HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 29, 2011, 10:01 PM
S.E.Michigan
Joined Jul 2010
2,240 Posts
Quote:
I'm curious if the XL is larger chordwise or it just a different airfoil and optional blunt nose center section?
Yes to both, combination of different airfloil configuration and a longer chord.

Copy and past from lee post 3233

Quote:
The EPP Grim Reaper has 650 square inches.
The EPP Deep Reaper XL has 840 square inches.
With the extension the EPP DR XL is 950 square inches.

The wing area has a lot to do with how much the plane can carry at a slow speed. We know you want to carry a lot of electronics and batteries when you fly. You need room to put stuff.

Increased size will increase drag. Many design features that increase stability also increase drag. We want to get the best balance between lift and drag.

The airfoil is also very important to lift and efficiency. We are using some airfoil designs that can fly with less energy hoping your lighter and smaller batteries and motors will give longer flights with less weight.

I believe that if a plane is more efficient it will fly longer with less battery and motor weight. It will also launch and land slower and easier and with lower wing loading and it will be more stable at lower speeds.
wheelspinner20 is offline Find More Posts by wheelspinner20
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 29, 2011, 10:09 PM
S.E.Michigan
Joined Jul 2010
2,240 Posts
Copy and paste from Lee post #3193.... answering another question about the difference between original reaper and deep reaper and reaperxl

Quote:
We are testing 2 new airfoil modifications and are excited about the initial numbers. It is the same thickness as the Reaper but has a longer cord that increases the lift and decreases drag. It looks like the increased lift and decrease in drag will decrease the battery weight needed to get longer flights.
Attached is a pic of either a Reaperxl or a Deepreaper...not sure which... its all still in R&D and beta testing stages.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 10:22 PM
Zebro
Canada, QC, Blainville
Joined Sep 2007
159 Posts
Someone knows where to put the cg on the deep reaper?
yanickr1973 is offline Find More Posts by yanickr1973
Old Dec 29, 2011, 10:25 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
17,065 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelspinner20 View Post
Copy and paste from Lee post #3193.... answering another question about the difference between original reaper and deep reaper and reaperxl

Attached is a pic of either a Reaperxl or a Deepreaper...not sure which... its all still in R&D and beta testing stages.
Thank you. That helps. I wasn't sure how easy it was going to install two 4S LiPos, GoPro, VTx, etc, etc, etc. The larger version makes it look more doable.
Vantasstic is offline Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 29, 2011, 10:27 PM
S.E.Michigan
Joined Jul 2010
2,240 Posts
It sure appears as though those servos are bigger than my hi tech hs82's that I have on my standard reaper.! I remember the tapered elevons were an owner preference mod. I asked about it.

They all go to sleep early in utah, so I am sure they will comment later.! lol
Old Dec 29, 2011, 10:33 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
17,065 Posts
Quote:
It sure appears as though those servos are bigger than my hi tech hs82's that I have on my standard reaper.! I remember the tapered elevons were an owner preference mod. I asked about it.

They all go to sleep early in utah, so I am sure they will comment later.! lol
Todd's Reaper XL looks to have a deeper chord in the picture on this post http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=3162 ...maybe more so than yours. Maybe it's just an optical illusion? I'll probably be ordering one from Lee in the next week or so. I've pretty much got everything I need already to get one airborne...just need the airframe and time.
Vantasstic is offline Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 30, 2011, 02:58 AM
Konstantin
Россия
Joined Mar 2011
65 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yanickr1973 View Post
Someone knows where to put the cg on the deep reaper?
http://fwcg.3dzone.dk/?wing_span=145...ow_mac_lines=1

According to my calculations CoG is ~31cm (12")
I will play from this value when my wing will arrive
I will build it with 6" extension, suppose it will affect the CoG a little
cox8pilot is offline Find More Posts by cox8pilot
Old Dec 30, 2011, 05:57 AM
Ądn ǝpıs ʇɥƃıɹ ɯɐ ı
United States, UT, Lehi
Joined Apr 2005
614 Posts
Here is another picture of Scott's (Scooter33) Reaper XL and the CG is still 10.5" inches. His weights almost 5 lbs with 2 x 5300mAh 3S packs (10,600mAh total). Servos are Power HD 1501MG Standard High Torq Metal Gear (OVERKILL).

Root Core is 16" tip core 7.25" add in 2" elevons http://fwcg.3dzone.dk/?wing_span=56&...ow_mac_lines=0

Mike K.
smileyz is offline Find More Posts by smileyz
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 30, 2011, 06:37 AM
Konstantin
Россия
Joined Mar 2011
65 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smileyz View Post
Here is another picture of Scott's (Scooter33) Reaper XL and the CG is still 10.5" inches. His weights almost 5 lbs with 2 x 5300mAh 3S packs (10,600mAh total). Servos are Power HD 1501MG Standard High Torq Metal Gear (OVERKILL).

Root Core is 16" tip core 7.25" add in 2" elevons http://fwcg.3dzone.dk/?wing_span=56&...ow_mac_lines=0

Mike K.
Thank you, Mike!

But I have some different data from Lee. He said:
"The root is 19" (48cm), the tip is 11.25" (28cm) and the wingspan with the 6" (15cm) extension is 63" (160cm)..."

And I used 35 deg. sweep in my calculations. Are 31 degrees is the real sweep?

--
Konstantin
cox8pilot is offline Find More Posts by cox8pilot
Last edited by cox8pilot; Dec 30, 2011 at 06:46 AM.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 09:41 AM
wheeeeee!
United States, UT, Provo
Joined Oct 2011
904 Posts
Both may very will be right. Remember, this is still experimental, and he's played with a few slightly different designs. While the preliminary reviews may be great, it's not like buying an officially released design, with consistent specs, instructions, or results.

I'm still way jealous and want one, but at this point building it is almost as experimental as the design itself. From what I can tell, no two people with a Reaper XL have built it the same way, or with the same electronics. You may just have to play with it.
elCapitan is online now Find More Posts by elCapitan
Old Dec 30, 2011, 10:06 AM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Apr 2011
1,257 Posts
Noob battery question:

Whether its 3S or 4S, what is the preferred battery configuration? 2x 2200 or 2x 4000ma? Or something in between?

This is my next purchase and trying to co-ordinate all the other stuff like battery purchase. I may hold off for the Deep Reaper for fpv.

Thanks
idletime is offline Find More Posts by idletime
Old Dec 30, 2011, 10:10 AM
RC = FUN
Fort Wayne, Indiana
Joined Aug 2008
3,607 Posts
What type of winglets is scooter33 using on his reaper? I just took mine off (Redoing mine) and need to make some new ones.

Also, anyone know where I can get the chloroplast stuff? I need to make a box for my gopro. -Tyler
flyboy321 is offline Find More Posts by flyboy321
Old Dec 30, 2011, 10:15 AM
S.E.Michigan
Joined Jul 2010
2,240 Posts
Quote:
Whether its 3S or 4S, what is the preferred battery configuration? 2x 2200 or 2x 4000ma? Or something in between?
Idle.... this depends alot on what you want to do with it. I've seen it posted where dual heavier batteries PLUS gopro and FPV hardware is past the comfort limit on weight for a regular Grim Reaper.

There are lots of examples of great video results with single battery and go pro without fpv.

If you want a GR for combat, then dual batteries are not necessary.

There is also the Hercules options, which has flown with a large trailer ball hitch strapped to the bottom to come in at over 5 pounds.!
Old Dec 30, 2011, 10:55 AM
Zebro
Canada, QC, Blainville
Joined Sep 2007
159 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy321 View Post
What type of winglets is scooter33 using on his reaper? I just took mine off (Redoing mine) and need to make some new ones.

Also, anyone know where I can get the chloroplast stuff? I need to make a box for my gopro. -Tyler
Here in Canada you can find coroplast in almost every hardware store.

My guess is that it will be the same in the US
Old Dec 30, 2011, 10:57 AM
Zebro
Canada, QC, Blainville
Joined Sep 2007
159 Posts
Quote:
Idle.... this depends alot on what you want to do with it. I've seen it posted where dual heavier batteries PLUS gopro and FPV hardware is past the comfort limit on weight for a regular Grim Reaper.

There are lots of examples of great video results with single battery and go pro without fpv.

If you want a GR for combat, then dual batteries are not necessary.

There is also the Hercules options, which has flown with a large trailer ball hitch strapped to the bottom to come in at over 5 pounds.!
The trailer ball project was cancelled because it would not take off with the trailer attached...