HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 07, 2012, 11:43 PM
wheeeeee!
United States, UT, Provo
Joined Oct 2011
916 Posts
I agree with Todd, not sure the Titan would be enjoyable at all with the weight of a GoPro, especially right in front of the prop.

I wanted to get some gopro footage in my reaper one day, but hadn't made any sort of mount at all. To get it up in the air before the sunset, I just mounted the gopro on the plastic display square it comes on, and extreme-taped the whole thing on top of the wing, right over the COG, like you're saying. It was a struggle to get altitude and keep altitude, especially in turns. I was also full throttle most of the time, to counter the loss if efficiency the prop had from all the turbulence right in front if it. And talk about loud!

Good footage, but I don't really want to fly like that again. Mounting the gopro far from the prop, digging it down in, and maybe even putting a wind cowl behind it... That's the way to go. I'd wait for at least a reaper, if not a deep reaper
elCapitan is offline Find More Posts by elCapitan
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 07, 2012, 11:48 PM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,847 Posts
Deep Reaper or the Reaper XL for sure. Bury the GoPro as deep as you can. I had mine mounted that way for a while except I put the black plastic mount on the bottom of the plane and hollowed out an area for the plastic case to sit down into the plane a bit. That worked okay, but on hard landings the thin neck of the plastic case would snap off and I lost 2 go pros that way. No I don't use the plastic case, I just embed the gopro into the foam 75% of the way in. That keeps the drag way down, and the camera is strapped in good so it can't just dismount on a crash and go flying away into the rocks or over a cliff or into a river. I cut a piece of the clear plastic off of the square clear plastic cover that the gopro case came in and then screwed a protective lens onto that, cutting out holes for the gopro lens and the front button. So I still get the lens protection and some protection on the front for the lcd screen without the weight and size of the big plastic case. Works great.
Wind_of_Change is online now Find More Posts by Wind_of_Change
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 07, 2012, 11:58 PM
wheeeeee!
United States, UT, Provo
Joined Oct 2011
916 Posts
Photos? I mean, unless you're patenting that
Old Feb 08, 2012, 05:22 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,050 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdmowrey View Post
Asked for a keychain cam for Christmas but got a GoPro instead... Not really something to complain about but now I need to figure out a way to mount it on my Titan since I don't have a Reaper...yet... Since my Titan is already built, my thought was to mount the GoPro as close to the existing center of gravity as possible to avoid rebalancing. The recommended center of gravity on my Titan happens to be right at the front face of the motor mount. My ESC is mounted on the top formica plate so I mentally designed a raised platform that I plan on mounting a naked GoPro on raised about an inch or so above the wing and as close as I can get to the center of gravity. I know the location isn't ideal since a lot of the wing will be in the wide field of view.

My concern is:
How will the air turbulence caused by the GoPro mounted close to the motor interact with the efficiency of the prop? Will I lose thrust? I am thinking "yes". Maybe I will test it with a wooden GoPro stunt double. Am I thinking about this too much? I am an engineer, just not of the aeronautical sorts...
The Titan can carry the weight but the aerodynamics will have to be adjusted.

Do you have fins on your Titan? If you don't add them. The GoPro causes enough air turbulence that you will need them. If you have the angles cut on the tips put fins on those angles that come up 2.5" above the wing and even though it looks odd it works very well and will give you the stability you are looking for.

If you look at the Scott and Mikes Deep Reaper photos you will see they put their GoPros off center mounted without the case or the mounting hardware with just some Velcro on the bottom of the camera and a Velcro strap over the top of the camera. This cuts the weight in half and makes the camera much lower profile.

The Titan is easy to get nose heavy. One of the few flying wings that has that characteristic. The narrow cord will also put the camera close to the prop. I would add the weight with lead representing the camera and move it around and balance the plane and test fly it in different positions before adding the camera.

Good luck.

Lee
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
Old Feb 08, 2012, 09:20 AM
United States, OH, Urbana
Joined May 2010
226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelspinner20 View Post
No, mark I think the proximity to the blade is an issue since the cross-section of the cam is ?? what % of the circle that the prop makes.??
GoPro area is 9.8% of the rotating prop's area

Quote:
I would build a ply stand, that takes it up 3.5 inches. Cut some grooves into the foam, almost all the way through, you know how to fill those later I think.! This would allow a full fresh unstalled supply of air into the front of the prop. Sounds crazy, but I think it would work fine.

two main verticle side pieces, a shelf, and a couple cross pieces to keep it from racking. Crazy>?
Not crazy at all. I think I have an idea that will be a little less involved and not as permanent. I plan on molding the shelf our a single sheet of Kydex, a thermolding plastic. The image below is a quick rendering of my mental design. I will cut out the shape and bend the legs. It will be sized to fit on the formica plate and I will bolt the legs to the top plate allowing easy removal if things don't work out well. I will also make a custom strap out the Kydex and maybe some foam to hold the GoPro in place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithy351 View Post
can you mount it on the front then counter balance it with some lead weights? or mount it off centered and do the same??? granted it might at extra weight but you dont want your go pro mounted that far back half of your line of sight when recording will be of the plane!
I will have to decide which tradeoff I would like to make. Put the GoPro up front and add a bunch of extra weight for balance or have the wing in the field of view? Since this will most likely be somewhat of a temporary set up I am trying to avoid adding the extra weight. However, with the camera mounted in the rear, I will be able to get video of other wings chasing me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elCapitan View Post
I just mounted the gopro on the plastic display square it comes on, and extreme-taped the whole thing on top of the wing, right over the COG, like you're saying. It was a struggle to get altitude and keep altitude, especially in turns. I was also full throttle most of the time, to counter the loss if efficiency the prop had from all the turbulence right in front if it. And talk about loud!
Great info. Thanks for the first hand knowledge. That is exactly what I was looking for. I am hoping that elevating the camera a bit, in addition to not using the GoPro housing will help reduce some of the issues you mention. I will probably test it with a block of wood of similar weight before sending the GoPro up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
The Titan can carry the weight but the aerodynamics will have to be adjusted.
I imagine I will have to be careful to not raise the camera too much or the drag from the camera might cause the nose to pitch up.

Quote:
Do you have fins on your Titan? If you don't add them. The GoPro causes enough air turbulence that you will need them. If you have the angles cut on the tips put fins on those angles that come up 2.5" above the wing and even though it looks odd it works very well and will give you the stability you are looking for.
Add fins... Good tip...

Quote:
If you look at the Scott and Mikes Deep Reaper photos you will see they put their GoPros off center mounted without the case or the mounting hardware with just some Velcro on the bottom of the camera and a Velcro strap over the top of the camera. This cuts the weight in half and makes the camera much lower profile.
I briefly considered mounting the GoPro off center but still on the line passing through the CG. But again, as this is most likely temporary, I didn't really want to cut into the wing and then add weight to the opposite side to balance.

Quote:
Good luck.
Thanks

Thank you all for your input.
mdmowrey is offline Find More Posts by mdmowrey
Last edited by mdmowrey; Feb 08, 2012 at 10:21 AM. Reason: premature submittal
Old Feb 08, 2012, 12:02 PM
United States, MI, Detroit
Joined Feb 2004
9,090 Posts
Quote:
Ash, I enjoyed your vids, have you ever run into an issue with the authorities while FPV'ing at the lake there? I noticed a few other parkflyers there in the chicago one, but they stay pretty close and low. Just wondering. I have read of others having major issues in urban environments. (L.A. for example)

Pat
Thanks,

Im assuming you're talking about Lake Michigan? 99% of my FPV flying is done in the suburbs or in a rural area. That being said, all the cops and park employees that we've encountered have LOVED our planes and asked us all the usual questions. They pretty much said as long as its not gas and we're safe, they don't care.

When I do FPV in the urban area, I have to stay low and close, too many light planes fly <500 feet along the shore and the RF crap is bad enough to cut my effective range 50% or more. I still intend to get some good footage with the Reaper skimming over the beach tho
ashdec87 is offline Find More Posts by ashdec87
Old Feb 08, 2012, 12:13 PM
Planes in flames,,,
Gravity Sucks
Joined Aug 2010
3,502 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashdec87 View Post

Tyler- Do you think the fact that this is a pusher makes a difference?
Yes. Makes a big difference. I use an O ring pop saver on all of my pusher planes. Reaper at around 400 watts...
jetpackninja is online now Find More Posts by jetpackninja
Old Feb 08, 2012, 02:20 PM
wheeeeee!
United States, UT, Provo
Joined Oct 2011
916 Posts
Quote:
I plan on molding the shelf our a single sheet of Kydex, a thermolding plastic. The image below is a quick rendering of my mental design. I will cut out the shape and bend the legs. It will be sized to fit on the formica plate and I will bolt the legs to the top plate allowing easy removal if things don't work out well. I will also make a custom strap out the Kydex and maybe some foam to hold the GoPro in place.
Don't let me stop you with this comment, because it sounds like you're putting a lot of good thought into it, but...

In the end, if you flew your modded Titan, and then a Reaper (or especially DR or DRXL) with a GoPro dug into the foam near the nose, I think you'd prefer the Reaper.

Sounds like you could make a mount for your Titan that will eventually work, and maybe even well enough that you enjoy it, but how would the time/cost compare to just getting a Reaper and building it specifically for the GoPro? After all, the Reaper, DR, and DRXL are much more popular for AP/FPV for a reason.

Just a thought.
Old Feb 08, 2012, 02:26 PM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,847 Posts
I'm with elCapitan. Just build a Reaper XL and forget using the Titan, it's a terrible idea. If you're going to spend all that money on FPV gear and camera gear, you should put it into an airframe that can fly well and keep your investment safe.
Wind_of_Change is online now Find More Posts by Wind_of_Change
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 08, 2012, 02:40 PM
Planes in flames,,,
Gravity Sucks
Joined Aug 2010
3,502 Posts
Mark- Does your Titan fly well? If so I'm with the majority here. Don't cut it up and mess with it.
If you don't like the Titan, hack it up and see of you can make it work with a toaster (GoPro) on top of it.

If you like the Titan (I know there are some people out there that do) Don't mess with it.
The Reaper will haul around a GoPro no problem. Reapers Rock. The Deep Reapers Rock even harder, esp for AP or FPV!
jetpackninja is online now Find More Posts by jetpackninja
Old Feb 08, 2012, 03:29 PM
Joined May 2010
226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elCapitan View Post
...but how would the time/cost compare to just getting a Reaper and building it specifically for the GoPro? After all, the Reaper, DR, and DRXL are much more popular for AP/FPV for a reason.
Cost of materials will be less than $5.00 and I already have everything. Time... One hour, maybe two if I fiddlefart around.

I am not intending on doing and FPV, just trying to see if I can get some cool footage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetpackninja View Post
Mark- Does your Titan fly well? If so I'm with the majority here. Don't cut it up and mess with it.
If you don't like the Titan, hack it up and see of you can make it work with a toaster (GoPro) on top of it.

If you like the Titan (I know there are some people out there that do) Don't mess with it.
The Reaper will haul around a GoPro no problem. Reapers Rock. The Deep Reapers Rock even harder, esp for AP or FPV!
I think my Titan is great. Perhaps that is only because I don't have a Reaper... yet. If my idea doesn't work, the only scars on the Titan will be 4 holes in the formica plates. No hacking involved.

Part of it for me is the challenge to see if it will work. We will see what happens. This is why I asked for a keychain cam for Christmas...
Old Feb 08, 2012, 03:42 PM
United States, MD, Cambridge
Joined Jan 2011
403 Posts
Quote:
... This is why I asked for a keychain cam for Christmas...
If your heart is dead set on a keychain cam, I'd gladly swap you one for your GoPro? Heck, I'm feeling generous, I'll swap ya TWO keychain cams for your GoPro
fnffishcore is offline Find More Posts by fnffishcore
Old Feb 08, 2012, 04:22 PM
Joined May 2010
226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnffishcore View Post
If your heart is dead set on a keychain cam, I'd gladly swap you one for your GoPro? Heck, I'm feeling generous, I'll swap ya TWO keychain cams for your GoPro
2 for 1. That is pretty good offer. However, I already have plans for GoPro for things other than flying. Things like mounting it to my shotgun for sporting clays and maybe the AR-15. My buddy is even planning on borrowing it to mount on his car for some driving vids. So, it will be used.
Old Feb 08, 2012, 09:05 PM
United States, MI, Detroit
Joined Feb 2004
9,090 Posts
I extended the wing fins to they are flush with the trailing edge of the elevon. Adds a lot of surface with a very slight addition of weight. Shouldn't really make a difference in the CG. Hopefully its enough to control the yaw in windy conditions.
ashdec87 is offline Find More Posts by ashdec87
Old Feb 09, 2012, 05:08 AM
Enjoy Life B4U Die!
United States, GA, Powder Springs
Joined Dec 1999
4,246 Posts
My pair of DR's arrived yesterday - I'll start the build on one soon but I won't get much done because I have to work my day job through Friday and two contracting jobs this weekend.

Nice to have income but it would also be nice to have time to enjoy life.
Buzz_Man is offline Find More Posts by Buzz_Man