fly with that bare-bones FPV setup, staying within LOS range. Then, when you'er comfortable with that, start adding things like nice antennae on the video tx and rx, then a UHF system to get out a little farther, and the OSD, etc.
elCapitan is offline Find More Posts by elCapitan
Old Nov 04, 2012, 11:13 AM
Yeah, I can CRA$H that!
United States, GA, Dallas
Joined Dec 2010
141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane Insane RC View Post
I swear I have A D D. I start a project then get busy. Then I start another project. Finally I make it back to the first one. I think I've build a storm chaser and a couple of quads from the time I started the reaper xl. It will be finished soon. Mark my words!
You're not alone, I do the same thing.
thndr1mj is offline Find More Posts by thndr1mj
Old Nov 04, 2012, 01:28 PM
BUZZ KILL
Utah
Joined Aug 2010
1,058 Posts
The good news is I finally did the maiden flight. Sucker flew great! Only a couple of ticks of trim. Just waiting on a dragon link receiver so I can do some true fpv.