Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaoleboyRC View Post
Hi Lee,

What are the dimensions of the Reaper and can it be sloped instead of powered. Sounds like it might be good for video platform w/wo power. Root and tip chord, sweep, etc

HaoleboyRC
I'm working on pictures and instructions for a more informative posting. We have been doing major testing on the Titan trying to also decide how we are going to recommend building the Grim Reaper. We are trying to keep the price down. It can be sloped. It can carry a load. How it flies is often as much the way it is built with the motor, weight and reinforcement all affecting the outcome.

I'll hopefully get more posted this week. Sorry I'm slow.

Lee
Lee is online now Find More Posts by Lee
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 26, 2010, 09:43 PM
Crasher of things Built
Eagle Point Oregon
Joined Jan 2010
15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
I'm working on pictures and instructions for a more informative posting. We have been doing major testing on the Titan trying to also decide how we are going to recommend building the Grim Reaper. We are trying to keep the price down. It can be sloped. It can carry a load. How it flies is often as much the way it is built with the motor, weight and reinforcement all affecting the outcome.

I'll hopefully get more posted this week. Sorry I'm slow.

Lee

Take your time Lee...and all testers....good things come in time..I am loving both my Titan and Assassin...so I am watching this to see how we go on this one.

Never rush the batch grandma used to say.....it spoils the cookies.
TalonOne is offline Find More Posts by TalonOne
Old Feb 26, 2010, 11:46 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,244 Posts
Thanks for the support. We are getting close.

Did I mention this plane is BIG???

Might pull a muscle launching it.
Old Feb 27, 2010, 12:30 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,244 Posts
Reserved
Last edited by Lee; Jul 15, 2013 at 12:11 PM.
Old Feb 28, 2010, 10:08 PM
Neophyte
Colorado Springs
Joined Dec 2008
65 Posts
G'Day Lee,

I just ordered a Grim Reaper to go along with the Assasin, two Roswells and the Snowball I am wondering if the Park 480 910Kv that I have would be adequate for the project?

Thank you once again for all of your fine products...all I need is a Titan

Kent
toyhatsu is offline Find More Posts by toyhatsu
Old Mar 01, 2010, 02:00 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,244 Posts
Thankyou for your loyality.

Let me describe the 60" Grim Reaper in the air. The flying ability of this plane is excellent. It can carry weight and would be a good camera platform. I was doing low passes with it on Saturday and 2 spectators ordered one. We have cut about 60 of these over the years mostly for our club for combat. The variation we have done with this kit is that it has less sweep for more lift and a little slower speed.

It has a thinner airfoil design than the Titan but is still thick enough to stand a battery on it's side to protect it from combat damage. The GR as shown weighs about 2lb AUW. At that weight it needs the bigger motor. With the bigger motor and the bigger battery I was able to get CG without adding weight. This plane can easy carry 8+oz of battery battery. My prime battery that I use on most of my planes is the 1300 3s so I put 2 side by side that isn't shown in this picture.

The A-frame spar system is so stiff I was getting "OOOoooos and aaahhhhhhs" as people felt how strong it is. It feels almost as strong as a vacuum bagged glass plane, especially with the laminate on it. It doesn't bend and there isn't the slightest hint of a flutter. I did death dives and hard loops over and over and the plane just did what it was told.

I used 1/8" round fiberglass spars on this plane. The round fiberglass rods are very strong but flexible so they needed to be both top and bottom on the plane to get the rigidity. I have fiberglass rods and flat carbons spars in stock for those who want to order them with the kit. It takes 6x of the 3' spars of which ever you want to use. I will however tell you that I am not afraid of using the 1/4" spruce dowels or square stock that is available at your local hardware lumber yards for spars. The carbon will add $20 to the kit and the fiberglass spars will add $15 to the kit.

I am flying this R/D finless it is very controlable but I did have more yaw than with some of the smaller planes because of the thin wing and the overal weight of the plane. All of our kits are cut at the angles to add fins on the tips when we ship them if you don't want to go finless.
Old Mar 01, 2010, 07:08 AM
Neophyte
Colorado Springs
Joined Dec 2008
65 Posts
The Park 480 is rated at 275 watts but I have to use a rather large prop which makes it have a lot of drag. I used it before on a 48" glassed Divinity at 27 oz. It did have the power but I didn't like the drag. I will re think the motor. Something in the 1500-2200Kv range and a smaller prop. What motor/ prop are you using on the one pictured? Are you using HiTec 82 MG's or something larger?

Thank you for your time,
Kent
Old Mar 01, 2010, 07:47 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,244 Posts
This is the motor. It is rated at 340W. Mine is an older model that is a different color but the same motor. I fly it with the same prop as the CF28-12 the 7x6.

This motor will run 4S!!! The plane could easily handle it!!!

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=3885

Lee

Last edited by Lee; Mar 01, 2010 at 07:52 AM.
Old Mar 01, 2010, 12:27 PM
San Antonio, TX
Joined Jul 2004
565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by toyhatsu View Post
G'Day Lee,

I just ordered a Grim Reaper to go along with the Assasin, two Roswells and the Snowball I am wondering if the Park 480 910Kv that I have would be adequate for the project?

Thank you once again for all of your fine products...all I need is a Titan

Kent
Kent,
The 480 will need a bigger prop than is reasonable on the Reaper. Meaning you would need large cutouts of the ailirons also the 480 weighs I think 3.5 ounces. Get the motor Lee recommends, I think 1700KV with a 7X6 prop and 3S will be right at 300 watts.
Cliff
cliffo is offline Find More Posts by cliffo
Old Mar 01, 2010, 03:54 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffo View Post
Kent,
The 480 will need a bigger prop than is reasonable on the Reaper. Meaning you would need large cutouts of the ailirons also the 480 weighs I think 3.5 ounces. Get the motor Lee recommends, I think 1700KV with a 7X6 prop and 3S will be right at 300 watts.
Cliff
Our club has about 15 of these motors and they have been good. They are kind of a knock off of the AXI 2808 at 1/3 the price. If you want more power you can also go with the 4S lipo batteries too on this motor. It is strong with 3S it would scream 4S. You would need an ESC that handles 4S.

The Grim Reaper is a big plane. At our altitude we need to have a little more power than at sea level. I would like to hear what other motors people are trying.
Old Mar 01, 2010, 08:54 PM
Neophyte
Colorado Springs
Joined Dec 2008
65 Posts
With two recomendations I'll go with the Turnigy TR35-30A-1700 @ $18.20
Turnigy Plush 60a speed control @ $34.58
Programming card @ $6.95
Four Rhino2150ma two cell 20c @ $8.79 ea. (no Zippy Flightmax in stock)
$98.49 + shipping

Running two two cells in series will weigh a little under 9.5oz.

Not sure what to do about spars. Was thinking about tapering plywood with flat carbon top and bottom caps to make an "I" beam. I don't know about the weight though as compared to something else. Would be very strong I think. Bill Steven's of Steven's Aero could laser me some out of ply.

I live at 6,500 feet and know what you mean by having to have a little more power.

Your shipping is always fast since we are neighbors
Old Mar 01, 2010, 08:55 PM
Joined Dec 2008
6 Posts
Recommended CG for the Grim Reaper?

Lee,

What are you recommending for the CG on the Grim Reaper?

Thanks,
Mike
Westport is offline Find More Posts by Westport
Old Mar 01, 2010, 08:57 PM
Neophyte
Colorado Springs
Joined Dec 2008
65 Posts
I just realized how obnoxious my new avitar is.
Old Mar 01, 2010, 09:19 PM
Crashasaurus Dumbthumus
USA, MN, Apple Valley
Joined Dec 2008
1,509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by toyhatsu View Post
I just realized how obnoxious my new avitar is.
I like it! Now, if you could only make one of those holographic stickers that shows that image when you rotate it .
road_rascal is offline Find More Posts by road_rascal
Last edited by road_rascal; Mar 02, 2010 at 07:21 AM.
Old Mar 02, 2010, 12:01 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westport View Post
Lee,

What are you recommending for the CG on the Grim Reaper?

Thanks,
Mike

9.5 " from the nose.