HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 27, 2011, 12:06 PM
United States, MI, Detroit
Joined Feb 2004
9,090 Posts
I'm thinking of the suggested motor (http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...kv%5F560w.html) on a 4s pack. Any idea what kind of amps this will draw? Should I look for a lower KV motor (1100kv)?
ashdec87 is offline Find More Posts by ashdec87
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 27, 2011, 01:20 PM
S.E.Michigan
Joined Jul 2010
2,240 Posts
Quote:
Any idea what kind of amps this will draw
If you prop it for 560 or so watts that HK says its rated for, you end up at an avg. of 15 volts. Near 40 amps. (ohms law)
wheelspinner20 is offline Find More Posts by wheelspinner20
Old Dec 27, 2011, 01:22 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,220 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashdec87 View Post
I'm thinking of the suggested motor (http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...kv%5F560w.html) on a 4s pack. Any idea what kind of amps this will draw? Should I look for a lower KV motor (1100kv)?
That depends on the prop you install. My rough guess would be in the high 30A or 40A range with a 9x6. An 8x6 might be better. I'm using a 9x6 on a 980kv, 4S setup and it draws ~28A WOT.
Vantasstic is online now Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 27, 2011, 02:24 PM
Joined Feb 2004
9,090 Posts
Ya I was looking at the lower KV motors, but wasn't sure if it had enough juice. Maybe I'll compromise and find a 1100kv motor on a 9x6.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 04:21 PM
Joined Jun 2011
123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whomprat View Post

I'm about to stick in some LED lights. When you put the strings inside the wing on the bottom, should it be behind or in front of the spar?
Any suggestions?
Whomprat is offline Find More Posts by Whomprat
Last edited by Whomprat; Dec 27, 2011 at 04:31 PM.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 04:58 PM
S.E.Michigan
Joined Jul 2010
2,240 Posts
The only thing that comes to my mind is how much of that glow, if that is the right word, will be blocked going back through the foam if you do it in front of the spars (angled so that the light would go aft is how I would do it.). And in addition to that, in a harder hit, maybe the spar will spare some damage potentially to the l.e.d. strips.

I have a couple new strips to put in my reaper, I just havn't done it yet. I am confident that after flying the polaris in pitch black, I can handle the docile Reaper. In fact, looking forward to it.!
Old Dec 27, 2011, 06:03 PM
2Vision-Air
Canada, QC, Blainville
Joined Aug 2009
2,164 Posts
Finally got a chance to maiden that beast !

My setup is:

Turnigy 3536 1400kv motor 9x6 prop
Turnigy 60Amp esc
2 x 3000mah 11,1v lipo
2 metal gear servo from hobbyking
RVOSD5
600tvl caera
500mw 2.4ghz video tx
Chainlink LRS rc link

Just need to add the gopro after i return it to the store and get my boxing day gopro from the mail (189.99 for the Helmet edition)

with the gopro it will be 3.96lbs

In this video the only thing missing is the Gopro

i flew about 5-6 minutes before i miss judged my angle...... lol
used 1000ma from a 6000 capacity, not bad

Here is the video, i have cut all the boring part.

Maiden Grim reaper (1 min 47 sec)
bakchos is online now Find More Posts by bakchos
Old Dec 27, 2011, 06:20 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,066 Posts
The EPP Grim Reaper has 650 square inches.
The EPP Deep Reaper XL has 840 square inches.
With the extension the EPP DR XL is 950 square inches.

The wing area has a lot to do with how much the plane can carry at a slow speed. We know you want to carry a lot of electronics and batteries when you fly. You need room to put stuff.

Increased size will increase drag. Many design features that increase stability also increase drag. We want to get the best balance between lift and drag.

The airfoil is also very important to lift and efficiency. We are using some airfoil designs that can fly with less energy hoping your lighter and smaller batteries and motors will give longer flights with less weight.

I believe that if a plane is more efficient it will fly longer with less battery and motor weight. It will also launch and land slower and easier and with lower wing loading and it will be more stable at lower speeds.
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
Last edited by Lee; Dec 27, 2011 at 11:01 PM.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 06:49 PM
Joined Aug 2010
879 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakchos View Post
Finally got a chance to maiden that beast !

My setup is:

Turnigy 3536 1400kv motor 9x6 prop
Turnigy 60Amp esc
2 x 3000mah 11,1v lipo
2 metal gear servo from hobbyking
RVOSD5
600tvl caera
500mw 2.4ghz video tx
Chainlink LRS rc link

Just need to add the gopro after i return it to the store and get my boxing day gopro from the mail (189.99 for the Helmet edition)

with the gopro it will be 3.96lbs

In this video the only thing missing is the Gopro

used 1000ma from a 6000 capacity, not bad

Here is the video, i have cut all the boring part.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nII5Rq89uzg
Thanks for the video! I'm about halfway thru the build on the Reaper XL. I am trying to figure out how to embed all of the electronics. I went thru your video slowly but couldn't figure out where you put the Chainlink antenna. I have to put a Dragonlink antenna in there somewhere (~10" vertical) Where did you have the CG? it looked like it was balanced right. Cheers.
thekubiaks is offline Find More Posts by thekubiaks
Old Dec 27, 2011, 07:13 PM
S.E.Michigan
Joined Jul 2010
2,240 Posts
Quote:
Bakchos,

This would be very very usefull to you if you think it might be likely your electonic components will be coming into contact with snow again. Once your sure everything is dried out and works, spray all electronics printed circuits and connections with this stuff and never worry about wet again. Definately worth it.!

http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CH8Q8wIwCA#

Cool video by the way, we could tell you were having a good time.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 07:18 PM
2Vision-Air
Canada, QC, Blainville
Joined Aug 2009
2,164 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelspinner20 View Post
Bakchos,

This would be very very usefull to you if you think it might be likely your electonic components will be coming into contact with snow again. Once your sure everything is dried out and works, spray all electronics printed circuits and connections with this stuff and never worry about wet again. Definately worth it.!

http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CH8Q8wIwCA#

Cool video by the way, we could tell you were having a good time.
Thank you, indeed the OSD and RX dont like the snow, all electronics are in a ziploc back with rice inside, the chainlink rx wont work and the OSD needs a little help.... hope it works, ill check your stuff, but i plan on installing the electronic back (if it works) and laminate or tape over it, this way i wont be afraid anymore and the heat is not a problem in the cold Canadian winters
Old Dec 27, 2011, 07:22 PM
S.E.Michigan
Joined Jul 2010
2,240 Posts
It sure wouldnt hurt to try it, I believe some have claimed some electronics back from the wet by treating after the dunk. Not sure. But I have seen the video of an older tube style television treated with it, working while under water in a fish tank! Its amazing stuff, be careful with the overspray as it is quite slimey and penetrating.!
Old Dec 27, 2011, 07:30 PM
2Vision-Air
Canada, QC, Blainville
Joined Aug 2009
2,164 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekubiaks View Post
Thanks for the video! I'm about halfway thru the build on the Reaper XL. I am trying to figure out how to embed all of the electronics. I went thru your video slowly but couldn't figure out where you put the Chainlink antenna. I have to put a Dragonlink antenna in there somewhere (~10" vertical) Where did you have the CG? it looked like it was balanced right. Cheers.
The antenna is on a tube, i have it in a hole at the end of the wing and zip tied to the winglet.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 08:41 PM
Joined Feb 2004
9,090 Posts
just ordered the power system from HL. Going with the 3530-1400 on a 8x6 prop. Figure that'll give a good speed and keep the amps down.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 09:54 PM
Zebro
Canada, QC, Blainville
Joined Sep 2007
161 Posts
Maiden video

Here is my maiden video:

maiden.mp4 (1 min 27 sec)

Sorry for the delay, had to learn to edit videos

I have about 5-6 flights now, getting better everytime. geez this thing is fast!

You definitely feel the weight of the gopro but still very flyable.

I had three bad takeoffs, broke one prop.

Had a crash, just had to wipe off snow and throw back in the air. incredible !

More videos to come
yanickr1973 is offline Find More Posts by yanickr1973