HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 12, 2012, 03:22 PM
Fly, crash, repair, repeat....
United States, UT, West Jordan
Joined Sep 2011
322 Posts
Ok good to know, so its all or nothing with the ultracote then, you can't just use pieces of it for designs?
BlenderBoy is offline Find More Posts by BlenderBoy
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 12, 2012, 03:47 PM
Planes in flames,,,
Gravity Sucks
Joined Aug 2010
3,312 Posts
Not all or nothing.
You could still cover with clear first and just add accents with Ultracote.

Ultracote or the clear lam- just don't skip the covering. Cover it, and then add your accents.
The covering adds lots of strength to the foam.
jetpackninja is offline Find More Posts by jetpackninja
Old Jul 12, 2012, 06:11 PM
Hit Me! Please!
Provo, UT
Joined Jan 2005
3,862 Posts
@ demonspawn - if you want to use ultra-cote just for trim colors it works great. I do that all the time over the laminate and it works well. It does tend to start to peel up a bit after 40 or 50 combat hits or so, but some clear tape will stick it back down. I've never tried putting it under the lam. Maybe something for next time.
jwjohnson is offline Find More Posts by jwjohnson
Old Jul 13, 2012, 09:12 AM
Joined Sep 2011
322 Posts
Thanks for the tips. I got the wing glued together and spars installer last night. More tonight.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 10:05 AM
Joined Sep 2011
322 Posts
Got a question about battery placement. I'm going to be using 1 gens ace 3s 4000 mah. Do I just balance it in the center or do i need to have a dummy pack on each side of the wing like in the photos on the website?
Old Jul 13, 2012, 01:32 PM
wheeeeee!
United States, UT, Provo
Joined Oct 2011
904 Posts
Doesn't really matter, as long as you attain the property center of gravity. That's the key. Just make sure the wing balances front-to-back at ....I forget what you're building, reaper, Dr, or drxl, but the instructions will tell you
elCapitan is offline Find More Posts by elCapitan
Old Jul 13, 2012, 02:00 PM
Hit Me! Please!
Provo, UT
Joined Jan 2005
3,862 Posts
I would strongly recommend getting all the taping, lamination, elevons, wing tips, motor, esc, etc done and installed before cutting out anything for the servos/radio/and most importantly the battery. I just move things around and hold them in place with a bit of tape until you get everything placed where you want it and the CG is correct. Then cut the slots for everything and if needed cover them with a bit of extra laminate or just tape is what I use. It will save you having to add weight or move the battery around after the fact.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 04:28 PM
wheeeeee!
United States, UT, Provo
Joined Oct 2011
904 Posts
exactly. Just follow the pdf instructions.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 05:22 PM
Joined Sep 2011
322 Posts
Yup, I planned on that and have seen pics of others doing the same even putting the gopro etc on there which I plan to do to test the CG. I just wanted to make sure the reaper xl was ok to fly with "less" weight then pictured on the website and others I have seen and read built used a dummy pack to weight it.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 06:35 PM
Hit Me! Please!
Provo, UT
Joined Jan 2005
3,862 Posts
The reason for the dummy pack is just to balance the plane. It's a handy weight. To my way of thinking, if you are going to have an extra battery, use it for flying the plane. No sense carrying around dead weight.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 05:13 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,905 Posts
Ok grim reaper experts. Can someone tell me why my reaper bounces up and down constantly? Wind or calm it doesn't seem to make much difference. Check this out...

Tailed by Zephyr, and bloody bouncy! (2 min 44 sec)

The Zephyr following me is very smooth when you watch the video from his plane.

Hope someone has the answer for me! I'm getting sea sick.
Gree is offline Find More Posts by Gree
Old Jul 15, 2012, 09:28 AM
Hit Me! Please!
Provo, UT
Joined Jan 2005
3,862 Posts
Do you have an autopilot or stabilizer of some sort in the plane?
Old Jul 15, 2012, 09:39 AM
Joined Jul 2010
205 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gree View Post
Ok grim reaper experts. Can someone tell me why my reaper bounces up and down constantly? Wind or calm it doesn't seem to make much difference. Check this out...

The Zephyr following me is very smooth when you watch the video from his plane.

Hope someone has the answer for me! I'm getting sea sick.
Your left hand elevon is moving up and down when the right is still............too much play in linkage?
Servos are a long way out of the wing~~~control rods should be almost touching the wing surface ideally~~~~~~~~~~~H
CaribbeanBlue is offline Find More Posts by CaribbeanBlue
Old Jul 15, 2012, 10:04 AM
Joined May 2012
66 Posts
I'd guess sloppy servos.
mebillica is offline Find More Posts by mebillica
Old Jul 15, 2012, 10:54 AM
wheeeeee!
United States, UT, Provo
Joined Oct 2011
904 Posts
Or a mix of both. If you went with cheap servos, I'd replace 'em. Either way, it's better to have the rod down close to the foam.

It looks like you're using the metal staples Lee includes in the kit to keep the push rod from flexing. I really like them because they're narrow, so the rod can't move side-to-side much, but if the rod is up too high off the foam, you're forced to put the staple in high as well, which leaves room for the rod to bow downward.

Also, make sure the servo horns are glued in very well. I saw one guy with an almost-uncontrollable assassin, and he build everything perfectly except the servo horns were basically sliding up and down through the elevon. Doesn't do any good if your servos and push rods are solid, but the horn they attach to isn't firmly fixed to the elevon.

Last thing, I noticed your ESC is sticking up on top of the wing. While this probably isn't causing the bouncing, it also probably doesn't help. Unnecessary resistance, and especially right in front of the prop, it's causing the air to be turbulent right before going through the prop. Might consider finding a way to dig that down in (but keep proper CG, of course)