Old Dec 30, 2011, 11:49 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,939 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yanickr1973 View Post
The trailer ball project was cancelled because it would not take off with the trailer attached...
All three of my Hercs can take off the ground with a trailer ball attached especially since I started using the 1400 KV motor with a 9x6 prop rather than the 1700 KV motor with the 7x6 prop. On the regular 66" Herc I am carrying 24 oz of lead and battery to balance the plane. With the 72" and 78" Hercs I have flown with 50 oz of battery and they would take off the ground with the 1400 KV motor.

The new Deep Reaper is the lowest drag set up we can come up with. Our goal is to improve the miles per amp and I have a free plane for the first person who flies a single FPV flight of 40 miles and is up over 60 minutes on one of our planes.
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 30, 2011, 12:49 PM
Wherever you go there you are
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,348 Posts
I have two power 10s sitting around...would they work well on this plane?
7oneWo1f is online now Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Old Dec 30, 2011, 01:02 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
17,947 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy321 View Post
What type of winglets is scooter33 using on his reaper? I just took mine off (Redoing mine) and need to make some new ones.

Also, anyone know where I can get the chloroplast stuff? I need to make a box for my gopro. -Tyler
Your local hardware store should have coroplast in the sign section...or...just go and swipe some politcal signs off the local fences, vacant lots, etc...same stuff. Some denatured alcohol will probably clean the politcal BS off so you don't contaminate your plane with it.
Vantasstic is offline Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 30, 2011, 01:04 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
17,947 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
The new Deep Reaper is the lowest drag set up we can come up with. Our goal is to improve the miles per amp and I have a free plane for the first person who flies a single FPV flight of 40 miles and is up over 60 minutes on one of our planes.
Can you just send me the free plane and I'll drive it around for 60 miles or so in an hour or less!
Vantasstic is offline Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 30, 2011, 02:46 PM
Zebro
Canada, QC, Blainville
Joined Sep 2007
161 Posts
Quote:
All three of my Hercs can take off the ground with a trailer ball attached especially since I started using the 1400 KV motor with a 9x6 prop rather than the 1700 KV motor with the 7x6 prop. On the regular 66" Herc I am carrying 24 oz of lead and battery to balance the plane. With the 72" and 78" Hercs I have flown with 50 oz of battery and they would take off the ground with the 1400 KV motor.

I know Lee, I was just kidding about not able to take off with a trailer attached to the ball
yanickr1973 is offline Find More Posts by yanickr1973
Old Dec 30, 2011, 04:54 PM
United States, MD, Cambridge
Joined Jan 2011
402 Posts
I know this is something I should probably understand by now, but in regards to the Blue 3530 motor (or any similar motors), what are the tradeoffs between 1400kv and 1700kv? I'm using the 1700kv motor and really the only reason I chose that one is because I already had a 7x6 prop lying around. It's plenty powerful enough, but I feel like it lacks the thrust I'd have with a larger diamater / lower kv setup. I'm not interested in speed with this wing, so I'm wondering if the 1400kv motor would be better suited?

Oh, and forget about amps and flight longevity and all that stuff, I don't have a watt meter or anything so I'll attempt to understand that stuff at a later time...
fnffishcore is offline Find More Posts by fnffishcore
Old Dec 30, 2011, 05:13 PM
Planes in flames,,,
Gravity Sucks
Joined Aug 2010
3,404 Posts
The 1700kv allows you to use the 7x6 prop. All of Crash Test Hobby's planes can be setup to use the 7x6 so you can use the same prop on all the planes (even the Scythe uses a cut down 7x6).

The 1400kv motor would allow you to use a 9x6 prop. The 1400kv and 9x6 works great and is likely more efficient. It's bigger and may be easier to break in combat or belly landings but the performance increase may be worth it.
jetpackninja is online now Find More Posts by jetpackninja
Old Dec 30, 2011, 11:26 PM
ɯoɔ˙sǝıqqoɥɥɔǝʇlɐıɹǝɐ ˙ʍʍʍ
United States, UT, Lehi
Joined Apr 2005
627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cox8pilot View Post
Thank you, Mike!

But I have some different data from Lee. He said:
"The root is 19" (48cm), the tip is 11.25" (28cm) and the wingspan with the 6" (15cm) extension is 63" (160cm)..."

And I used 35 deg. sweep in my calculations. Are 31 degrees is the real sweep?

--
Konstantin
So far out of the 8 Reaper XL kits I've gotten my hands on they have all had a 31 degree sweep. Root is 16" and tip is 7.25" plus 2" or 2-1/2" elevons. We are using balsa elevons on our XL's. Just maidened my Reaper XL today. Setup the same as Scott's (Scooter33). Came in at the same weight as his with 2 x 5300mAh 3S Gens Ace packs 4.85lbs with out GoPro and just under 5lbs with a GoPro.

If we can get our ground station recorder to work like its supposed to again we are hoping to have proof of the Hour long flight with a 40mph+ cruse speed.

Lee came out and took in some FPVing for a moment and snapped some photos of the Reaper XL's and the Phat wing with a Blunt.

Mike K.
smileyz is offline Find More Posts by smileyz
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 30, 2011, 11:28 PM
ɯoɔ˙sǝıqqoɥɥɔǝʇlɐıɹǝɐ ˙ʍʍʍ
United States, UT, Lehi
Joined Apr 2005
627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy321 View Post
What type of winglets is scooter33 using on his reaper? I just took mine off (Redoing mine) and need to make some new ones.

Also, anyone know where I can get the chloroplast stuff? I need to make a box for my gopro. -Tyler
Scooter33's winglets are made out of Clear Hard chloroplast. It doesn't flex and just looked cool. Planning to put some LED's in them for night FPVing.

Mike K.
smileyz is offline Find More Posts by smileyz
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 30, 2011, 11:38 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,939 Posts
Go find some political signs. They work.

Some "For Sale" signs are coroplast and can be bought at Walmart or Lowes.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 11:43 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,939 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smileyz View Post
So far out of the 8 Reaper XL kits I've gotten my hands on they have all had a 31 degree sweep. Root is 16" and tip is 7.25" plus 2" or 2-1/2" elevons. We are using balsa elevons on our XL's. Just maidened my Reaper XL today. Setup the same as Scott's (Scooter33). Came in at the same weight as his with 2 x 5300mAh 3S Gens Ace packs 4.85lbs with out GoPro and just under 5lbs with a GoPro.

If we can get our ground station recorder to work like its supposed to again we are hoping to have proof of the Hour long flight with a 40mph+ cruse speed.

Lee came out and took in some FPVing for a moment and snapped some photos of the Reaper XL's and the Phat wing with a Blunt.

Mike K.
I'll try to get pictures posted tomorrow.
Old Dec 31, 2011, 01:20 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,937 Posts
Man I wish to hell I had not bought the original reaper, right before the reaper XL came out. That would have suited me so much more

Oh well still hoping to maiden mine next week, have been overseas. Mine original reaper is heavy though, easily over 1.5kg with al the gear. Hope it flies!
Gree is offline Find More Posts by Gree
Old Dec 31, 2011, 02:10 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,939 Posts
Here are some photos of some of the prototypes..

Scott, Mike and Mike and Todd have really put some time into their research and help. Thanks for your help guys!!!!

Poll question?????????????

Do you like the Deep Reaper and Reaper threads being combined. The questions overlap enough I thought it was a good idea. Do you agree?????
Old Dec 31, 2011, 03:27 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,939 Posts
I received a link to some alternatives to GoPro.

http://www.chinavasion.com/action-camera/
Old Dec 31, 2011, 05:41 AM
Joined Aug 2010
865 Posts
Quote:
Here are some photos of some of the prototypes..

Scott, Mike and Mike and Todd have really put some time into their research and help. Thanks for your help guys!!!!

Poll question?????????????

Do you like the Deep Reaper and Reaper threads being combined. The questions overlap enough I thought it was a good idea. Do you agree?????
Combining threads is fine with me. I'd sure like to see a couple of pictures of how you embedded the OSD electronics in the wing, it looks like you made a big compartment behind the two batteries and Gopro, is that right? Good luck on the 40 mile voyage
thekubiaks is offline Find More Posts by thekubiaks