HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 23, 2011, 09:40 AM
Payson, Utah
Joined Feb 2010
147 Posts
elcaptain
Nice adition Looks great welcome to the hobby.
burhead27 is offline Find More Posts by burhead27
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 23, 2011, 10:31 AM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Apr 2011
1,510 Posts
elcaptain

Perfect timing for my build - I no longer have a reason to procrastinate

Thanks
idletime is online now Find More Posts by idletime
Old Nov 23, 2011, 10:56 AM
TREES!!! Ouch!!!
Mexico, BC
Joined Jun 2009
1,979 Posts
new reaper done will be runing on 4cell i maidend on a 3 cell and it is fast waiting for the 4 cell to get here
ROCKY2 is offline Find More Posts by ROCKY2
Last edited by ROCKY2; Nov 23, 2011 at 11:07 AM.
Old Nov 23, 2011, 11:09 AM
"Still Crashing since 1960"
Pierre, SD, USA
Joined Dec 2001
1,112 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKY2 View Post
new reaper done will be runing on 4cell i maidend on a 3 cell and it is fast waiting for the 4 cell to get here
Cool;
Do you have a Watt meter?
If so can you give us some numbers on your set up on 4 cells?

Thanks,

nut
rcairnut is offline Find More Posts by rcairnut
Old Nov 23, 2011, 11:17 AM
Planes in flames,,,
Gravity Sucks
Joined Aug 2010
3,475 Posts
Rocky- What motor are you going to be running for 4s?
jetpackninja is online now Find More Posts by jetpackninja
Old Nov 23, 2011, 11:22 AM
TREES!!! Ouch!!!
Mexico, BC
Joined Jun 2009
1,979 Posts
guys im runing this motor http://www.rcdude.com/servlet/the-20...s-Motor/Detail and i will try it on 4 cell should be fun im also going to put a 700w motor on it on 4 or 5 cels
ROCKY2 is offline Find More Posts by ROCKY2
Old Nov 23, 2011, 12:46 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,009 Posts
Thanks elCapitan

Everyone give input and I will make this a printable copy on our web site if you would like. I was about to do a re edit to update some of the awkward wording in the instructions and I will compare this as we go along.

Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by elCapitan View Post
HOW TO BUILD A REAPER IN 99 STEPS!
[PDF attached below]

Allow me to explain (sorry in advance for the length)... I finished building my first Reaper last week (also my first R/C build ever), and the most difficult part of the build was just finding information. The instructions on the CTH website were obviously a good starting point, but for someone brand new to this, the website's instructions left a lot of questions unanswered.

This forum was absolutely invaluable. I spent a ton of time reading all of the previous posts, and any questions I had left over, I just asked, and there were plenty of people ready to answer, so thank you very much! I also found a couple videos for other CTH planes that helped out on this build.

As my father-in-law and I built our Reapers, I tried to take lots of pictures along the way, and started writing out each detailed step we went, so that someone with no experience could (hopefully) follow along. After doing two Reapers, and flying them a bit, I went back and made some additions/corrections I thought would be valuable.

Most of you guys have already built yours, but I hope this will be valuable to people in the future.

DISCLAIMERS:

1) I know I'm not a pro. I'm not claiming this is the best, or in any way most superior way to build the Reaper. I hope these instructions will help, but the best sources for answers are the people on this thread that are way more experienced than me. This is simply a compilation of what I found over the course of a couple months, and it worked for me. Hopefully it can make the process a little shorter and smoother for someone else. As Lee trimmed my plane in for me (thanks again, by the way), he called it "an excellent flyer," so I guess I did something right.

2) It's a first draft. If there's something critical I've left out, or something horribly wrong that I put in, let me know. Also, there are more pictures I wish I had taken along the way. If you have some pics of your build that you think would help, please PM me.

3) Everybody does things a little different, and not every Reaper is built with the same goal in mind. You may want to change things around a bit for FPV vs combat, etc. A single set of instructions can't possibly cover all the bases. I guess you could call these instructions for a "stock" build.
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
Old Nov 23, 2011, 01:00 PM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,840 Posts
Lee,

You need to build & sell this Deep Reaper I'm flying, it really flies nicely. Handles the GoPro (even in the plastic case), the Pixim, and 5500mah 4S pack just fine. I love that it's the same wing span as the Grim Reaper but deeper. Oh man. It's much more stable in flight, and can haul a load.

Perfect platform for people who want to do 5 mile round-trip mid-range flights, but don't want a giant platform like the Herc. I don't really want to go 20 miles, that's too much time sitting around waiting to get to the target, but I don't want a plane that can get to a target but not have time to fly around the target, like the Grim.

The Grim is a great short range FPV platform, but I think this Deep Reaper (or whatever you call it), is a more ideal platform. It'll outsell the Herc easily, IMO.

For you guys that haven't seen my recent Grim Reaper FPV vid, check it out.

EPIC FPV ! Red Rock Cliff Surfing in Southern Utah - GoPro Hero2 & DragonLink UHF (6 min 16 sec)

I'm going to have the capability to get MUCH more creative with this new wing.

I really hope you decide to build this one, Lee, it'd be totally unique in the FPV world, with the high lift airfoil and good glide characteristics. Chalk me up for another one if you do.
Wind_of_Change is offline Find More Posts by Wind_of_Change
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 23, 2011, 01:21 PM
wheeeeee!
United States, UT, Provo
Joined Oct 2011
916 Posts
Wind, is that what you've been using for these last few videos? I saw the one Ryan built, and it looked like a really good option for AP/FPV, so I'm getting excited about it.

Hopefully by the time I'm ready to build a dedicated FPV wing, CTH will have it in stock. So, still 55", right? Any timeline Lee? Even vaguely?
elCapitan is offline Find More Posts by elCapitan
Old Nov 23, 2011, 02:27 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,009 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind_of_Change View Post
Lee,

You need to build & sell this Deep Reaper I'm flying, it really flies nicely. Handles the GoPro (even in the plastic case), the Pixim, and 5500mah 4S pack just fine. I love that it's the same wing span as the Grim Reaper but deeper. Oh man. It's much more stable in flight, and can haul a load.

Perfect platform for people who want to do 5 mile round-trip mid-range flights, but don't want a giant platform like the Herc. I don't really want to go 20 miles, that's too much time sitting around waiting to get to the target, but I don't want a plane that can get to a target but not have time to fly around the target, like the Grim.

The Grim is a great short range FPV platform, but I think this Deep Reaper (or whatever you call it), is a more ideal platform. It'll outsell the Herc easily, IMO.

For you guys that haven't seen my recent Grim Reaper FPV vid, check it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGJPPvE0pSA

I'm going to have the capability to get MUCH more creative with this new wing.

I really hope you decide to build this one, Lee, it'd be totally unique in the FPV world, with the high lift airfoil and good glide characteristics. Chalk me up for another one if you do.
Todd

Great flying as usual.

I love Southern Utah. Great place to fly because it is beautiful and warmish. I can't believe where you were standing. Great catch Darren at the end.

How much interest would there be interest in the Deep Reaper? We are trying to get a plane that can do a 60 min flight time and it is a great possibility. It is the same low drag high lift design as the Herc in a smaller package. I know Scott as been pleading for a second Beta test group and has been looking at motors.
Old Nov 23, 2011, 02:45 PM
BUZZ KILL
Utah
Joined Aug 2010
1,067 Posts
Cats out of the bag Lee, I hope you weren't hoping for a secret launch.

I have a couple of flights on the PHAT core Grim. Flies nice so far. I wasn’t able to get crazy with it yet. I’m working on setting up the OSD and messing with new headplay goggles and pixim camera. I’m hoping to get a flight or 2 in tomorrow. The flights that I have had have been extremely smooth with this platform. I’m using 2 - 2200mah 11.1v packs, gopro in the case (because I fly like that), pixim camera, 1000mah 11.1v video battery, video gear, Dragon osd and Dragon link rec. The wing is not as long as the Grim. I think Lee said 46 but it is much wider. It carries the weight very well and slows for landing much better than my reaper did.

I’m pretty sure that anyone that is flying a reaper right now for FPV would rather be flying this wing. Don’t get me wrong, the reaper is an awesome FPV plane but this PHAT Reaper is even awesome-r FPV plane!

Just my 2 cents.
Ryan
Plane Insane RC is offline Find More Posts by Plane Insane RC
Old Nov 23, 2011, 02:49 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,009 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane Insane RC View Post
Cats out of the bag Lee, I hope you weren't hoping for a secret launch.

I have a couple of flights on the PHAT core Grim. Flies nice so far. I wasn’t able to get crazy with it yet. I’m working on setting up the OSD and messing with new headplay goggles and pixim camera. I’m hoping to get a flight or 2 in tomorrow. The flights that I have had have been extremely smooth with this platform. I’m using 2 - 2200mah 11.1v packs, gopro in the case (because I fly like that), pixim camera, 1000mah 11.1v video battery, video gear, Dragon osd and Dragon link rec. The wing is not as long as the Grim. I think Lee said 46 but it is much wider. It carries the weight very well and slows for landing much better than my reaper did.

I’m pretty sure that anyone that is flying a reaper right now for FPV would rather be flying this wing. Don’t get me wrong, the reaper is an awesome FPV plane but this PHAT Reaper is even awesome-r FPV plane!

Just my 2 cents.
Ryan
Ryan

You have one prototype and Todd has another. Can we go flying so we can compare the two side by side with the FPV gear in place?

Lee
Old Nov 23, 2011, 02:56 PM
Norge, Sør-Trøndelag, Viggja
Joined Aug 2011
39 Posts
Deep Reaper you say? I'm in! Either that or maybe an option for a center piece on the Grim Reaper - similar to the one for the Herc...
Svenna70 is offline Find More Posts by Svenna70
Old Nov 23, 2011, 03:01 PM
BUZZ KILL
Utah
Joined Aug 2010
1,067 Posts
Yes, we need to get out and fly these things together. I want to follow Todd down into some of those cracks. We need to mount some gopro’s in the cracks too. Would make for some killer video.
Plane Insane RC is offline Find More Posts by Plane Insane RC
Old Nov 23, 2011, 03:54 PM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,840 Posts
Ryan,

Let's do it man! Mine is ready to go! I've got an hour before I go to pre-thanksgiving Pie Night, so I'm gonna run out to the farm for a bit right now and see if I can get a few flights in. Swing out if you can make it.

If you can't go right now, let's do it when we get back from Thanksgiving. I'm dedicating whatever spare time I can to getting this tuned and perfected.

I'm actually considering trying two 4S 4000mah batteries in this plane for a long range flight test. I'd take the GoPro case off to lighten the load a bit. I think it could handle the weight and I could fly for a good 30+ minutes on that setup. I just ordered some 4S 3300mah packs, so I'll have three sets of 2640 packs, two sets of 3300 packs, and a set of 4000 for the distance stuff. Lots of good options!
Wind_of_Change is offline Find More Posts by Wind_of_Change
RCG Plus Member