SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 26, 2012, 03:52 PM
United States, FL, Plantation
Joined Nov 2005
655 Posts
guys, the v1 will handle a ton of weight. Dont let readers think otherwise. ANY plane will fly longer with less wing loading. So its kind of misleading how you guys are stating it.

I have flown mine with 2x 3S 2200mah packs @ >20min flight times.
I changed over to a single 3S 4000mah and can travel 4.5 miles in strong winds before needing to turn back. I can climb to over 7k with that pack too....then glide for another 15 min.
this is with a plane that is LOADED with eagletree equipment, filters, pan servo, etc.
GregSilver is offline Find More Posts by GregSilver
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 26, 2012, 04:31 PM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,859 Posts
@GregSilver,

While that's all true, the original question wasn't about how much weight could be loaded on to a Grim Reaper and still be flyable, it was about glide performance.

You can't load all that battery, FPV, and battery gear onto a Grim Reaper and expect good glide performance, it has to be flown pretty hot. At least that's my experience.

The Deep Reaper & Reaper XL were developed for FPV use and can handle much more weight without compromising on flight performance. The Deep Reaper especially is a good choice if you want to maintain roughly the same wing span as the Grim Reaper, but still load it up with all the goodies.
Wind_of_Change is offline Find More Posts by Wind_of_Change
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 26, 2012, 05:24 PM
NDw
Ireland, Limerick, Kilmallock
Joined Aug 2010
2,123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkkromhof View Post
More drag than Robin Williams in Mrs. Doubtfire, I suspect.

Also, as you turn and the drag decreases on one winglet it will increase exponentially on the other side, the difference in drag might become too big too quickly causing instability? So yeah, in a straight line probably, but when was the last time you only flew in a straight line?
Well when flying fpv I hate wag. And fly fairly straight more often than not. I thought this might make it "fly on rails".

Any other ideas on reducing wag to a minimum are welcome (in blustery conditions)

( Not a grim reaper, just thought folks in here might be knowledgeable )
NDw is offline Find More Posts by NDw
Old Apr 26, 2012, 08:54 PM
S.E.Michigan
Joined Jul 2010
2,240 Posts
Quote:
when flying fpv I hate wag.
Ndw, I video, but not FPV and I also hate yaw (wag as you call it) but I eliminated it by cutting the 45 degree leading edge at the corners like the origianl assassin . Since the wing profile is not as tall, therefore less drag, on a reaper, I simply used Juice container plastic, and made that area a little taller.

Does it slow it down a little, ya probly, but I wouldnt choose this style craft to set speed records.... just have fun without yaw.

Glide is still really nice. If you want a nice slow scale like landing, you have to start it quite a ways away. It seems relluctant, at times to come all the way down to the ground, if you know what I mean.!
wheelspinner20 is offline Find More Posts by wheelspinner20
Old Apr 26, 2012, 09:08 PM
Vermont
Joined Dec 2003
944 Posts
My Grim Reaper build so far

I was planning on using my reap for ap, so I'm mounting my motor back 15.5 inches back from the nose, you may see the cf mount aft. Then Ill use the little cam to balance it all out somewhere on the nose. I like some new winglete ideas, I came up with this for duel purpose, one for hand launch/retrieve, the other to stabilize by creating drag (climbers webbing from ems), nice to slow her down also. I jammed some graphite rods with kevlar attached to some 1/4 cf hollow rod, then a nylon bolt just goes in that, so there in the middle of the wing.

spacecase is offline Find More Posts by spacecase
Old Apr 26, 2012, 09:37 PM
S.E.Michigan
Joined Jul 2010
2,240 Posts
Interesting. Keep us posted as I think it will be a challenge for you to balance all the weight you added aft of normal CG.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 03:11 AM
NDw
Ireland, Limerick, Kilmallock
Joined Aug 2010
2,123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelspinner20 View Post
Ndw, I video, but not FPV and I also hate yaw (wag as you call it) but I eliminated it by cutting the 45 degree leading edge at the corners like the origianl assassin . Since the wing profile is not as tall, therefore less drag, on a reaper, I simply used Juice container plastic, and made that area a little taller.

Does it slow it down a little, ya probly, but I wouldnt choose this style craft to set speed records.... just have fun without yaw.

Glide is still really nice. If you want a nice slow scale like landing, you have to start it quite a ways away. It seems relluctant, at times to come all the way down to the ground, if you know what I mean.!
Great stuff, thanks. I'm def. going to try something similar.
NDw is offline Find More Posts by NDw
Old Apr 27, 2012, 01:54 PM
S.E.Michigan
Joined Jul 2010
2,240 Posts
I forgot to add, your results may vary, Im at about 34 to 35 oz AUW so obviously, if you add wieght for equipment, it will decrease glide performance no matter what you do with the yaw prevention additions.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 03:17 PM
United States, TX, Tomball
Joined Jan 2011
697 Posts
Extending my Herc winglets back towards the rear of the wing reduced my wag. I extended them a healthy 6".

Chris
imagebuff is offline Find More Posts by imagebuff
Old Apr 27, 2012, 08:22 PM
S.E.Michigan
Joined Jul 2010
2,240 Posts
Chris, that herc looks good. Like the colors.

Good detail covering up the coroplast holes on the winglets
Old Apr 28, 2012, 09:46 AM
United States, TX, Tomball
Joined Jan 2011
697 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelspinner20 View Post
Chris, that herc looks good. Like the colors.

Good detail covering up the coroplast holes on the winglets
Thanks! No holes to cover though. I find that good ole goop holds winglets on really well. One thing that I failed to mention is that the winglets were large enough and extended out away from the body so much that they were too flexible. I found a few fiberglass rods and glued them inside the flutes of the coroplast as winglet spars. Stiffened up nicely.
imagebuff is offline Find More Posts by imagebuff
Old Apr 28, 2012, 09:57 AM
Vermont
Joined Dec 2003
944 Posts
Wow I should have gotten a Hercules for aerial photography. Thats the perfect setup.
spacecase is offline Find More Posts by spacecase
Old Apr 28, 2012, 06:22 PM
wheeeeee!
United States, UT, Provo
Joined Oct 2011
916 Posts
Or the new Storm Chaser, which is even more stable, though a bit more... docile. If you want nice, long, steady shots, the Storm Chaser (even though technically still a "beta" version) is looking great. If you're doing a little more acrobatic, daredevil stuff like Todd's Cliff Surfing, then a Herc or a DRXL are probably better.
elCapitan is offline Find More Posts by elCapitan
Old Apr 29, 2012, 03:04 AM
northenden, manchester, england
Joined May 2009
1,445 Posts
have to say i was looking at the DRXL but now the storm chaser has caught my eye, for me i am not looking at miles away FPV, and it would really suit my flying range great, but my only moan is that it has a solid body, and putting all the fpv gear in would be a challenge, having to cut out pieces for it, and if i have to buy any replacement gear i might have to cut different bits off to accommodate different equipment i would like to see if its possible to maybe have a hollowed out section like the easy star or the bixler, just a thought
carl
doggit is offline Find More Posts by doggit
Old Apr 29, 2012, 08:12 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,159 Posts
I know this is a flying wing forum and the Reaper DR thread but we also spend a lot of time discussing FPV so I wanted to show you what else we are doing.

We introduced the 72" Storm Chaser at the Uncivil War yesterday. It is not a flying wing but an old design that has it's roots in planes I designed in the 80s and in the free flight planes of the 30s and 40s. I have two versions one for sport flying with the motor on the front and one with the motor on a pod to leave the whole nose for camera for FPV. This is still a beta test plane which means we have the plane figured out but still need to fine tune the building instructions and variations.

It is so stable we were passing the radio around to new flyers to let them see how well it flies. They were laughing because it doesn't need a pilot most of the time. You set the speed you want with the elevator and the plane will stay at that speed and keep it's nose on the horizon and level it's wings without pilot input. It uses only a rudder, elevator throttle set up but is still aerobatic and fun to fly for parkflyers with smaller fields.

Climb is great but it is not a fast plane. It can be flown from a small field or rough terrain and lands so slow that it is easy to get back down. It is easy to hand launch but two of our testers have already put wheels on it.

I designed it at the request of several search and rescue groups who are looking for an aerial platform for FPV that is not for long range but and easy aerial view for newer pilots who are having difficulty staying in the air with a heavy flying wing. This plane is can fly much slower than a Skywalker while top speed is about the same. It is self stabilizing even in the wind and I have flown it in wind hard enough it passes backwards over my head in a glide. Even then I could set the transmitter on the ground it is so stable. We saw some FPV pilots trying to shoot video from a blimp. This plane can be a stable platform but handle the wind which the blimp could not do.

I demonstrated that it can be launched and the transmitter put on the ground as soon as the plane was up to speed and the plane flew itself for over 5 minutes before I touched the radio again and that was just to get it to head back in the wind. The plane is self stabilizing and will level it's own wings and put it's nose on the horizon with either full throttle or no throttle.

It is still an all EPP plane. It has a solid EPP fuse so FPV gear can be put in where ever you want but it still is crashtesthobby tough. We are building the fuselage with E-tape on the nose covered with laminate but the wing and tail are not covered to save weight especially behind the CG. The kit will have enough laminate for the fuse but we haven't decided if we want to include more laminate because it may encourage builders to cover the wing and tail where it flies so well without. We have had two planes built with laminated wings and tails and they still fly great but they are heavier and need more nose weight with this big tail.

I flew the plane with 18000 mah of batteries to show it can carry the weight but I usually only fly with one or two of the 4500 mah 3s lipos. Weight always makes a difference but hour long flights should be routine with this plane.

I did 5 longer flights and never changed the 2X 4500 mah 3S batteries the whole day. If you are conserving power you can get 35+ minutes per battery. The plane flies well at half throttle and can maintain altitude at 1/3 throttle. The Storm Chaser is flying with the same set up we are using on the Reaper. It has a 3530-1400 KV motor, a 60+A ESC. It flies better with a bigger prop than the 7x6 on a 1700 KV so we have been using a 9x6 on a 1400 KV motor.

Storm Chaser from Crashtesthobby (3 min 35 sec)

Storm Chaser without a pilot (3 min 58 sec)

Here are some pictures.
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
Last edited by Lee; Apr 29, 2012 at 08:38 AM.