HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 15, 2012, 03:42 PM
Joined Jul 2010
217 Posts
Horn Torque rod

Also, make sure the servo horns are glued in very well. I saw one guy with an almost-uncontrollable assassin, and he build everything perfectly except the servo horns were basically sliding up and down through the elevon. Doesn't do any good if your servos and push rods are solid, but the horn they attach to isn't firmly fixed to the elevon.

If you want the horns really solid, you can melt a slot through the base of the horn with a soldering iron after fixing horn and glue in a length of cocktail stick or bamboo skewer.

A bit OTT but horn becomes part of elevon

~~~~~~H
CaribbeanBlue is offline Find More Posts by CaribbeanBlue
Last edited by CaribbeanBlue; Jul 15, 2012 at 03:50 PM. Reason: added
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 15, 2012, 06:15 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,954 Posts
Thanks very much everyone. I suspected it may be flex. I'll do some redesign...
Gree is offline Find More Posts by Gree
Old Jul 15, 2012, 07:34 PM
Fly, crash, repair, repeat....
United States, UT, West Jordan
Joined Sep 2011
324 Posts
Well I maidened the Deep Reaper XL today. Flew pretty good, but really fast and nose heavy.

The motor was also cutting out on me and was over heating. Anyone else have this issue before? Im using the hobbywing 60 amp esc, 1800kv motor, 9x6 prop, and a 3s 4000mah. Only was able to get a few minutes of flight out of it and the battery was alreay at 45% I was hoping to get around 15-30 min of flight out of this wing.

Anyways, heres the video I got. Not the greatest but was still fun.

Deep Reaper XL maiden (1 min 43 sec)
BlenderBoy is offline Find More Posts by BlenderBoy
Old Jul 15, 2012, 07:41 PM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,926 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonspawn78 View Post
Well I maidened the Deep Reaper XL today. Flew pretty good, but really fast and nose heavy.

The motor was also cutting out on me and was over heating. Anyone else have this issue before? Im using the hobbywing 60 amp esc, 1800kv motor, 9x6 prop, and a 3s 4000mah. Only was able to get a few minutes of flight out of it and the battery was alreay at 45% I was hoping to get around 15-30 min of flight out of this wing.

Anyways, heres the video I got. Not the greatest but was still fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohdMA...ature=youtu.be
That's a really high KV for a Deep Reaper, and the battery is too small. most FPV pilots fly this plane on either two 3S 4000 packs, or two 4S 3300 packs. So add a second pack like the one you have, and drop the pitch on the prop to a 9x5. Or drop it to a 1500 KV motor on 10X6 prop. I get 18 minutes on my Deep Reaper.
Wind_of_Change is offline Find More Posts by Wind_of_Change
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 15, 2012, 07:46 PM
Joined Sep 2011
324 Posts
Ok thanks for the reply. I was told to use this motor and prop combo from Lee and the guy at Rcplaneinsane, so thats what I got.

What if I went to a lower kv motor? Im looking at the eflite power 10 1100 kv motor with a 10x5 prop. Will that slow it down and give me more stability and flight time?
Old Jul 16, 2012, 09:13 AM
Bazinga!
South Africa, KZN, Durban
Joined Feb 2007
624 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gree View Post
Ok grim reaper experts. Can someone tell me why my reaper bounces up and down constantly? Wind or calm it doesn't seem to make much difference. Check this out...

http://vimeo.com/45777783

The Zephyr following me is very smooth when you watch the video from his plane.

Hope someone has the answer for me! I'm getting sea sick.
It looks like there's a lot of free play between your one servo horn and the pushrod. It might be that the hole in the horn is too big for the pushrod. Any free play there might cause the control surface to move as well.
Moelich73 is offline Find More Posts by Moelich73
Old Jul 16, 2012, 09:22 AM
wheeeeee!
United States, UT, Provo
Joined Oct 2011
916 Posts
I dunno, looks like he's using the EZ connectors on the horn side, so if that's where the problem is, he'd just have to tighten the EZ connector.
elCapitan is offline Find More Posts by elCapitan
Old Jul 16, 2012, 11:27 AM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,926 Posts
Quote:
Ok thanks for the reply. I was told to use this motor and prop combo from Lee and the guy at Rcplaneinsane, so thats what I got.

What if I went to a lower kv motor? Im looking at the eflite power 10 1100 kv motor with a 10x5 prop. Will that slow it down and give me more stability and flight time?
That'll likely be too weak. On 4S packs that motor would be perfect, but it's not rated for 4S and would probably burn up. You'd be wanting more power on 3S probably. Is this an FPV plane, or just a general flying plane? Most guys flying 3S go with approximately 1500 kv on 10x6, or around 1750kv on 9x6. You're not that far off with your current motor, but if that's too hot, then you maybe want something on the lower KV range like this.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Kv%5F550W.html

Get the mounting kit, as this particular motor doesn't come with one. But any motor this size and approximate KV on a 10x6 or 10x5 would give you good thrust for maneuvering without the crazy speed. But you'll need to add a second battery to get the kind of lengthy flight times you mentioned.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 16, 2012, 11:48 AM
Joined Sep 2011
324 Posts
I have my gopro mounted on it now, but am going to getting a dragonlink soon to start doing fpv with it.

If I added a second battery, how would I double the capacity and not the cells? Also how would a second battery help this motor, the added weight?

I'm going to order that 1400 kv motor, but in the mean time would a smaller prop cool down the motor I have so I can at least fly it?
Old Jul 16, 2012, 11:50 AM
Joined Sep 2011
324 Posts
Sorry for the thousand questions, I'm a heli guy and dont fly planes much.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 12:26 PM
United States, MD, Chesapeake Beach
Joined Jan 2011
403 Posts
Quote:
If I added a second battery, how would I double the capacity and not the cells?
Use a parallel battery adapter to double the capacity. A serial adapter doubles the cell count. I've bought a couple of each from this thread, and they work great!

Quote:
I'm going to order that 1400 kv motor, but in the mean time would a smaller prop cool down the motor I have so I can at least fly it?
I was spinning a 7 x 6 prop on my standard Grim Reaper, when I was running a 3530-1700kv motor. I would think propping down any smaller than that would be too small for a Deep Reaper, or any larger wing for that matter. A 7 x 6 would probably still run a bit warm on a 1800kv motor, but certainly cooler than the 9 x 6 prop.
fnffishcore is offline Find More Posts by fnffishcore
Old Jul 16, 2012, 01:00 PM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,926 Posts
Yeah, you need a parallel adapter to add the 2nd battery. It will double your flight time by doubling your amps. The voltage (cell count) stays the same. Don't use a series connector, it'll fry everything in your plane.

If you live in a hot area, you may want a higher motor rating, one that can handle more watts, like this one:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...r%5FMotor.html

Or this one

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...r%5FMotor.html

I prefer the 42mm motor lengths for 4S setups on the Deep Reeper, but if you life in a hot climate, it may also be better for your 3S setup. Same KV, but won't get as hot. If you're risking your expensive FPV gear, safe is good.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 16, 2012, 05:41 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,954 Posts
Thanks for the extra input on my bounce issue. On close inspection the pushrods flex a fair bit and the elevons are spongey where the horn goes in. The hell with EPP elevons. I am having some balsa ones made up and am rebuilding my linkages to be bullet proof. Thank guys really appreciate the support and advice.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 11:47 PM
wheeeeee!
United States, UT, Provo
Joined Oct 2011
916 Posts
I know some people just end up preferring balsa, but I really wouldn't say the EPP is the problem. Plenty of us are NOT having that issue, and still using EPP.

Did you double-laminate the entire elevon? Glue the horns in with plenty of glue? I usually use my crappy soldering iron (used only for melting foam) to melt completely through the elevon to create the slot for the servo horn. That's a lot of extra space that gets filled up with hot glue, and mine are rock solid.
elCapitan is offline Find More Posts by elCapitan
Old Jul 17, 2012, 01:21 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,954 Posts
Elevons were taped and laminated as per instructions, and horns securely glued in. They move a bit because foam around the edge of the glue is flexing, the glue joint itself is sturdy. I'm just going to replace them to remove all doubt. Someone is making me a set for $10 so well worth it...