HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 22, 2011, 11:49 AM
Planes in flames,,,
Gravity Sucks
Joined Aug 2010
3,571 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnffishcore View Post
Unfortunately I don't have any scraps laying around. I really wish I would've requested some scraps to be sent with the wing... But yeah, I guess I'll start with a low setting and work my way up.
Your elevons will need to be trimmed to size.
Once you have cut them to the right size you will have a couple of small pieces. I use those little pieces to find the right heat setting.
Turn the iron up slowly until you find it hot enough to make the lam stick.
Slowly turn it up more and find where the foam starts to deform.
Back it back down to somewhere in the middle.

The elevon scraps are good to use for this because they are so thin.
The foam goes from "hot" to it's melting point with little or no warning.
Keep the iron moving, watch the videos a couple 'o times. You'll be fine
jetpackninja is offline Find More Posts by jetpackninja
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 22, 2011, 11:52 AM
Suspended Account
United States, NJ, Manchester
Joined May 2011
1,190 Posts
Honestly I turned my clothes iron to "1" which is extremely hot still and just quickly iron on the laminate. It's really not hard. You can technically control the amount of heat your putting on the laminate by just moving...well...faster over the laminate. Your getting to worried over nothing lol. It takes quite a bit to actually burn the foam. And that is only going to happen if you are literally holding the hot iron in place for a while.
Bear_Pants is offline Find More Posts by Bear_Pants
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 22, 2011, 12:28 PM
S.E.Michigan
Joined Jul 2010
2,240 Posts
i was talking to the guy that posted a link to a 950 kV motor. cant remember name. phon e wont scroll to it sorry.

just thought others might comment on low kv motor consideration
wheelspinner20 is offline Find More Posts by wheelspinner20
Old Nov 22, 2011, 12:52 PM
Suspended Account
Joined May 2011
1,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelspinner20 View Post
i was talking to the guy that posted a link to a 950 kV motor. cant remember name. phon e wont scroll to it sorry.

just thought others might comment on low kv motor consideration
No problem. Wasn't sure if you were asking me or not.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 01:43 PM
Joined Jan 2011
22 Posts
Here's a fun question: has anyone here taken their Reaper with them while travelling by full-sized airplane? If so, how? Did you build a big wooden case and check it as oversized luggage? Something else?
benjie is offline Find More Posts by benjie
Old Nov 22, 2011, 06:12 PM
Flying Free
Utah
Joined Aug 2001
1,938 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjie View Post
Here's a fun question: has anyone here taken their Reaper with them while travelling by full-sized airplane? If so, how? Did you build a big wooden case and check it as oversized luggage? Something else?
They charge so much for oversized luggage now, I would take a smaller wing. I have taken a 24" MiniSpeed Wing with me. I do have a Push-e-Kat 52" EPP glider that breaks down/folds and fits in an aluminum Rifle case, but I have never flown with it. You can not take as carry on the TX or Batteries.
erashby is offline Find More Posts by erashby
Old Nov 22, 2011, 06:31 PM
Planes in flames,,,
Gravity Sucks
Joined Aug 2010
3,571 Posts
One of the buys over on the Assassin thread modified a case made for a hunting bow.
The Reaper is a much bigger plane than an Assassin...
jetpackninja is offline Find More Posts by jetpackninja
Old Nov 22, 2011, 11:29 PM
Joined Jan 2011
2,311 Posts
you guys getting 1.5-2 miles on 72mhz is that just with antenna taped up under the wing out to the side, and tx antenna pointing up?
branflakes is offline Find More Posts by branflakes
Old Nov 23, 2011, 12:03 AM
United States, MS, Clinton
Joined Apr 2010
401 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by branflakes View Post
you guys getting 1.5-2 miles on 72mhz is that just with antenna taped up under the wing out to the side, and tx antenna pointing up?
Yep, we usually angle the tx antenna more towards the ground to match the linear polarization. But we have found that it really doesn't affect it as long as you don't have the tip of the tx antenna pointed directly towards the aircraft. I think IBCrazy tested a Corona out past 5 miles. As long as you have RSSI pinned out, you will know when you are reaching your limit.
bamabaxter is offline Find More Posts by bamabaxter
Old Nov 23, 2011, 01:09 AM
Suspended Account
Joined May 2011
1,190 Posts
I've actually decided to not hook up the RSSI from my DL on this new reaper. Not necessary in my opinion. I have so much range and don't plan on going that far that I just don't feel like hooking up one more wire :P

New Hampshire bound at this moment. But the reaper should be ready for maiden when I return. I'll report back
Old Nov 23, 2011, 02:08 AM
wheeeeee!
United States, UT, Provo
Joined Oct 2011
916 Posts
Reaper Build Instructions

HOW TO BUILD A REAPER IN 99 STEPS!
[PDF attached below]

Allow me to explain (sorry in advance for the length)... I finished building my first Reaper last week (also my first R/C build ever), and the most difficult part of the build was just finding information. The instructions on the CTH website were obviously a good starting point, but for someone brand new to this, the website's instructions left a lot of questions unanswered.

This forum was absolutely invaluable. I spent a ton of time reading all of the previous posts, and any questions I had left over, I just asked, and there were plenty of people ready to answer, so thank you very much! I also found a couple videos for other CTH planes that helped out on this build.

As my father-in-law and I built our Reapers, I tried to take lots of pictures along the way, and started writing out each detailed step we went, so that someone with no experience could (hopefully) follow along. After doing two Reapers, and flying them a bit, I went back and made some additions/corrections I thought would be valuable.

Most of you guys have already built yours, but I hope this will be valuable to people in the future.

DISCLAIMERS:

1) I know I'm not a pro. I'm not claiming this is the best, or in any way most superior way to build the Reaper. I hope these instructions will help, but the best sources for answers are the people on this thread that are way more experienced than me. This is simply a compilation of what I found over the course of a couple months, and it worked for me. Hopefully it can make the process a little shorter and smoother for someone else. As Lee trimmed my plane in for me (thanks again, by the way), he called it "an excellent flyer," so I guess I did something right.

2) It's a first draft. If there's something critical I've left out, or something horribly wrong that I put in, let me know. Also, there are more pictures I wish I had taken along the way. If you have some pics of your build that you think would help, please PM me.

3) Everybody does things a little different, and not every Reaper is built with the same goal in mind. You may want to change things around a bit for FPV vs combat, etc. A single set of instructions can't possibly cover all the bases. I guess you could call these instructions for a "stock" build.
elCapitan is offline Find More Posts by elCapitan
Last edited by elCapitan; Nov 29, 2011 at 01:28 AM.
Old Nov 23, 2011, 02:11 AM
wheeeeee!
United States, UT, Provo
Joined Oct 2011
916 Posts
...by the way, does anyone know a better site to publicly host documents than Scribd? It works, but the ads and non-fullscreen view are kind of annoying.
Old Nov 23, 2011, 02:25 AM
Knoxville, TN
Joined Apr 2008
941 Posts
elCapitan
That is a GREAT contribution! I read through quickly and thought it was very well done. I'm sure just about everyone would have 'tweaks' of their own, but overall a VERY solid manual and significant improvement over what currently exists in my opinion. Now, we just need the video build log.

You could just attach the PDF to your post.. or was there a reason you didn't want to do that?
Kerbob is offline Find More Posts by Kerbob
Old Nov 23, 2011, 02:31 AM
wheeeeee!
United States, UT, Provo
Joined Oct 2011
916 Posts
Thanks, Kerbob!

Um, yeah. PDF... attached... in post... should've thought of that. I just edited mine to include it, and took out the Scribd link, since I think Scribd kind of sucked anyway. Thanks.

Rocky was doing some Reaper build videos, but I think he got distracted with a quadcopter and... whatever else he does all day. Rocky, you should really keep doing those!
Old Nov 23, 2011, 04:16 AM
Suspended Account
Joined May 2011
1,190 Posts
Wondering why I didn't do one on this reaper. Probably because I went a little nuts with it.