HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 22, 2012, 02:37 PM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,914 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridgewalker View Post
Between these two motors,which do you think would be better in a 2.5 lb Reaper....http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...80-Plus/Detail..

Or

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...h-14%29/Detail

Ridgewalker
If you're talking a standard Grim Reaper with no FPV gear or anything, then the 1400kv motor is much better for general wing flying. An 8x6 or 9x6 prop on 3S should be good for that motor. You'd have to have a huge prop to fly with a 1000kv motor, or fly on 4S batteries.
Wind_of_Change is offline Find More Posts by Wind_of_Change
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 22, 2012, 02:51 PM
The lunatic is on the grass
Joined Aug 2008
4,927 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetpackninja View Post
The standard Grim Reaper or a deep reaper?
Combat? FPV? or casual flying?

The 3530-14 is very similar to the motors Planeinsane is recommending with a 9x3.8 prop.
I haven't flown the 1400kv but I hear people have had good results
.....i asked about the motors in the Reaper..... but the wing is a scratchbuilt one and is much like the Reaper in size and area and was hoping you Reaper guys might be able to offer some help.

There is a video of it flying here .....the motor used was only a 180 watt and spinning a 9x5 with max thrust at 30 oz...3s 1300 mah batteryhttp://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...ostcount=12219

Again,i understand this is the Reaper thread and really would rather not have asked for help in here since my wing is not a real Reaper ...but i'm kind of stuck with deciding on which motor.....

Thank you for any help.

Ridgewalker
ridgewalker is offline Find More Posts by ridgewalker
Last edited by ridgewalker; Jun 26, 2012 at 12:55 AM.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 03:04 PM
Planes in flames,,,
Gravity Sucks
Joined Aug 2010
3,571 Posts
Either of these motors are going to work.
The 1000kv motor is going to want to swing a bigger prop.
You might want to try a 10x5

The 1400kv may swing a 9x6,but I suspect it would be marginal if not too much for the motor.
(prob better off with a 9x4.5 or 9x3.8)

didn't watch the vid but if you were flying well with a 180w motor you will be fine with either one of these
jetpackninja is offline Find More Posts by jetpackninja
Old Jun 22, 2012, 03:09 PM
The lunatic is on the grass
Joined Aug 2008
4,927 Posts
Thank you jetpackninja, i could fit a 10'' prop if needed,10'' is the limit.
It did fly on the 180 watt ok,kind of scale (slow) like and not enough power to climb at a steep angle,motor was pretty hot when done flying.

Appreciate the advice,thanks again.

Ridgewalker
ridgewalker is offline Find More Posts by ridgewalker
Old Jun 22, 2012, 06:12 PM
wheeeeee!
United States, UT, Provo
Joined Oct 2011
916 Posts
Yes, I'm running the 3530 1400kv blue motor, and it flies great on a regular reaper. I'm going to swap the 3536 1400 on my DRXL to a 3536 1800, though. Just needs more speed. Flies ok, but feels a tad sluggish compared to my other CTH planes
elCapitan is offline Find More Posts by elCapitan
Old Jun 22, 2012, 11:45 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,254 Posts
Which prop are you using on the 3536-1800? The motor is enough to make a Herc pusher aerobatic.
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
Old Jun 23, 2012, 01:49 AM
wheeeeee!
United States, UT, Provo
Joined Oct 2011
916 Posts
I'm planning on a 7x4 or 7x5
elCapitan is offline Find More Posts by elCapitan
Old Jun 23, 2012, 07:59 PM
Joined Jun 2010
293 Posts
I'm thinking about getting a Reaper,deep or grim. This is a big ol heavy wing at 2.5lbs and I'm not sure at my age I can launch it. Anybody ever set up a bungee launcher? That would sure make my sore arm feel better just thinking about it.

Maybe I should buy a bitty wing?
Aaron 1 is offline Find More Posts by Aaron 1
Old Jun 23, 2012, 10:29 PM
Planes in flames,,,
Gravity Sucks
Joined Aug 2010
3,571 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron 1 View Post
I'm thinking about getting a Reaper,deep or grim. This is a big ol heavy wing at 2.5lbs and I'm not sure at my age I can launch it. Anybody ever set up a bungee launcher? That would sure make my sore arm feel better just thinking about it.

The reaper is easy to launch. Learn the sidearm launch. It will fly out of your hand once you learn the technique.

The assassin makes a great first wing if you are con erned about the learning curve

Have you flown wings before
jetpackninja is offline Find More Posts by jetpackninja
Old Jun 23, 2012, 11:43 PM
Joined Jun 2010
293 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetpackninja View Post
The reaper is easy to launch. Learn the sidearm launch. It will fly out of your hand once you learn the technique.

The assassin makes a great first wing if you are con erned about the learning curve

Have you flown wings before
================================================

Many years back a long time ago I had a couple of Zagi's when they first came out.. A lot of fun and I just plain wore both of them out. I still have the brushless inrunner some where buried in the shop. The Outrunners came in and I started flying normal airplanes.

Full circle and I want a wing. We have a lot of wind here and the Zag did not care one bit. Mess up and it bounced. Total fun. The years have taken it's toll on me and I need big slow planes . So I ended up here. The Reaper gets very good PR. I'll check out the assassin.

Just checked the assasin. 34" is a bit small but I'll think about it. If I can find my Zagi inrunner I'm set and the price is right. at $50. The 55" Reaper looks like a nice plane if I can launch it.
Last edited by Aaron 1; Jun 23, 2012 at 11:49 PM.
Old Jun 24, 2012, 03:46 AM
Bazinga!
South Africa, KZN, Durban
Joined Feb 2007
623 Posts
Quote:

I regularly use a bungee cord, as my Deep Reaper is heavy with all the FPV equipment (2.5kg). I made a bungee hook out of piano wire. It works well

You can see the bungee launch at the beginning of the video:

FPV - Sugar Rush (7 min 46 sec)
Moelich73 is offline Find More Posts by Moelich73
Old Jun 24, 2012, 10:15 AM
Joined Jun 2010
293 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moelich73 View Post
I regularly use a bungee cord, as my Deep Reaper is heavy with all the FPV equipment (2.5kg). I made a bungee hook out of piano wire. It works well

http://vimeo.com/40439290

==================================================

Is the hook position sensitive? I made a carrier with wheels for my Zagi. Didn't work,the plane didn't have enough thrust. So I put a motor on the Carrier,Duh, that didn't work either. Never got around to a bungee.

What do you use for the bungee and how long? ? $? More questions, Is the prop hitting the ground on landing a problem?

Good pics,very stable and smooth.
Old Jun 24, 2012, 10:19 AM
Joined Jun 2010
293 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moelich73 View Post

http://vimeo.com/40439290

Is the hook position sensitive? I made a carrier with wheels for my Zagi. Didn't work,the plane didn't have enough thrust. So I put a motor on the Carrier,Duh, that didn't work either What I did learn however was never try new stuff in front of club members! . Never got around to a bungee. Nobody in our club flys wings. Stick in the mud old guys with slimers. About 1/2 now have an electric so progress is being made. I made start something with a good wing.

What do you use for the bungee and how long? ? $? More questions, Is the prop hitting the ground on landing a problem?

Old Jun 24, 2012, 11:23 AM
Bazinga!
South Africa, KZN, Durban
Joined Feb 2007
623 Posts
Quote:

Is the hook position sensitive? I made a carrier with wheels for my Zagi. Didn't work,the plane didn't have enough thrust. So I put a motor on the Carrier,Duh, that didn't work either What I did learn however was never try new stuff in front of club members! . Never got around to a bungee. Nobody in our club flys wings. Stick in the mud old guys with slimers. About 1/2 now have an electric so progress is being made. I made start something with a good wing.

I placed the hook 11cm from the nose of the Deep Reaper XL, and it pulls the wing at a nice level angle.
The bungee cord is the blue bungee cord from HK (8mm dia I think). I cut it in half and that length works fine. I give it a decent stretch and hold onto the motor mount at the back with one hand, while the other hand is on the elevator stick. Once I release, I add a bit of up elevator, and open throttle once it's off the hook.

Make sure your anchor peg is secure in the ground! I use two large pegs for extra security.
Moelich73 is offline Find More Posts by Moelich73
Old Jun 24, 2012, 12:13 PM
Joined Jun 2010
293 Posts
I think I'm all set up. I have several old but good AXI motors in my motor box. Looks like the AXI 2814/14 @ 1390KV is a good fit. I have a folding prop for it Aeronaut. about 10x6. Had it in a glider at one time with nicds. I'll use 3 each A1 Li ions on this motor. Dewalt batteries that can't be beat. This set up should pull like a tractor. I switched from AXI to Scorpion because of price and more power. The AXI is sure a better built motor. A bit more weight and a bit less power but for this ap no problem .

Did I read something about a shaft extender? I've read so much on wings I can't remember were or what. The shaft on the AXI is 4mm. If I need an extender I'll have to make sure I can get one before ordering. Any info here?