SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 09, 2012, 12:24 PM
United States, MI, Detroit
Joined Feb 2004
9,096 Posts
Does anyone use a bungee launcher when flying FPV? I have to sit in a chair when I fly and I don't know if I can safely launch this plane over my head
ashdec87 is offline Find More Posts by ashdec87
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 09, 2012, 04:06 PM
Bazinga!
South Africa, KZN, Durban
Joined Feb 2007
624 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashdec87 View Post
Does anyone use a bungee launcher when flying FPV? I have to sit in a chair when I fly and I don't know if I can safely launch this plane over my head
What I do is hand launch without the goggles on, fly up to a safe height, then sit down and quickly put the goggles on. It works for me!
Moelich73 is offline Find More Posts by Moelich73
Old Feb 09, 2012, 05:35 PM
Joined Feb 2004
9,096 Posts
Only thing that worries me is that I wear glasses, but can't when I use my head play goggles. Takes some time to transition. I guess one solution is to get a guardian stabilizer so it'll fly itself for a few seconds.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 12:25 AM
Bazinga!
Joined Feb 2007
624 Posts
Quote:
Only thing that worries me is that I wear glasses, but can't when I use my head play goggles. Takes some time to transition. I guess one solution is to get a guardian stabilizer so it'll fly itself for a few seconds.
Or maybe contact lenses to use for flying?
Old Feb 10, 2012, 02:10 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,954 Posts
Quote:
I've built one and will use it. Will try to get some footage of it on the weekend when I hope to FIIIIINNNNNNAAAAALLLLLLYYYY maiden mine!
Gree is offline Find More Posts by Gree
Old Feb 12, 2012, 07:46 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,954 Posts
Hey I FINALLY maidened my Reaper. Man I have had this thing built for months and only just got to flying it today for one reason or another.

Grim Reaper FPV wing maiden - Make sure you go to Vimeo and watch in HD...
http://vimeo.com/36634595

Maiden flight of my Grim Reaper wing. Overall it went very well. With the weight I expected it to be difficult to fly. It was so stable, much more so than my easystar! You can see some bounce in the flight video, but I liken it to a sports car with firm suspension. The wing is very stiff and it was travelling fast in a little turbulence. I

I loaded up my bungee to 9.5kg to give a 5G takeoff (the OSD showed 5.6G so I was close!). All systems worked very well. I am only launching this thing by bungee - I don't want any crashes from an unlucky toss!

I was worried about vibration with the OSD and the AHI but there proved to be nothing to worry about. It cruises on half throttle at around 80 km/h pulling about 18 amps. Not too shabby! I have not yet tested the minimum throttle I need to maintain altitude, but am hoping for below 10 amps and about 40 km/km.

Next task after my hands stop shaking, is adding a little more elevon throw, testing RTH and Fly by Wire, and then - clouds here I come!

- 2 x 2650 mah 3S batteries for a total of 5300 mah
- Turnigy 35-30A 1400kv motor
- 9x6 prop
- Range Video OSD ver 5
- Scherrer LRS
- 800 mW 1.2GHz vtx
- Mr B Clover leaf antenna
- Total weight 1.75kg all up

I think this is going to be fun!

I am going to change the orientation of my servos though, they flex a bit sitting at the angle they are. I am going to rotate them 90 degrees so the glue has a firmer hold from the push/pull forces.
Last edited by Gree; Feb 13, 2012 at 01:24 AM.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 09:00 AM
Joined Jul 2010
217 Posts
Servos

Hi, great video

I think your servos would flex less if buried much deeper in the wing so that the control arm and pushrod only just clear the top wing surface...

On mine I dug holes from underneath the wing for the servos with only the spindle poking through the top surface to take the control arm.. servo movement when pushing / pulling the control rod by hand is Zero.

More aerodynamic as well~~

H
CaribbeanBlue is offline Find More Posts by CaribbeanBlue
Last edited by CaribbeanBlue; Feb 12, 2012 at 09:16 AM. Reason: Add photo
Old Feb 12, 2012, 02:26 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,315 Posts
Great videeeeeeeooooooooooo.

There was a lot of information in a very concise editing. Thanks.

Lee
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
Old Feb 12, 2012, 05:11 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,954 Posts
I am amazed it carried this much weight so easily. I'll be very interested what minimum throttle I need to stay level in cruise compard with the deep reapers out there. I'd say I have around 20 minutes worth of battery when I am hooning around on half and full throttle 50/50.

More testing to do but I am very happy with the stability and performance so far.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 05:20 PM
S.E.Michigan
Joined Jul 2010
2,240 Posts
Might try a 9x5. I think the other guys that were doing the longest flight tests were running that one... and I believe they were cruising in the single digits on amps too.
wheelspinner20 is offline Find More Posts by wheelspinner20
Old Feb 12, 2012, 06:15 PM
Joined Feb 2004
9,096 Posts
Gree- very nice flight. I laid my servos flat and that's very very sturdy. I also made up a bungee launcher, except mines servo operated so I can place the launcher anywhere and sit in the best location. It'll hook to the plane via an extension, which will pull loose as the plane takes off.

My Reaper cruises at just under 1/2 throttle and ground tests have shown that to be about 7-10 amps. But i'm also using 4s, so that drops my amps somewhat.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 01:06 AM
Bazinga!
Joined Feb 2007
624 Posts
How much throw should I have on elevator and aileron for the Deep Reaper? Do you measure throw distance as the total up+down, or only from center position to up/down?
Old Feb 13, 2012, 09:29 AM
Joined Feb 2004
9,096 Posts
measure from the centered position. Roughly 1/2 inch up/down
Old Feb 13, 2012, 04:21 PM
REAL old new guy!
United States, HI
Joined Jul 2011
491 Posts
Quote:
I just had a monofocal implant and after 40 years of wearing glasses NO NEED ANYMORE! What a joy> Should have had it done years ago.
I can wear store bought sunglasses now!
Still have to use readers for PC and reading tho.
Dakine48 is offline Find More Posts by Dakine48
Old Feb 15, 2012, 10:54 PM
Joined Feb 2004
9,096 Posts
haha i'll just stick with contacts or a bungee launcher or something. I finally got the bungee working. Its servo operated and I tested it with a test plane. Servo extension pulls away cleanly as the plane leaves the launcher. Gonna try it a few more times before I use the Reaper.