HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 31, 2012, 10:33 PM
wheeeeee!
United States, UT, Provo
Joined Oct 2011
916 Posts
I would go ahead and buy a new system, personally. PlaneInsaneRC.com has a combo kit for a good price, or HK's NTM Prop-Drive series is a pretty good deal
elCapitan is offline Find More Posts by elCapitan
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 01, 2012, 01:06 AM
United States, CT, New Haven
Joined Dec 2011
166 Posts
Friday my Grim Reaper had it's maiden flight and this is wing flew out of my hands at 3/4 throttle and needed very little trim. The COG was spot on and man this thing hauls WOT. Can't wait to try her with the 1800kv. Oh and it was windy about 10 to 15 mph winds and stronger gust.

These wings are great. Already looking at the Titan.
cmaynex is offline Find More Posts by cmaynex
Old Sep 01, 2012, 03:10 AM
New Beeeeee
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Apr 2011
1,109 Posts
I finished my Reaper XL today and ready for its maiden. Getting 500Watts with a 10x10prop. Low Amps. Not bad for a NTM motor. I'll try to post video. Looks nice but i would like alittle more room for folding wires =) Eh, I'll test tomorrow..

Deep Reaper XL Build 2012 (4 min 49 sec)
RUBNorris is offline Find More Posts by RUBNorris
Old Sep 02, 2012, 10:22 PM
New Beeeeee
Joined Apr 2011
1,109 Posts
Here's my Deep Reaper XL. Very happy BUT! With it was alittle bit thicker and Elivons Vibrate bad at high speed. It flaps very loud. My buddys where freaked out by the EPP elivons. Might need to switch to balsa.
But I like it. 30+ flight times

CTH Deep Reaper XL Maiden (5 min 39 sec)
Old Sep 03, 2012, 12:44 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,328 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUBNorris View Post
Here's my Deep Reaper XL. Very happy BUT! With it was alittle bit thicker and Elivons Vibrate bad at high speed. It flaps very loud. My buddys where freaked out by the EPP elivons. Might need to switch to balsa.
But I like it. 30+ flight times
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJLYHa0nRJ4
I noticed you tapered your elevons so there isn't much material to mount the horns in. This may have weakened the elevons and caused the flex that is allowing the elevon to flutter.

We have not had a flutter problem with the full elevon in place as long as the linkages and servos are tight.

Lee
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
Old Sep 03, 2012, 11:12 PM
New Beeeeee
Joined Apr 2011
1,109 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
I noticed you tapered your elevons so there isn't much material to mount the horns in. This may have weakened the elevons and caused the flex that is allowing the elevon to flutter.

We have not had a flutter problem with the full elevon in place as long as the linkages and servos are tight.

Lee
Yeah i noticed that that would be a problem. When lamming them they still flexed and thought about the weight of a high speed pass like I was doing on my 3rd flight. I still am going to switch to balsa. I would feel safe with them carring my gear.
For the servos they shake alittle like on my ZII by ritewing and they dont flutter. I think I can make it work. =)
Old Sep 04, 2012, 01:21 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,328 Posts
I have gone back and replaced all of the balsa elevons on the old planes with EPP elevons. I think it is all in how you set them up including the linkages and choice of servos. I am using more standard sized servos on the planes bigger than 40" to make sure I am not stalling the servos.

I saw some great aerobatic flying today with a local flyer and a Reaper. I have seen him fly alot of times but he really has some surprising stunts he is doing with the Reaper. he is using an Axi 2808/24 motor and is getting surprising long flights with a 9x6 prop.
Old Sep 04, 2012, 11:42 AM
Fly Now.
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Aug 2012
66 Posts
Thanks for the explanation of "reflex". -- I'm about to cut the notch for the motor and being a FPV rig, the build guide says to put it 14" from the nose (DR-XL). This requires not much foam removal and I have no reason to defer from the guide, but I've seen several pictures with much deeper cuts. Tonight I hope to temporarily place the gear to get a better idea of CG, but was wondering if there was a general consensus. Where are most of you putting your motor?
Parke_ParkeFlyer is offline Find More Posts by Parke_ParkeFlyer
Old Sep 04, 2012, 12:06 PM
New Beeeeee
Joined Apr 2011
1,109 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parke_ParkeFlyer View Post
Thanks for the explanation of "reflex". -- I'm about to cut the notch for the motor and being a FPV rig, the build guide says to put it 14" from the nose (DR-XL). This requires not much foam removal and I have no reason to defer from the guide, but I've seen several pictures with much deeper cuts. Tonight I hope to temporarily place the gear to get a better idea of CG, but was wondering if there was a general consensus. Where are most of you putting your motor?
I would say, it depends on battery size . Mine is 14-15" back and ment for 2 4000 3s packs. Mark your cg and tape everthing on to about its lacation and make your call. Just dont cut too early.
Old Sep 04, 2012, 08:32 PM
wheeeeee!
United States, UT, Provo
Joined Oct 2011
916 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parke_ParkeFlyer View Post
It's kind of a catch-22. If you wanted to figure out exactly how far to cut out for the motor, you'd have to get everything balanced first, then cut out the trailing edge. But at the same time, you can't get everything balanced until it's all laminated, and you can't laminate until the shock cord is in, and you can't put the shock cord in until you've cut out the trailing edge! ...hm, darnit.

I followed what the instructions say, and I use two 4000 mAh batteries, a GoPro (without case) and minimal fpv gear. It was pretty close, but I had to put the batteries farther forward than I wanted, so if I were to do it again, I would have cut the motor up another inch.

Even still, most of the weight is from all that laminated wing behind CG, so don't be shy about loading it up with a second camera if you want, or plenty of battery power. It can certainly take the weight.
elCapitan is offline Find More Posts by elCapitan
Old Sep 08, 2012, 03:56 PM
Joined Dec 2011
166 Posts
Took the Reaper out in 20 mph winds and 30 mph gust. I had to use all my limited skills not to crash. I did alright and had a lot of fun. Kept me on my toes. Waiting for another pair of video sunglasses in the mail. First pair worked great, tried them out and then left them on the charger to long and killed the battery.

I know this horse has been beat to death but I want to get in to FPV and wanted to hear ideas for beginners?
Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 08, 2012, 06:53 PM
New Beeeeee
Joined Apr 2011
1,109 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmaynex View Post
Took the Reaper out in 20 mph winds and 30 mph gust. I had to use all my limited skills not to crash. I did alright and had a lot of fun. Kept me on my toes. Waiting for another pair of video sunglasses in the mail. First pair worked great, tried them out and then left them on the charger to long and killed the battery.

I know this horse has been beat to death but I want to get in to FPV and wanted to hear ideas for beginners?
Thanks in advance.
5.8ghz set from Hobbyking. Best beginner set out.
Old Sep 08, 2012, 08:43 PM
Joined Dec 2011
166 Posts
Are you talking about the silver ones?
Old Sep 08, 2012, 09:51 PM
New Beeeeee
Joined Apr 2011
1,109 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmaynex View Post
Are you talking about the silver ones?

Hot items

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Tx_Rx_Set.html

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...era_NTSC_.html

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-3-TFT-Colo...item256f0a87e2

With some CL antenas
Old Sep 08, 2012, 10:30 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,328 Posts
I told you that we had a flyer that has built his Reaper light and does some flat spins and rolls that are worth seeing. Here is a video with a little combat towards the end.

Reaper Stunts - Randy 9-12 (5 min 45 sec)