HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 22, 2012, 10:56 PM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,847 Posts
The Grim glides amazingly well. As with all delta wings, you need the CG right. But in addition to that, you can't overload it with so much weight that you kill the glide performance. The Grim was not designed as an FPV plane, even though it can be great as an intro FPV wing.

It's not designed to hold two 2200 3S packs, as you mentioned you were flying, along with FPV gear and cameras. That's too much weight for this plane if you want it to glide well.

I'll wager you're not sticking two 2200 packs and a pound of FPV gear on your Stryker, because I know that plane wouldn't perform well under those conditions.

The Grim was my first FPV plane. I flew it on a single 2200 3S mah pack with a light FPV camera and no GoPro or OSD. Flew amazing. As I continued to load more gear onto it, the performance decreased and I moved up to the Deep Reaper, which is the perfect FPV wing.
Wind_of_Change is offline Find More Posts by Wind_of_Change
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 22, 2012, 11:01 PM
Planes in flames,,,
Gravity Sucks
Joined Aug 2010
3,502 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUBNorris View Post
Hi Lee,
Yes very. Glid test was eh! Need alot of up elev. when I lay it on a table elevons should be even with the belly right, but for me to fly i need all the up i can get. Even with 1 batt in it still dives hard. The motor is 11-3/4" (from back of motor) to nose. ESC is 8" from nose. This is nothing like my stryker. Stryker glides well. Im lost lol
Sounds like not enough reflex- they will probably need to be up around a quarter inch from neutral-
jetpackninja is offline Find More Posts by jetpackninja
Old Apr 22, 2012, 11:09 PM
New Beeeeee
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Apr 2011
1,046 Posts
Ah! Ok, well what is a good way to fill in holes. Lol I saw a picture of the same setup and wanted to try. I'll have to put 1 batt back about 6" from nose..... More cutting.
RUBNorris is offline Find More Posts by RUBNorris
Old Apr 22, 2012, 11:11 PM
Planes in flames,,,
Gravity Sucks
Joined Aug 2010
3,502 Posts
Try it with more reflex first before you go cutting
Old Apr 22, 2012, 11:22 PM
New Beeeeee
Joined Apr 2011
1,046 Posts
The elevons? Set about 1/4" up from flat? Dang! It would be nice for it to be level. I'll test it tomorrow after work. Setting up for 1/4" up from level.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 11:30 PM
wheeeeee!
United States, UT, Provo
Joined Oct 2011
916 Posts
Also, jetpackninja was right a few posts ago. As per the instructions, CG should be at 10.5, not 9.5. If it balances at 9.5, that means you're nose heavy.

My father-in-law has a Reaper with 2x2200's, lights, and lots of decals (no FPV gear, though), and it glides pretty well. Depending on how heavy your FPV gear is, you might be able to get away with it, but yeah, don't expect the same glide as a naked Reaper.

And as far as I've seen, pretty much all flying wings fly level when the elevons have some reflex, so 1/4" up from flat is no big deal.
elCapitan is offline Find More Posts by elCapitan
Old Apr 22, 2012, 11:37 PM
New Beeeeee
Joined Apr 2011
1,046 Posts
Ok, thank you guys! I just set them now. I will try again.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 11:59 PM
Planes in flames,,,
Gravity Sucks
Joined Aug 2010
3,502 Posts
The Deep Reaper makes a few guest appearances here:
GOPR0020.MP4 (13 min 14 sec)
Old Apr 23, 2012, 10:28 AM
Smoke me a Kipper
Cedar Grove North Carolina
Joined Oct 2006
1,214 Posts
My Grim Reaper does well with one 2200 3s and a small lipo at the back to balance which I will also use for lights, I cannot see this wing doing well with more weight than this. I love flying it BTW

fritzdecat is offline Find More Posts by fritzdecat
Old Apr 23, 2012, 12:08 PM
S.E.Michigan
Joined Jul 2010
2,240 Posts
Rub,

If you do find the need to fill in, her is a very usefull way to do it.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=3833
wheelspinner20 is offline Find More Posts by wheelspinner20
Old Apr 23, 2012, 01:13 PM
New Beeeeee
Joined Apr 2011
1,046 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelspinner20 View Post
Rub,

If you do find the need to fill in, her is a very usefull way to do it.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=3833

Thank you! I will have to do that trick for sure.

Are the wing-lets any good?
Old Apr 23, 2012, 01:18 PM
wheeeeee!
United States, UT, Provo
Joined Oct 2011
916 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUBNorris View Post
Are the wing-lets any good?
I always put them on my wings, ever since I tried the Titan without them. Cutting angles on the front corners of the wingtips is supposed to give enough resistance to fly OK. Yes, It flew, but was way more susceptible to getting kicked around by even moderate breezes. The winglets just make things so much more stable.

Since it only takes a couple strips of tape, and some Goop glue if you feel so inclined, I'd say the stability is way worth it.
elCapitan is offline Find More Posts by elCapitan
Old Apr 23, 2012, 03:02 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,054 Posts
The Reaper needs fins for stability. I fly my Titans finless all the time but they are designed to fly that way.

I like the finless feel even though it isn't quite as precise . If I have full up, speed change or roll it will give a little yaw but never a loss of control. I like to fly finless in combat.
Lee is online now Find More Posts by Lee
Old Apr 23, 2012, 03:47 PM
northenden, manchester, england
Joined May 2009
1,445 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind_of_Change View Post
The Grim glides amazingly well. As with all delta wings, you need the CG right. But in addition to that, you can't overload it with so much weight that you kill the glide performance. The Grim was not designed as an FPV plane, even though it can be great as an intro FPV wing.

It's not designed to hold two 2200 3S packs, as you mentioned you were flying, along with FPV gear and cameras. That's too much weight for this plane if you want it to glide well.

I'll wager you're not sticking two 2200 packs and a pound of FPV gear on your Stryker, because I know that plane wouldn't perform well under those conditions.

The Grim was my first FPV plane. I flew it on a single 2200 3S mah pack with a light FPV camera and no GoPro or OSD. Flew amazing. As I continued to load more gear onto it, the performance decreased and I moved up to the Deep Reaper, which is the perfect FPV wing.
so you saying dont fly the GR with 2 lipo's, i was planning on using 2x 2200 with fpv gear, but no gopro or recorder cam, i was planning on doing the cheap emprex ground station recording, and how long did you fly on 1 2200 lipo

carl
doggit is offline Find More Posts by doggit
Old Apr 23, 2012, 04:05 PM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,847 Posts
doggit,

You could get away with two 2200 3S lipos if you want, especially if you leave the GoPro off. Two of them should get you 12-15 minutes minutes of flying.
Wind_of_Change is offline Find More Posts by Wind_of_Change
RCG Plus Member