SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 01, 2012, 03:55 PM
AMA 937634
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Jan 2010
1,645 Posts
After a couple more test flights I've added some of my FPV gear to the plane and rebalanced it. I am now coming at around 10 1/4" back from the nose for CG and I'm going to give that a try. If it works as I hope I'll add the rest of my FPV gear.

I'm basically adding the FPV gear for weight distribution and if the plane continues to fly well, I'll wire it all up and make it functional.

We've got good weather here for test flying today so hopefully I'll get a good couple of flights in! 28 above zero and around 4mph for wind.

-Mike
Stone1295 is online now Find More Posts by Stone1295
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 01, 2012, 04:00 PM
Asheville,NC
Joined Jun 2002
837 Posts
fyi
check out this page before Fox changes it

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2012/...ment-agencies/

.............te
Tom Eutsler is online now Find More Posts by Tom Eutsler
Old Apr 02, 2012, 09:14 AM
NKK for short...
United States, IN, Mitchell
Joined Oct 2010
216 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
Great looking plane!!

Here is a video we shot yesterday called Assassin Vs Brick Wall !!!

We did break a couple of servo arms in the 20 intentional wrecks we did. Here are some of the highlights we caught on video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8OxynCBUbM

I was flying my Assassin last night and was trying to be Mr. FancyPants and forgot that my elevator was still on low rates and managed a nice one point landing perfectly perpendicular to the ground when I ran out of air to pull out of an ill-advised loop too close to the ground at high speed.

My lone spectator was amazed that I just walked up to it, looked it over, tested control surfaces and threw it back up there to fly some more.

That was also the moment I decided my new FPV plane will be a Deep Reaper
nkkromhof is offline Find More Posts by nkkromhof
Last edited by nkkromhof; Apr 02, 2012 at 09:16 AM. Reason: Grammar, it's the law.
Old Apr 03, 2012, 09:08 AM
United States, MD, Chesapeake Beach
Joined Jan 2011
403 Posts
Well after more than a month of the Grim Reaper being shelved, I'm starting to get it back in to shape. I just ordered this BC3536-5 1450KV motor and these TowerPro MG995 Metal Gear Servos from RC Timer. I'm more interested in thrust than speed, so I believe the lower KV motor should deliver (I presently use the 3530 1700kv motor). And the servos seem to be overkill, but I plan on flying over the ocean in May so I don't wanna risk another failure!

Speaking of which, I guess after reassessing things after stepping away for a while, I discovered one of the servos in my Reaper is stripped, or actually looks like the gears are shifting up under motion. Either way, something is wrong with it, which is why I'm ditching them. Glad I noticed that now!
fnffishcore is offline Find More Posts by fnffishcore
Old Apr 03, 2012, 09:20 AM
wheeeeee!
United States, UT, Provo
Joined Oct 2011
916 Posts
Whoa over the whole ocean!? That's gotta be an FPV record for sure, if you can pull it off. I'm assuming Atlantic, since you're in MD, right? ...
elCapitan is offline Find More Posts by elCapitan
Old Apr 03, 2012, 12:28 PM
Joined Jan 2011
403 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elCapitan View Post
Whoa over the whole ocean!? That's gotta be an FPV record for sure, if you can pull it off. I'm assuming Atlantic, since you're in MD, right? ...
Haha, not quite... Well, maybe if I fly out of range and the wing keeps going? It will be the Atlantic, but down in the Carolinas, not MD.
Old Apr 04, 2012, 12:58 PM
S.E.Michigan
Joined Jul 2010
2,240 Posts
Quote:
but I plan on flying over the ocean in May
FNF highly recommend this product on all your electronics. Coat all of the printed cirtcuit boards with it. Including the servo boards. It is a little messy, but, you could ditch the plane in the water, and all the components will still work. Its a cheap investment in time and money. Well worth it IMO.

P.

Corrosion X
wheelspinner20 is offline Find More Posts by wheelspinner20
Old Apr 04, 2012, 02:13 PM
Bazinga!
South Africa, KZN, Durban
Joined Feb 2007
624 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelspinner20 View Post
FNF highly recommend this product on all your electronics. Coat all of the printed cirtcuit boards with it. Including the servo boards. It is a little messy, but, you could ditch the plane in the water, and all the components will still work. Its a cheap investment in time and money. Well worth it IMO.

P.

Corrosion X
I use CorrosionX on all my electronics. My fpv cam is sprayed with it, my video tx, my radio rx, my radio tx, my esc, my motor, everything.
I have to do this because I stay in a very humid area right next to the ocean. Treating my electronics with CorrosionX is the only way it survives for more than a month or two.
Even my pc's motherboard and graphics card is sprayed with it.
If I could spread CorrosionX on toast I would have it for breakfast.

Apparently the US Navy and Airforce use it on their equipment.
Moelich73 is offline Find More Posts by Moelich73
Old Apr 04, 2012, 02:45 PM
Joined Jan 2011
403 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelspinner20 View Post

P.

Corrosion X
Well I don't [yet] fly FPV, so I really don't have any expensive electronics I'm too worried about. The most expensive piece is my GoPro, but that's already encased in a waterproof housing. But if it can be used on motors, servos and ESCs, and it's only $6, I see no reason not to pick up a can

That actually reminds me, I've really ever flown over grassy areas, never on the beach or sandy/dusty areas. Do you guys do anything to protect your electronics for dry conditions, particularly the motor? I can foresee my outrunner being knocked out of commission by a stray grain of sand. But maybe that's not even an issue?
Old Apr 04, 2012, 06:26 PM
S.E.Michigan
Joined Jul 2010
2,240 Posts
My advice would be keep the corrosion x off of the motor until you leave N.C. treat everything else, make sure to get a couple drops on your balance connectors too.

I splashed a battery last July at Cape cod. The balance plug was not treated, I constantly have to clean the green buildup off of it so that the balancer on my charger can read it to this day!

As far as sand, there really is no avoiding it. It gets in every little crack and crevice.! You can avoid alot if you seal up the openings... like where the esc and stuff is stuck in the foam. Try to not have any exposed tape edges. I dumped my turnigy 3530 into sand a few times If you have room in your kit, take a bottle of that air you can blow computer keyboards off with... If the plane hits the sand, then just blow it off before you spin it up again. Thats all you can do. The bearings are generally sealed, so the sand probably wont get directly on the bearing surfaces.
wheelspinner20 is offline Find More Posts by wheelspinner20
Old Apr 04, 2012, 06:45 PM
Joined Jan 2011
403 Posts
Awesome, thanks for the info!
Old Apr 05, 2012, 06:05 PM
Bazinga!
Joined Feb 2007
624 Posts
Rearward CG

After some new covering and modifications, my Deep Reaper's CG moved back to 275mm (10.8"). Will it be flyable with such a rearward CG, or is 10.5" the furthest back I can go? I prefer not to add dead weight if it's not necessary.

What does a rearward CG do to the flying characteristics of the Deep Reaper, except be more touchy on the controls? How will it affect tip stalls and glide ratio?
Old Apr 05, 2012, 06:25 PM
Planes in flames,,,
Gravity Sucks
Joined Aug 2010
3,571 Posts
10.5 is pretty much a recommended starting point. Your plane will likely fly well with the cg a little further forward or aft of the 10.5 inches.

I would not add any weight w/o flying it first.
Fly it in level flight first, if it seems to be flying well and fairly stable you are pretty close to where you need to be with the CG. If you are flying well enough to be confident, you can then try inverted, if you are climbing (inverted) with no forward stick input you are likely too tailheavy (cg too far back).
If you have to put in some pressure on the stick to fly it level (inverted) your cg is probably about right where it needs to be.
jetpackninja is offline Find More Posts by jetpackninja
Old Apr 06, 2012, 02:11 AM
Bazinga!
Joined Feb 2007
624 Posts
Ah thanks for that. I'll try it at the current CG and see how it goes. I'll do the inverted test 3 mistakes high.
Old Apr 06, 2012, 07:08 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,310 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moelich73 View Post
After some new covering and modifications, my Deep Reaper's CG moved back to 275mm (10.8"). Will it be flyable with such a rearward CG, or is 10.5" the furthest back I can go? I prefer not to add dead weight if it's not necessary.

What does a rearward CG do to the flying characteristics of the Deep Reaper, except be more touchy on the controls? How will it affect tip stalls and glide ratio?
I flew a Deep Reaper last week that was tail heavy. It was unstable and wouldn't track. It was a totally different plane when we added an extra battery for nose weight which weighed about 4 oz. Even the glide improved with more weight to balance the plane.

Don't get in the habit of just basing the CG on a point on the plane. Test it out. Many planes I test out are tail heavy and the pilots didn't know it.

Make sure you have the CG where the plane flies best. It may need a more forward CG if you have a lot of hardware like cameras interrupting the air flow over the wing. It may fly better a little farther back if the plane is light and clean. I think the CG was closer to 10" back on the plane in question.

Since 3/4 of the wing is behind the CG on on all flying wings but the Titan, I have ever flown. tend to be tail heavy if you don't pay attention to lighten every thing behind the CG.
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee