SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 14, 2012, 06:15 AM
Where did that tree come from
United States, SC, Lancaster
Joined Nov 2010
1,477 Posts
Which KV work best with Grim reaper? 1400 or 1700 ?
kid at 55 is offline Find More Posts by kid at 55
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 14, 2012, 08:39 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,152 Posts
They are hard to tell apart if you get the right prop on them.

I like the 3530-1700 with the 7x6 prop and the 3530-1400 KV with the 9x6 prop. I think the top speed is about the same and the prop doesn't effect the low speed. The motors weigh the same.

There are some advantages to the smaller 7x6 prop as far as combat and props not getting broken. There are some advantages that the 9x6 prop being a little quieter and I think it has a little better climb in vertical.

I have both and fly both and don't worry about it when I am flying.
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
Old Sep 14, 2012, 08:44 AM
Asheville,NC
Joined Jun 2002
832 Posts
Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
They are hard to tell apart if you get the right prop on them.

I like the 3530-1700 with the 7x6 prop and the 3530-1400 KV with the 9x6 prop. I think the top speed is about the same and the prop doesn't effect the low speed. The motors weigh the same.

There are some advantages to the smaller 7x6 prop as far as combat and props not getting broken. There are some advantages that the 9x6 prop being a little quieter and I think it has a little better climb in vertical.

I have both and fly both and don't worry about it when I am flying.
I agree, I have 1700 my friend has 1400 both fly well . His may be a bit faster
but ? they both fly well
Tom Eutsler is offline Find More Posts by Tom Eutsler
Old Sep 14, 2012, 11:45 AM
United States, MD, Cambridge
Joined Jan 2011
403 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kid at 55 View Post
Which KV work best with Grim reaper? 1400 or 1700 ?
I started with a 3530 1700kv on a 7 x 6, then switched to a 3536 1450kv on a 9 x 6, both running 3S. The larger 3536 1450kv has significantly more thrust, in my opinion. I'm not concerned with top speed, but I'd say it's faster too.
fnffishcore is offline Find More Posts by fnffishcore
Last edited by fnffishcore; Sep 14, 2012 at 11:45 AM. Reason: Double double words words
Old Sep 14, 2012, 04:14 PM
Chess club geek with wings
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Aug 2008
1,066 Posts
I'm considering adding a Reaper to my collection of combat planes BUT I dont want to be at a speed or manuverablity disadvantage when it comes time for combat...

Our club just got involved with combat and everyone flys Assassin's (one old timer Zagi - but he dont count!)

I've got one Assassin with the recommended motor (200w) 3s 1300 mAh battery and one with a 300w Motrolfly 2200 running the same batteries.
The Assassin is fantastic and I love how quick it changes directions.

My questions are:
1) Will the Reaper be less manuverable than the Assassin?
2) Will a Reaper with the 3530 - 1700 kv on a 3s 2200 mAh battery be slower than the fast Assassin?
Thanks in advance
blunight is offline Find More Posts by blunight
Old Sep 14, 2012, 04:33 PM
Hit Me! Please!
Provo, UT
Joined Jan 2005
3,983 Posts
From my experience with both planes.
1) a bit less maneuverable, but you'll get more hits with the bigger plane.
2) speed of the two is about the same with the standard recommended motors. Not really a factor in combat except for when you are trying catch up to the pack. We get far more hits when people slow down and fly a circuit closer to the ground.

I've used the 3530-1700 with 7x6 or 7x5 prop on all my reapers.
jwjohnson is offline Find More Posts by jwjohnson
Old Sep 14, 2012, 04:39 PM
Planes in flames,,,
Gravity Sucks
Joined Aug 2010
3,559 Posts
Reaper with the 3530 is good for around 70 mph in level flight.
Not sure how fast your fast Assassin goes but in general speed isn't the biggest factor for successful combat.
My guess is that it may not (with the stock setup) be as fast as your fast Assassin. Most of our combat flying here get's done at half throttle.
The Reaper is not as nimble as the Assassin, but it is so much bigger that it is not only a bigger target, it also helps you to get more hits.
No other plane deals out punishment like a Reaper... The Reaper is the combat plane of choice here in our club.

My personal favorite right now is my Assassin. I run a 1700kv motor on it and a 2200 battery. It doesn't deal out the damage like a Reaper but
No other plane can take punishment like the Assassin!
jetpackninja is offline Find More Posts by jetpackninja
Old Sep 14, 2012, 04:41 PM
Planes in flames,,,
Gravity Sucks
Joined Aug 2010
3,559 Posts
Yeah- What Jeff said
jetpackninja is offline Find More Posts by jetpackninja
Old Sep 15, 2012, 05:04 PM
Fly Now.
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Aug 2012
53 Posts
The extreme tape in my ReaperXL build is not sticking great to the foam, especially around the motor mount. I'm wondering if I should pull it off and maybe use some spray adhesive to better secure it before the laminate, or will the heat from the laminating process secure it better anyways?
Parke_ParkeFlyer is offline Find More Posts by Parke_ParkeFlyer
Old Sep 15, 2012, 09:15 PM
wheeeeee!
United States, UT, Provo
Joined Oct 2011
916 Posts
Actually, it's normal for the e-tape not to stick well on bare foam. That's fine. First if all, it will adhere a lot more once you laminate. The heat from the iron will melt the adhesive on the tape a bit.

Second, as long as your e-tape is always wrapped around an edge, or better yet, onto the other end of the same, or other piece of e-tape, you're fine. The cross pattern over the motor mount helps hold the wing together on impact; the strips on the leading edge protect from tears in the foam due to tree branches, curbs, badgers, etc.; and the strips over the spars keep any broken/loosened spars from turning into "compound fractures" (ripping out the laminate surface and tearing out foam along with it.)

For all three of those purposes, it's less critical that the tape stick to the foam than it is that the tape itself doesn't tear.

In any case, like I said, after the heat from laminating, you'll be fine. Never heard of anyone having a problem with tape coming un-stuck underneath the laminate.

Just make sure that if you later slice through a piece of tape as you lay in your electronics, that you peel away a little laminate on either side, patch the cut tape-on-tape with at least an inch or so on either side, and re-laminate.
elCapitan is offline Find More Posts by elCapitan
Last edited by elCapitan; Sep 15, 2012 at 09:35 PM.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 08:30 PM
Fly Now.
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Aug 2012
53 Posts
Thanks elCapitan. Great info!
Parke_ParkeFlyer is offline Find More Posts by Parke_ParkeFlyer
Old Sep 18, 2012, 06:02 PM
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Sep 2012
27 Posts
I am looking for a motor/prop combo for an deep reaper xl running off 2x5000mAh 4S thats efficient for long flights (over an hour). Any suggestions? Keep in mind im already a mile high ASL.

I am using the reaper for autonomous UAV development; mainly flight control hardware/software and radio hardware.. The final airframe (x8) is going to run off 4S power and I'd really like to keep the power systems identical between the 2 platforms.

The Deep Reaper looks perfect for testing possibly unstable software; I need something that can take a licking and be back up in the air quickly. Ive been looking at other peoples builds but most seem to be working with 3S power plants. Batteries will be the majority of the weight, no GoPro's, PTZ's or the like.. Mostly small circuit boards and loads of sensors... I'd like to be able to cruise and get some distance to work out radio & antenna designs... or loiter for a while and test how flight software reacts to changing conditions.

I know this is kinda a loaded question; just looking for suggestions to see if I am on the right track.

Thanks,
-R
dreadlocks is offline Find More Posts by dreadlocks
Old Sep 21, 2012, 06:57 AM
Konstantin
Россия
Joined Mar 2011
65 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadlocks View Post
I am looking for a motor/prop combo for an deep reaper xl running off 2x5000mAh 4S thats efficient for long flights (over an hour). Any suggestions?
Hi!

I'm using RCTimer BC3530-8 1700KV motor with 7x4 prop and 2x4s2650 packs.
It gets 40A at takeoff and 8-12A at cruise speed 40-60km/h
Flight time about 30-40 minutes

I think the XL can carry 2x4s5000 but I'm not sure you can fit them inside.

My be better take a look to Hercules?

Regards,
Konstantin
cox8pilot is offline Find More Posts by cox8pilot
Old Sep 21, 2012, 07:31 AM
New Beeeeee
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Apr 2011
1,073 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadlocks View Post
I am looking for a motor/prop combo for an deep reaper xl running off 2x5000mAh 4S thats efficient for long flights (over an hour). Any suggestions? Keep in mind im already a mile high ASL.

I am using the reaper for autonomous UAV development; mainly flight control hardware/software and radio hardware.. The final airframe (x8) is going to run off 4S power and I'd really like to keep the power systems identical between the 2 platforms.

The Deep Reaper looks perfect for testing possibly unstable software; I need something that can take a licking and be back up in the air quickly. Ive been looking at other peoples builds but most seem to be working with 3S power plants. Batteries will be the majority of the weight, no GoPro's, PTZ's or the like.. Mostly small circuit boards and loads of sensors... I'd like to be able to cruise and get some distance to work out radio & antenna designs... or loiter for a while and test how flight software reacts to changing conditions.

I know this is kinda a loaded question; just looking for suggestions to see if I am on the right track.

Thanks,
-R

Deep Reaper with GoPro Set up "for me" is 30min+
2 x 4000mah 3s 20c
70A sec no BEC
10x10 prop
NTM 35-48 1100kv
stand alone BEC
Watts are 500
44A draw
50% throttle

Video
CTH Deep Reaper XL With shakes (5 min 39 sec)

It can easily take up 2 5000 3s

For 4s a 9x4 prop Watts go up to 600+
10x7 is pushing it on 4s

Hope this helps =)
RUBNorris is offline Find More Posts by RUBNorris
Old Sep 21, 2012, 11:53 AM
BUZZ KILL
Utah
Joined Aug 2010
1,081 Posts
Has anyone blown a 60amp hobbyWing ESC running it on a 3536 with a 9x6 prop?
Plane Insane RC is offline Find More Posts by Plane Insane RC