That's a good point, I agree Lee.
nkkromhof is offline Find More Posts by nkkromhof
to remove ads between posts
Old May 10, 2012, 01:10 PM
wheeeeee!
United States, UT, Provo
Joined Oct 2011
916 Posts
Great planes, both the Albatross and Storm Chaser. That's a good suggestion.

You said you're on a budget, though, so the Albatross would probably be a little better to try out your FPV stuff while you build a wing (and a little simpler to build than the Storm Chaser) As long as you keep it light. If you're on a tight budget, I couldn't blame you for stickin' with the stick, but it's true, it won't fare as well in a crash.
elCapitan is offline Find More Posts by elCapitan
Old May 10, 2012, 03:01 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,236 Posts
We put the motor on a pod on one of the Storm Chaser variations. This could easily be done on the Albatross too if you wanted to do FPV.
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
Old May 10, 2012, 03:14 PM
Planes in flames,,,
Gravity Sucks
Joined Aug 2010
3,571 Posts
Maybe Ryan could post a few quick snaps of his Albatross with the motor pod mod and his FPV setup
jetpackninja is offline Find More Posts by jetpackninja
Old May 10, 2012, 03:25 PM
Planes in flames,,,
Gravity Sucks
Joined Aug 2010
3,571 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
Our EPP Albatoss will fly better in wind and is 10X more durable than a Slowstick. Some of you who have owned and flown both tell us how you think they compare. The Albatross has a true airfoil and can handle wind better but yet fly slower with the same load.
A failed launch or a bad landing may not kill a slow stick. But you're probably done for the day. The Albatross is awesome. This crash would have very likely broken a slow stick. The Albatross just needed a new prop...

The slow stick flies GREAT with the Albatross wing.

Yeah- The swamp got it's name for a reason (6 min 53 sec)
Old May 10, 2012, 04:24 PM
Joined May 2012
66 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelspinner20 View Post
mebillica, welcome, and ya that thing looks awesome. The blue star on the endplates,?? signify something?
Na, just some stickers lying around. Thought it might look good there.
mebillica is offline Find More Posts by mebillica
Old May 10, 2012, 05:42 PM
wheeeeee!
United States, UT, Provo
Joined Oct 2011
916 Posts
I know this isn't the sWARm thread, but there were a lot of Reapers there, so for anyone that may not be checking the sWARm thread anymore...

It took a little long, but here's my bro-in-law's edit of some great sWARm footage. Enjoy!

sWARm Spring 2012 (2 min 57 sec)
Old May 10, 2012, 05:55 PM
Planes in flames,,,
Gravity Sucks
Joined Aug 2010
3,571 Posts
That was fun. Let's do it again.
Old May 12, 2012, 08:10 PM
New Beeeeee
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Apr 2011
1,097 Posts
Update...... Reaper is still a fail. It will be junked and I will never buy that type of wing again.
..........im so mad at it.
RUBNorris is offline Find More Posts by RUBNorris
Old May 12, 2012, 11:23 PM
wheeeeee!
United States, UT, Provo
Joined Oct 2011
916 Posts
Dang shame to see someone so turned off to a wing that everyone else loves so much. Really, if only one or two of us could see and handle it in person, I bet we'd be able to figure out what's up.
Not going to try to convince you to keep it, but I really hope you're not opposed to them for life. I think if you had a "working" reaper, you'd be just as convinced to the opposite. Maybe sometime in the future...
Old May 13, 2012, 12:28 AM
United States, OR, Beaverton
Joined Feb 2012
30 Posts
Make sure you have the reflex tuned in and cg at 10.5. Loving mine more and more. Already put it into a goal post at 50-60mph... I wish the go pro video would have been good. Apparently the video doesn't finish when it smashes to pieces I have been wanting a reason to step up to the hd.
xTHExDUDEx is offline Find More Posts by xTHExDUDEx
Old May 13, 2012, 01:48 AM
Western Europe 52.7 N 8.9 W
Joined Jul 2007
2,619 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUBNorris View Post
Update...... Reaper is still a fail. It will be junked and I will never buy that type of wing again.
..........im so mad at it.
Is there no way you could get the Reaper back to Lee for him to give it one last chance ? ......

A buddy of mine gave up on an Assassin after lots of prangs/lousy flights and eventually gave it to me (less the electronics) ....... I stripped and completely rebuilt it and now its the finest Assassin you've ever seen fly ........

Your Reaper deseves one last chance after all it's been through .....
hobie14 is offline Find More Posts by hobie14
Old May 13, 2012, 07:46 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,236 Posts
It isn't the design it is part of the set up. The design is rock solid.

I's sorry you are having trouble. I wish you were close enough that I could trim it in for you. I do that a lot and all of the problems I see we have talked about. I have never had a plane that had a good radio that I couldn't get flying. There are no secrets.
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
Old May 13, 2012, 10:51 AM
Joined May 2012
66 Posts
Got mine up and flying today. I am not a fan of the prop-saver. It seems to flex too much, then when it landed, the band popped off and never found it in the grass! Happened to me twice!! And it's assembled just like the YouTube videos say. Ended up putting a stiff shaft on it and it works fine. I even think it flies better. Of course I need to learn to fly better. Each time I crashed though, I shut down the throttle before impact. (that moment you realize all hope is lost) Haven't broken a prop yet. Haven't even chipped one. I will say this too, that EPP foam is tough stuff! I SLAMMED into the ground full speed and bounced my Reaper a good 4-5 feet back into the air. Took it no problem!! Still working on getting it trimmed in. All in all, enjoying the Reaper.
mebillica is offline Find More Posts by mebillica
Old May 13, 2012, 11:35 AM
S.E.Michigan
Joined Jul 2010
2,240 Posts
Quote:
It seems to flex too much, then when it landed, the band popped off and never found it in the grass!
it happens. Many run these wings with a regular collet style setup... I guess it depends on your use. If you start crashing into other wings, (which is more fun than anything I have done in RC so far) then you might notice that the saver set up can mitigate some damage.

As an alternative to the plumbing O-Rings, I use really sharp heavy duty scisors to cut strips of heavy duty surgical tubing 1/4" or 3/8" i.d. heavy walled latex. These stretch less and last longer than o rings, and 3 feet of it is reasonably priced and is enough for couple seasons of flying. After cutting alot of them, I finally got the hang of getting straight thin ones, and fill up a small medicine bottle and keep that in my pocket when flying combat for quick re-connect and more air time.
wheelspinner20 is offline Find More Posts by wheelspinner20