HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 18, 2012, 11:18 AM
Will work for batteries..
USA, UT, Kaysville
Joined Feb 2005
462 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
How much weight did it add to paint the plane? You will need to be carefull not to get the plane tail heavy. It looks good. Which paint did you use?
I am not sure how much weight it added. I didnt weigh the parts before or after painting. I dont have a small enough scale either that i could use. I applied 2 light coats, so i am hoping it didnt do too much damage. As for what i used for paint, its just Krylon Shortcuts paint. Its an all purpose hobby/craft spray paint. I have yet to find a surface it wont stick too! Its available at pretty much every craft store i have been into like Michaels, Hobby Lobby, and Ben Franklin.
sd2602 is offline Find More Posts by sd2602
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 18, 2012, 09:52 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sd2602 View Post
I am not sure how much weight it added. I didnt weigh the parts before or after painting. I dont have a small enough scale either that i could use. I applied 2 light coats, so i am hoping it didnt do too much damage. As for what i used for paint, its just Krylon Shortcuts paint. Its an all purpose hobby/craft spray paint. I have yet to find a surface it wont stick too! Its available at pretty much every craft store i have been into like Michaels, Hobby Lobby, and Ben Franklin.
The problem with latex paints is that they break apart with the heat of laminating so the laminate does not stay stuck. We have done better with the Krylon Fusion paint. I don't know what type of paint the Shortcuts is. You might want to do a test and see if a light coat of paint or spray adhesive that is slightly tacky helps the laminate to stick better than dry paint.
Lee is online now Find More Posts by Lee
Old Oct 19, 2012, 12:11 AM
USA, UT, Kaysville
Joined Feb 2005
462 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
The problem with latex paints is that they break apart with the heat of laminating so the laminate does not stay stuck. We have done better with the Krylon Fusion paint. I don't know what type of paint the Shortcuts is. You might want to do a test and see if a light coat of paint or spray adhesive that is slightly tacky helps the laminate to stick better than dry paint.
Hmmm, now I am bummed and worried... I was all excited about how cool my reaper is turning out and now this news. I couldn't find a definite answer on what kind of paint it is but my guess would be latex. I could be wrong. So am I basically s o l now? If I have to use a spray adhesive wont that keep the laminate from shrinking? What if I wrap the laminate over itself?
Old Oct 19, 2012, 06:39 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,627 Posts
Quote:
Hmmm, now I am bummed and worried... I was all excited about how cool my reaper is turning out and now this news. I couldn't find a definite answer on what kind of paint it is but my guess would be latex. I could be wrong. So am I basically s o l now? If I have to use a spray adhesive wont that keep the laminate from shrinking? What if I wrap the laminate over itself?
I have done the spray adhesive over latex before and it worked. It has to do with how strong of a bond the paint has with itself. The foam is porous enough most paints will stick. The Fusion Paint by Krylon is the best we found.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 10:45 AM
Planes in flames,,,
Gravity Sucks
Joined Aug 2010
3,312 Posts
The spray adhesive will not keep the laminate from shrinking.
When it gets hot it kinda melts.
Only time will tell if the paint will stick or not.

I prefer to decorate with packing tape or colored vinyl after lam...
jetpackninja is offline Find More Posts by jetpackninja
Old Oct 19, 2012, 11:59 AM
USA, UT, Kaysville
Joined Feb 2005
462 Posts
I looked at my reaper this morning. It looks like th egreen i used on top took a lot better then the orange on the bottom. I wonder if I possibly didnt shake the orange enough?? Anyways, i painted a scrap piece from the elevon and will see if the laminate will work on it. I am actually feeling confident the top side with the green will be ok, but not so sure on the orange on the bottom... Hopefully i will be able to get to it this weekend...
Old Oct 19, 2012, 12:00 PM
USA, UT, Kaysville
Joined Feb 2005
462 Posts
By the way, which spray adhesive? 3M makes one you can get at any Lowes or Home Depot correct? Just spray it on like spray paint, then lay the laminate over it and shrink it up? Thanks!
Old Oct 19, 2012, 12:04 PM
Planes in flames,,,
Gravity Sucks
Joined Aug 2010
3,312 Posts
m77
m90 works too but doesn't spray on as nicely sometimes has boogers in it
jetpackninja is offline Find More Posts by jetpackninja
Old Oct 19, 2012, 12:06 PM
USA, UT, Kaysville
Joined Feb 2005
462 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetpackninja View Post
m77
m90 works too but doesn't spray on as nicely sometimes has boogers in it
Yeah, dont want the boogers!!! Thanks ninja!
Last edited by sd2602; Oct 19, 2012 at 12:07 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Oct 20, 2012, 03:14 AM
USA, UT, Kaysville
Joined Feb 2005
462 Posts
Burnin the midnight oil!! All for good though, success!! The laminate stuck just fine to the paint. Just have to wait and see in the morning if it stays stuck. I got all of the laminating done so now I just have to attach the elevons and install all of my gear. Here are some pics! Now to get some sleep!
Old Oct 20, 2012, 03:20 AM
USA, UT, Kaysville
Joined Feb 2005
462 Posts
For some reason whenever i use my iphone and I try to attach multiple pics in one post only one makes it. It also rotates them which I can't figure out why. Oh well, I digress... So here is the bottom of my reaper!
Old Oct 20, 2012, 12:53 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,627 Posts
Quote:
For some reason whenever i use my iphone and I try to attach multiple pics in one post only one makes it. It also rotates them which I can't figure out why. Oh well, I digress... So here is the bottom of my reaper!
Looks good. Eyes look good in decorating planes.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 08:24 PM
United States, TX, Carrollton
Joined Dec 2009
259 Posts
I have built two Grim Reapers and both of them fly like crap, my hinges are to tight and I have to add huge fishing weights to the front of the plane because I never get the gear in the right place. I want to make a Grim Reaper for night flying where the hinges allow the wing to go up and down and not just one direction.

Has anyone checked on buying a Grim Reaper Pre built from Crash Test Hobbies, maybe I could ship my parts in from my current one and have one built for an additional cost?
jhorton is offline Find More Posts by jhorton
Old Oct 21, 2012, 09:24 PM
wheeeeee!
United States, UT, Provo
Joined Oct 2011
904 Posts
No, CTH does no building for its customers (and I can't blame them. That would be a mess, business-wise)

Do you have any pics? Can you tell us what it's doing when you try to fly? I can tell you right now the two most common things are improper CG, and too much throw in the elevons. Where does your Reaper balance front-to-back? How much do you have your elevons set to move?

Also, when the servos move, everything should be super solid. No crazy bending in the rod, and the plastic servo horn shouldn't move at all in the foam of the elevon. Checked those?

Oh, and please don't take offense, but if it just seems under-powered, did you make sure the prop is facing the right way? That's an easy mistake I've made before, and we've been talking about recently on other forums for CTH planes.
elCapitan is offline Find More Posts by elCapitan
Old Oct 21, 2012, 11:04 PM
United States, TX, Carrollton
Joined Dec 2009
259 Posts
I have plenty of power and servos are mounted correctly with no play. It is funny that you mentioned about the prop being the right direction. I to was a member of the backward prop club. For the first 5/6 flights on my Grim Reaper my prop was on backwards and it still flew, was fast, but just no punch like when the prop was on the right direction. Having the prop on the right way sure make hand launching easier.

My issues were the hinges that I made were to tight and would bind on Down elevator inputs so I was limited in my roll rates and down elevator inputs. Also I had to put 5 of the biggest fishing weights I have ever seen in the front of the plane to get the CG correct, my thoughts were that my wing was a lot heavier than it needed to be because of my esc and receiver placement. In any case I will probably order another wing and learn from my past two builds. That is after I finish my other two projects still in boxes.
jhorton is offline Find More Posts by jhorton
Last edited by jhorton; Oct 21, 2012 at 11:07 PM. Reason: grammer