HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 31, 2011, 09:01 AM
United States, MD, Cambridge
Joined Jan 2011
402 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
Here are some photos of some of the prototypes..

Scott, Mike and Mike and Todd have really put some time into their research and help. Thanks for your help guys!!!!

Poll question?????????????

Do you like the Deep Reaper and Reaper threads being combined. The questions overlap enough I thought it was a good idea. Do you agree?????
Is the fly in the 6th picture a new option? Extra lift or something?

fnffishcore is offline Find More Posts by fnffishcore
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 31, 2011, 12:03 PM
S.E.Michigan
Joined Jul 2010
2,240 Posts
I don't mind combined, as long as when people go to purchase, its very clear which one is which.

The Blue and yellow blunt nose, it looks like you went between the spars for the wires.

Is that 40 miles, 20 out and 20 back, or is it 40 and put it down in a designated recovery area where someone is waiting?? Just curious, fascinated really. Should be video documented and of course shared.!

pat
wheelspinner20 is offline Find More Posts by wheelspinner20
Old Dec 31, 2011, 12:25 PM
Flying Free
Utah
Joined Aug 2001
1,938 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
Here are some photos of some of the prototypes..

Scott, Mike and Mike and Todd have really put some time into their research and help. Thanks for your help guys!!!!

Poll question?????????????

Do you like the Deep Reaper and Reaper threads being combined. The questions overlap enough I thought it was a good idea. Do you agree?????
Can we get a list of the setup gear including FPV gear in each of these setups?
erashby is offline Find More Posts by erashby
Old Dec 31, 2011, 12:28 PM
RC = FUN
Fort Wayne, Indiana
Joined Aug 2008
3,627 Posts
How much does your guy's CG change after the laminate is applied?

Because I want to cut out my battery bay before I apply the laminate. -Tyler
flyboy321 is online now Find More Posts by flyboy321
Old Dec 31, 2011, 12:29 PM
Planes in flames,,,
Gravity Sucks
Joined Aug 2010
3,394 Posts
combining the threads is fine.
Posters will just need to remember to be very specific when they ask questions.
jetpackninja is offline Find More Posts by jetpackninja
Old Dec 31, 2011, 03:08 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,927 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnffishcore View Post
Is the fly in the 6th picture a new option? Extra lift or something?

It isn't a fly we had a tractor plowing a field to the east of us where they had put beehives for the winter. It was such a warm winter day the the bees were swarming and we had them all over us and all over the colored trim on the airplanes. My first thought was we had killer bees with the swarm until we realized the tractor that was about 150 yards away had disturbed the hives.
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
Old Dec 31, 2011, 03:13 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,927 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy321 View Post
How much does your guy's CG change after the laminate is applied?

Because I want to cut out my battery bay before I apply the laminate. -Tyler
3/4 of the laminate will be behind the CG. It does have a significant weight shift towards the back of the wing and is a little hard to predict especially if you think that the hinges and elevons are all behind the CG and have to be part of the weight calculation.

Personally I like to cover first. The nice thing about the clear laminate is that seams don't show so if you want to cut out some areas and need to patch the area it won't show if you are reasonably careful.
Old Dec 31, 2011, 03:18 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,927 Posts
We have some stock equipment and some custom modifications that are being made but I am going to refer FPV specific questions to Scott, Todd and most especially the tech man on our team Mike who is helping to optimize the equipment for the long flights.
Old Dec 31, 2011, 03:51 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,927 Posts
Has anyone tried one of these?

Looks like improved quality and stabilizer with lens that will rotate forward???????

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_69g3p7a3xf_b

http://camcorders.about.com/od/revie...der_review.htm

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sony+-+b...V%20&cp=1&lp=7

Maxi swift + FPV on board Sony Bloggie MHS-PM5K at 720 60fps (4 min 27 sec)

Motorcycle Ride to Demircikoy Sony MHS-PM5K 360 Degree Lens (5 min 30 sec)

Sony Bloggie MHS-PM5K With 360 Lens - Full Review (9 min 40 sec)

SONY bloggie(ブロギー)MHS-PM5K (2 min 58 sec)

Here is a customer review on Amazon:

This review is from: Sony MHS-PM5 bloggie HD Video Camera (Violet) (Electronics)
"I purchased this camera for the primary intention of putting it on R/C Model airplanes for live video while flying.
It has worked out Very well. The reason this camera was selected is that the video head tilts thus allowing the camera to lay Flat on a surface and it does not disturb the aerodymanics of the flight deck.

Highly recommended for this application."

Another review:

"I bought the Sony Bloggie for one main purpose: aerial videography. I mount this videocamera on a model airplane. But since it's so big, the plane also has to be big enough, with a minimum 71" wing span. Other users have done this type of aerial imaging for real estate ads if the local laws would allow it. Certainly, it is a lot cheaper than using a full-sized, piloted airplane.

I gave the Bloggie 4 stars. If Sony can make one half this size, it would be ideal for model airplanes. "

Lee
Last edited by Lee; Dec 31, 2011 at 04:46 PM.
Old Dec 31, 2011, 06:42 PM
S.E.Michigan
Joined Jul 2010
2,240 Posts
Quote:
Is that 40 miles, 20 out and 20 back, or is it 40 and put it down in a designated recovery area where someone is waiting?? Just curious, fascinated really. Should be video documented and of course shared.!

pat
bump
wheelspinner20 is offline Find More Posts by wheelspinner20
Old Dec 31, 2011, 07:22 PM
2Vision-Air
Canada, QC, Blainville
Joined Aug 2009
2,125 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelspinner20 View Post
bump
40 miles would be depending on video equipement more than aiplane, so i guess you just need an OSD that calculates total distance traveled and time in the air, otherwise it would be too much to ask.
bakchos is offline Find More Posts by bakchos
Old Dec 31, 2011, 09:17 PM
I shouldn't be flying either!!
United States, UT, Pleasant Grove
Joined Mar 2010
235 Posts
We got 12 miles today with the reaper xl. 12 miles out and 12 miles back. Could have went further but had head wind out and head wind back. Also had a 55 min flight with 30 deg temps. This thing is amazing for a 5 pound plane! Will post video when its ready.
Scooter33 is offline Find More Posts by Scooter33
Old Dec 31, 2011, 09:43 PM
Joined Jun 2011
123 Posts
I took out the reaper today and maidened it. It flew terrific, and it glides FOREVER. We took some video of the night flying, but it's a new camera and I don't think I have the options the best they can be for the darkness. In any case, it was definitely bright enough. The purple in the leading edge looked crazy, and almost gave the wing an aura surrounding it. You'd have to see it to really understand.

Grim Reaper Maiden (1 min 26 sec)
Whomprat is offline Find More Posts by Whomprat
Old Dec 31, 2011, 11:16 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,927 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter33 View Post
We got 12 miles today with the reaper xl. 12 miles out and 12 miles back. Could have went further but had head wind out and head wind back. Also had a 55 min flight with 30 deg temps. This thing is amazing for a 5 pound plane! Will post video when its ready.
Scott is getting close to the 40 miles in 60 minutes. Congratulations!!!! He is telling me I am going to owe him a plane if the weather is good next week.

Lee
Old Dec 31, 2011, 11:19 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,927 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whomprat View Post
I took out the reaper today and maidened it. It flew terrific, and it glides FOREVER. We took some video of the night flying, but it's a new camera and I don't think I have the options the best they can be for the darkness. In any case, it was definitely bright enough. The purple in the leading edge looked crazy, and almost gave the wing an aura surrounding it. You'd have to see it to really understand.

http://youtu.be/0cQda-mXA48
Great video!! Looks great in HD. What video camera did you use? It did a pretty good job in the dark.

I learned to put my camera on manual focus and set the range almost for infinity because the light meters on most cameras don't know what to do with the planes being so bright against a dark sky.

If you haven't tried night flying you are missing one of the funnest parts of the hobby. Another good thing about night flying is all the soccer moms take their kids home and put them to bed so we can fly in more of the ball parks.