Old Oct 04, 2012, 11:18 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,145 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blunight View Post
Here are a couple of photos of my light install on the Reaper, one light was cut into the foam in front of the spar and faces forward. The second set is behind the spar and faces to the rear. Cant wait to get it in the air!
Night flying is addicting. Looking good!!!
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 04, 2012, 11:21 PM
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Sep 2012
27 Posts
Still waiting on equipment but the DRXL is all put together.. damn this thing looks tough as nails.
dreadlocks is offline Find More Posts by dreadlocks
Old Oct 08, 2012, 02:54 PM
Norway, Vest-Agder, Kristiansand
Joined Jul 2012
16 Posts
This is my first wing (DR XL)im just about to start cutting out compartments for 2x 5000 5s
they are 38mm or around 1,5" not sure what im going to do with them yet. and i have not recieved any of my fpv equipment yet, so i will only fly los with a small wing cam from HK for a while.

how much would you guys say an average fpv setup weigh? this will also be my first fpv platform

Hitec HS-5245MG Digital 5.5kg/0.12sek

G-1335.25.15 Cam Folding prop 10x6 Hub 5mm

Hyperion Atlas 60A 4S ESC Linear BEC

OS OMA-3820-1200kv BL .25-Size

4S 5000mAh - 25C - Haiyin 545g x 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadlocks View Post
I am looking for a motor/prop combo for an deep reaper xl running off 2x5000mAh 4S thats efficient for long flights (over an hour). Any suggestions? Keep in mind im already a mile high ASL.

I am using the reaper for autonomous UAV development; mainly flight control hardware/software and radio hardware.. The final airframe (x8) is going to run off 4S power and I'd really like to keep the power systems identical between the 2 platforms.

The Deep Reaper looks perfect for testing possibly unstable software; I need something that can take a licking and be back up in the air quickly. Ive been looking at other peoples builds but most seem to be working with 3S power plants. Batteries will be the majority of the weight, no GoPro's, PTZ's or the like.. Mostly small circuit boards and loads of sensors... I'd like to be able to cruise and get some distance to work out radio & antenna designs... or loiter for a while and test how flight software reacts to changing conditions.

I know this is kinda a loaded question; just looking for suggestions to see if I am on the right track.

Thanks,
-R
bhines is offline Find More Posts by bhines
Old Oct 08, 2012, 03:15 PM
New Beeeeee
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Apr 2011
1,072 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhines View Post
This is my first wing (DR XL)im just about to start cutting out compartments for 2x 5000 5s
they are 38mm or around 1,5" not sure what im going to do with them yet. and i have not recieved any of my fpv equipment yet, so i will only fly los with a small wing cam from HK for a while.

how much would you guys say an average fpv setup weigh? this will also be my first fpv platform

Hitec HS-5245MG Digital 5.5kg/0.12sek

G-1335.25.15 Cam Folding prop 10x6 Hub 5mm

Hyperion Atlas 60A 4S ESC Linear BEC

OS OMA-3820-1200kv BL .25-Size

4S 5000mAh - 25C - Haiyin 545g x 2
Use balsa elevons, folding prop is cool but not needed. 5000mah 4s is alot of weight. What are the watts your looking for?
RUBNorris is offline Find More Posts by RUBNorris
Old Oct 08, 2012, 03:18 PM
wheeeeee!
United States, UT, Provo
Joined Oct 2011
916 Posts
I'm sure balsa works great, but I think the double-laminated foam does just as well with less work. I've used nothing but foam elevons for everything up to a Hercules, no problem, no bend.
elCapitan is offline Find More Posts by elCapitan
Old Oct 08, 2012, 03:37 PM
New Beeeeee
Joined Apr 2011
1,072 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elCapitan View Post
I'm sure balsa works great, but I think the double-laminated foam does just as well with less work. I've used nothing but foam elevons for everything up to a Hercules, no problem, no bend.
Yeah, ive read that befor "fluttering" but a guy on youtube "bankheadrc" did a video of his DRXL to show it. I then built mine with epp and had the fluttering affect too. Balsa is more stable for me and i trust it more for my setup. Side by side balsa is way stronger. Epp elevons are good but for light loads.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 07:54 PM
wheeeeee!
United States, UT, Provo
Joined Oct 2011
916 Posts
It's all preference, so do what you like, but...

I have a suspicion that the flutter a few people have mentioned is due more to the gap they leave in the hinge between elevon and trailing edge. My Herc is loaded up with two 4400mAh lipos, Go Pro, FPV gear, an entire second layer of lam-on color, and even 20 lead bullets in the nose to balance it all out, and it still flies true and smooth with double-laminated EPP elevons. I just make sure the elevon is right up against (barely touching) the trailing edge when they're taped and laminated on. No gap.

Now, that does make the hinge a little stiffer, so you need good quality servos to pull them around and hold them in place, but servos are one thing I've learned not to go too cheap on anyway.

No real comparative evidence to say that's the cause of the flutter, but considering most people do fine with EPP, it's just my suspicion
elCapitan is offline Find More Posts by elCapitan
Old Oct 08, 2012, 08:19 PM
New Beeeeee
Joined Apr 2011
1,072 Posts
I know, gaps will really affect your plane. But mine was tight. I made sure. I even used 5mil lam. My servos are what i've been using on my larger 69" 7lbs and 80" 5lbs wings. So i know they work good. So it leaves me to fall on the side of weak elevons. And agin i got alot of cash in my osd, so the epp elevons got tossed.
It's just what i did to fix flutter. So if someone ask about a build and runs into this, balsa might help.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 12:12 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,145 Posts
Most of the time flutter is from too weak of servos on this heavy of a plane or slop in the hinge line or linkages or even loose servos that move under stress. I have seen flutter strong enough to break a wing with balsa elevons too.

I think we often put in smaller servos and they can't handle the forces of the plane. Even though many flyers fly with the MG90 and other mid sized servos I have enough concern that I started to recommend full size servos on any plane that has a motor that uses over 20 A.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 12:41 PM
Will work for batteries..
USA, UT, Kaysville
Joined Feb 2005
469 Posts
Lee, great meeting you yesterday! I appreciate your time and it was awesome to see your planes in person! When I got back home I dug through my stuff and was wondering what you (or any of you other reaper owners) think of this motor: it's a 3020-970. Ok hobby (infinite) makes them. They are a scorpion knock off. Here is a link to the specs: http://www.okhobby.com/product.php?id_product=775 I still haven't decided if I want to go 3 or 4 cell. I plan on using a 9x6. I am looking for speed and wow factor! Nothing too crazy though. It's a heavier motor so I am also concerned with the CG. Thanks for all your inputs!
sd2602 is offline Find More Posts by sd2602
Last edited by sd2602; Oct 14, 2012 at 12:42 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old Oct 14, 2012, 05:54 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,145 Posts
It's in the right power range but it will swing a big prop.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 06:25 PM
USA, UT, Kaysville
Joined Feb 2005
469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
It's in the right power range but it will swing a big prop.
Yeah, that's what I concluded as well. The specs say it will swing a 9x6. I will try it and run my watt meter on it. You don't think the weight will be an issue?
Old Oct 14, 2012, 06:47 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,145 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sd2602 View Post
Yeah, that's what I concluded as well. The specs say it will swing a 9x6. I will try it and run my watt meter on it. You don't think the weight will be an issue?
Realize the smaller prop size is for the higher voltage batteries. We tend to go for the top end of the thrust range on the motors which on this motor will either be more volts or a bigger prop. We try to get the 1400 KV to the 1800 KV motors to get the smaller prop sizes without getting the plane too loud.

Just for fun

Please Move The Deer Crossing (3 min 52 sec)
Old Oct 14, 2012, 07:56 PM
USA, UT, Kaysville
Joined Feb 2005
469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
Realize the smaller prop size is for the higher voltage batteries. We tend to go for the top end of the thrust range on the motors which on this motor will either be more volts or a bigger prop. We try to get the 1400 KV to the 1800 KV motors to get the smaller prop sizes without getting the plane too loud.

Just for fun

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CI8UPHMzZm8
Got it, thanks! Here is a little teaser of whats going on my reaper. The eyes are going to be on the bottom and the dragon on the top.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 07:57 PM
USA, UT, Kaysville
Joined Feb 2005
469 Posts
Oops, the eyes didn't make it. Here they are!