HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 07, 2012, 05:38 PM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,805 Posts
RUBNorris,

I watched your Reaper Video. Looks like you have it all set up respectably well. If your CG is right and the thing doesn't just glide like a dream, then you may just have Gremlins!

I've built a dozen of these planes and the only times I've had problems is if my CG is completely off, or if my radio programming is jacked up.

Stinks too, cuz it's a sweet plane. I know you'd have loved it. But screwed up is screwed up. If you have to abandon it and do something else, then nobody'll fault you for it. I just don't think blaming the plane kit itself is justified because there are thousands of people flying it successfully, even with heavy FPV gear.

Sorry to hear about all the problems. That's no fun!
Wind_of_Change is offline Find More Posts by Wind_of_Change
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old May 07, 2012, 06:15 PM
AMA 937634
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Jan 2010
1,578 Posts
For me it's been a combination of CoG or not having enough reflex.

-Mike
Stone1295 is offline Find More Posts by Stone1295
Last edited by Stone1295; May 07, 2012 at 11:11 PM. Reason: spelling
Old May 07, 2012, 06:52 PM
Joined Feb 2012
21 Posts
Finally! after about 2 months I got my reaper flying! I was a little surprised on the first flight at how up trim was needed to obtain stable flight, as nothing was mentioned in the manual. Is this the "reflex" everyone is talking about? after i got it all trimmed, i cant stop flying it! I have my go pro mounted to the front, but need to work on moving it forward a bit to get the plane out of view. Still needs a bit of work on electronic placement, but i cant stop flying for long enough to get them mounted right.

In the 48 hours this plane has been flying, i would say i have put about a dozen packs into it. Thanks again to you guys at CTH!
xTHExDUDEx is offline Find More Posts by xTHExDUDEx
Old May 07, 2012, 06:57 PM
Planes in flames,,,
Gravity Sucks
Joined Aug 2010
3,362 Posts
Yup- that's exactly what the reflex is.
Plane looks great.
Love the lights.
jetpackninja is offline Find More Posts by jetpackninja
Old May 07, 2012, 07:06 PM
Joined Feb 2012
21 Posts
Thanks for the input! Still need to substitute the painters tape with something a little less like painters tape Also, went and flew it in a dark field last night with the full moon. so damn cool! Now i just need to find other night flyers in my area.
Old May 07, 2012, 07:49 PM
USA, KY, Letcher
Joined Feb 2005
29 Posts
Yea even the scythes need a good bit of reflex or up trim. I initially set mine up level and had to hold full up elevator to keep it from diving into the ground. I trimmed it all the way op on the dx6i and it would barely climb with full up elevator. Then I set it up about 1/4 inch and leveled my trims out in the radio and bingo. Flys like a dream.
redrob is offline Find More Posts by redrob
Old May 07, 2012, 08:49 PM
wheeeeee!
United States, UT, Provo
Joined Oct 2011
905 Posts
The Dude, man, I love the light setup. I'm totally going to copy you!
elCapitan is offline Find More Posts by elCapitan
Old May 07, 2012, 09:19 PM
Joined May 2012
66 Posts
My build. 1700 kv motor, 8x4 prop, 40amp esc, 40c 5000mah lipo, Spektrum dx5e and receivers, HS-82MG servos, weight 35oz, cog seems like 10.5 inches. Any suggestions before destroying it with my lack of flying experience?

mebillica is offline Find More Posts by mebillica
Old May 07, 2012, 09:37 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,886 Posts
No flying wing will fly tail heavy. If the CG is to far back then you either need to move weight forward or add lead to the nose of the plane to get it to balance correctly. It can fly heavy with the added weight but it won't ever fly tail heavy.

I have also seen servos reversed a couple of times lately.

I frequently see too much movement in the elevons that acts like a tail heavy plane but adding weight won't fix it.

I have seen props on backwards that don't generate any power.

Do you have anyone who can help you? It usually is something simple.
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
Old May 07, 2012, 10:02 PM
wheeeeee!
United States, UT, Provo
Joined Oct 2011
905 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mebillica View Post
My build. 1700 kv motor, 8x4 prop, 40amp esc, 40c 5000mah lipo, Spektrum dx5e and receivers, HS-82MG servos, weight 35oz, cog seems like 10.5 inches. Any suggestions before destroying it with my lack of flying experience?
Looks classy! All I'd say is make sure you have about 1/4" reflex (up-trim when servos are centered) in the elevons, and that the throws are right at 3/8" up and 3/8" down, so you don't get crazy movement in the air.

Oh, and take video of the maiden!
elCapitan is offline Find More Posts by elCapitan
Old May 07, 2012, 10:04 PM
Joined Feb 2012
21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elCapitan View Post
The Dude, man, I love the light setup. I'm totally going to copy you!
Go for it! Thing looks awesome at night! in fact...
Its just about that time
Old May 07, 2012, 10:41 PM
BUZZ KILL
Utah
Joined Aug 2010
1,057 Posts
Man you guys are making me look bad. I started building a wide reaper xl but there is no way it's going to look as good as your wings do. I like to fly but hate to build which makes these kits perfect for me. I only have to build them once but even then I just can't seem to take my time. I hate all the planning of the wires and all the junk. Throwing in the servos isn't bad it's all the crap that goes along with the OSD.

Mike K, did you ever get that Dragon link to Dragon OSD perfected?
Plane Insane RC is offline Find More Posts by Plane Insane RC
Old May 07, 2012, 11:07 PM
S.E.Michigan
Joined Jul 2010
2,240 Posts
mebillica, welcome, and ya that thing looks awesome. The blue star on the endplates,?? signify something?

Keep the throws moderate. Don't be afraid to keep it slow at first. Most use 7x6 with that motor. Not sure how an 8x4 will differ. Have a blast.

The club president flew my reaper last night for combat with me flying my assassin. He had great closing speed on me, missed on the first attempt hard up... then looped it and caught me on the down-leg of his loop! Snaprolled the assassin from the hit, and ripped the control rod/horn off of the reaper left wing, him and the v.p. were laughing their butts off. I think I'm slowly pulling them over to the fun side.!

I convinced him to try it once before, but he had so much fun with the high speed rock solid agility of the reaper, that we really had no chance for contact.! I couldnt catch him and he had too much fun just flying it.! I think we might be ordering some more wings soon.
wheelspinner20 is offline Find More Posts by wheelspinner20
Old May 08, 2012, 02:20 PM
United States, MI, Detroit
Joined Feb 2004
9,090 Posts
Joined the mile high club with my reaper today! Crazy windy day (over 30mph) but the plane flew like a champ!

I'll have the video up soon ish

EDIT: sigh on review of the video, I was actually 1000 feet short. Oh well.
ashdec87 is offline Find More Posts by ashdec87
Last edited by ashdec87; May 08, 2012 at 08:05 PM.
Old May 08, 2012, 06:35 PM
FPV FTW
United States, TX, Brenham
Joined Jul 2011
229 Posts
I was wondering if one of you guys with a deep reaper XL could help me out with a pic. I'd like to see what your motor thrust angle is. My motor mount kept getting loose on me, so I tightened the heck out of it and it jacked the thrust angle up. Now I'm having to hold way back on the stick since it wants to dive like crazy with throttle.

Thanks in advance,
-Pat
h0tr0d is offline Find More Posts by h0tr0d