HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 13, 2012, 12:20 PM
AMA 937634
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Jan 2010
1,592 Posts
I tried a prop saver on my Reaper XL and then decided to go with a collet.

The APC 9x6E props that I use are around $2 each and I haven't broken one yet though I have put a couple of dings in one. I balanced it out and it still flies!

I do use the prop savers on my Assassin and my Widowmaker but those are combat airplanes and my XL is used for FPV.

-Mike
Stone1295 is offline Find More Posts by Stone1295
to remove ads between posts
Old May 13, 2012, 06:10 PM
Payson, Utah
Joined Feb 2010
147 Posts
Someone had mentioned storm chaiser some posts back. I will be starting my build with a pod this week. Will post pic on the storm chaiser thread maby some of us can work togeather and help each other. If its half the plane as the DEEP REAPER ill giggle like a school girl.
burhead27 is offline Find More Posts by burhead27
Old May 13, 2012, 09:23 PM
Asheville,NC
Joined Jun 2002
831 Posts
Storm Chaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by burhead27 View Post
Someone had mentioned storm chaiser some posts back. I will be starting my build with a pod this week. Will post pic on the storm chaiser thread maby some of us can work togeather and help each other. If its half the plane as the DEEP REAPER ill giggle like a school girl.
Just flew mine Friday PM flys just fine - just like the pelican and albatross
I had a CC 50 Amp Esc and Nano tech 5000 . As Lee mentioned to me , LE of wing is approx 11 " from the Nose and mine worked out to be 11 3/16th

Is there a S Chaser Thread ? .................te
Tom Eutsler is offline Find More Posts by Tom Eutsler
Old May 13, 2012, 10:05 PM
United States, MI, Detroit
Joined Feb 2004
9,090 Posts
I flew the SS FPV, and recently converted to the albatross. Albatross is much better, but the SS does fly slower (good for between the trees flying). The albatross is definitely tough as nails, I've slammed it into the ground, with not a scratch.

On a side note, anyone have recommendations on how to quiet the Reaper down slightly? I have the prop about 2 inches behind the trailing edge. The only obvious thing I can think of is to turn the blunt TE into a sharper edge.

I did put a fairing in front of the motor and behind my HD camera, which actually raised the cruise speed by 5 mph.
ashdec87 is offline Find More Posts by ashdec87
Old May 13, 2012, 10:28 PM
Planes in flames,,,
Gravity Sucks
Joined Aug 2010
3,519 Posts
You are on to something with tapering the edge.
That will help.
Which motor and prop combo are you using?
Lower KV motor, bigger prop would likely quiet it down too.
jetpackninja is offline Find More Posts by jetpackninja
Old May 13, 2012, 10:46 PM
wheeeeee!
United States, UT, Provo
Joined Oct 2011
916 Posts
The TE of the Reaper is already somewhat thin, so if you're using a shock cord, you might run into problems there. But I hear some people have started installing the shock cord in a slit on the bottom of the foan, about 1" in from the TE, instead of right along the perimeter. That would allow you to use a shock cord AND taper the TE a bit more. Never tried it, but sounds like a way to have both.
elCapitan is offline Find More Posts by elCapitan
Old May 13, 2012, 10:48 PM
Joined Feb 2004
9,090 Posts
I'm using a 1400kv on a 4s pack with a 8x6 prop. I know I can go larger with a lower kv, but I wanted a higher speed.

Capt- The way I cut the wing to allow for the prop, the cut edge is pretty thick/blunt. I think that's where most of the sound comes from. At a higher RPM, you can literally hear the prop "gurgle" in the turbulence from the wing. Its there weirdest thing. I think I can taper it without cutting the shock cord.

Oh last time I flew the Reaper I decided to keep 90% of the FPV flight under 50 feet and over 50mph. Needless to say, it turned out to be an awesome video. I'll have it uploaded tomorrow.
Last edited by ashdec87; May 13, 2012 at 10:53 PM.
Old May 13, 2012, 10:53 PM
wheeeeee!
United States, UT, Provo
Joined Oct 2011
916 Posts
Yeah, if you can, then do it. When I built my DRXL I obviously had to cut out the back, and completely forgot about tapering the TE. It was very loud (about 1" of flat surface on the TE. I tapered it later and could barely believe the difference it made. Much quieter.

The guy I often build and fly with did the same thing with a mid-motor Roswell. Huge difference in sound once he tapered it, front and back.
elCapitan is offline Find More Posts by elCapitan
Old May 13, 2012, 11:04 PM
BUZZ KILL
Utah
Joined Aug 2010
1,068 Posts
I've flown a lot with a slow stick and now with the Albatross. The Albatross with a flat wing is killer for FPV. It's small, light and with the flat wing and ailerons can be flown pretty aggressively but is still really stable. The best part is I don't destroy the plane when I put it in my car like I do with the slow sticks.

Ryan
Plane Insane RC is offline Find More Posts by Plane Insane RC
Old May 13, 2012, 11:20 PM
Joined Feb 2004
9,090 Posts
capt- ok, i'll give it a shot.

Ryan- I love that motor mount. I might have to copy!
Old May 13, 2012, 11:27 PM
Planes in flames,,,
Gravity Sucks
Joined Aug 2010
3,519 Posts
Ryan,
What did you make the motor pod mount out of?
Can you take a couple of pics that show how you mount it to the fuse?
jetpackninja is offline Find More Posts by jetpackninja
Old May 14, 2012, 09:35 AM
BUZZ KILL
Utah
Joined Aug 2010
1,068 Posts
It’s just made it from aluminum from Lowe’s bent 90 degrees and then a bit more to give it a slight up angle. A soldering iron was used to melt some foam out under the wing so it sits level with the wing saddle. I hot glued and extreme tapped it in place. I did the same thing with my Storm Chaser. Now you can order a Storm Chaser with a wood pod mount. When I got mine, it wasn’t an option. I’ll try to get some pictures.
Plane Insane RC is offline Find More Posts by Plane Insane RC
Old May 14, 2012, 11:17 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,103 Posts
I like the wood mounts and they are a little easier to make and wood is always easy to get, but I also have seen and like Ryan's mount.
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
Old May 14, 2012, 11:47 AM
Payson, Utah
Joined Feb 2010
147 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Eutsler View Post
Just flew mine Friday PM flys just fine - just like the pelican and albatross
I had a CC 50 Amp Esc and Nano tech 5000 . As Lee mentioned to me , LE of wing is approx 11 " from the Nose and mine worked out to be 11 3/16th

Is there a S Chaser Thread ? .................te
YES try this http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...t=storm+chaser
burhead27 is offline Find More Posts by burhead27
Old May 14, 2012, 11:56 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,103 Posts
We are waiting on the instructions and the full beta tests then we will start an FPV thread. Until then it is mixed in with the Pelican and Albatross.

We are pleased with the feedback so far. Looks like we have an easy simple FPV plane
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee