SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 02, 2010, 09:13 PM
Flying with the eagles
Eagle's nest
Joined Nov 2008
2,121 Posts
Oh no. I just hot glued all the 6 spars in and the left and right wings are warped!
Looking from the front, the left wing is bending downwards at the tip and the right wing is bending upwards at the tip.

How do I correct this???

(I have not put in the shock cord yet.)

How do I remelt the glue? If I cut out the spars the foam would be damaged.
etman is offline Find More Posts by etman
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 02, 2010, 09:42 PM
San Antonio, TX
Joined Jul 2004
565 Posts
Heat the spars with a heat gun...carefully.
cliffo is offline Find More Posts by cliffo
Old Nov 02, 2010, 09:52 PM
Flying with the eagles
Eagle's nest
Joined Nov 2008
2,121 Posts
So I should use a glue gun (without the glue)?

Or is it a heat gun for heat shrinking electronic parts? I don't have one.

A hair dryer, will it work? It is similar to a heat gun right?
Old Nov 02, 2010, 09:55 PM
USA, TN, Nashville
Joined Oct 2009
903 Posts
Yeah a hair dryer will work. It's what I've used numerous times to get out servos and stuff.
rdbell is offline Find More Posts by rdbell
Old Nov 02, 2010, 10:00 PM
Flying with the eagles
Eagle's nest
Joined Nov 2008
2,121 Posts
Thanks cliffo and rdbell! You saved my day.
Old Nov 03, 2010, 09:30 PM
Flying with the eagles
Eagle's nest
Joined Nov 2008
2,121 Posts
I used a hair dryer to heat both sides of the wing tips and straightened the wings. Hooray!

Here is my progress so far. I have added the shock cord and the formica laminates. Next step is to apply the Scotch Extreme tape.

The motor I've bought is quite heavy at 90g. Its a monster.

I'm afraid its too big and too heavy. It can fit into the motor mount though.
Should I mount the motor further forward or not use this motor?
Last edited by etman; Jan 23, 2011 at 09:53 PM.
Old Nov 03, 2010, 10:59 PM
USA, TN, Nashville
Joined Oct 2009
903 Posts
That's not *too* much more than the 35-30.. Since the CG is supposed to be almost right on the base of the motor, it won't be too big of a problem. You might need to cut your battery slot a tiny bit farther forward but in the end, you can always add weight to balance it. It'll fly fine with the little extra. Go ahead and do the extreme tape and cover it then lay everything out and see where the center of gravity is. Start out with the recommended measurements on the build guide.

Edit: Oh and for the tape - Make sure you do the cross your heart all the way down. I only did it part way and I tore my wing in a crash.
Old Nov 03, 2010, 11:06 PM
Flying with the eagles
Eagle's nest
Joined Nov 2008
2,121 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdbell View Post
That's not *too* much more than the 35-30.. Since the CG is supposed to be almost right on the base of the motor, it won't be too big of a problem. You might need to cut your battery slot a tiny bit farther forward but in the end, you can always add weight to balance it. It'll fly fine with the little extra. Go ahead and do the extreme tape and cover it then lay everything out and see where the center of gravity is. Start out with the recommended measurements on the build guide.

Edit: Oh and for the tape - Make sure you do the cross your heart all the way down. I only did it part way and I tore my wing in a crash.
Thanks! I'll go ahead then.

Yes its only about 30 g heavier.
And yes I have a 2200 mah battery and a GoPro camera I could play around with the weight.
Hmm...what's a "cross your heart" all the way...
Old Nov 03, 2010, 11:12 PM
USA, TN, Nashville
Joined Oct 2009
903 Posts
Hard to explain. I know there's some pictures somewhere... So you know that you tape the leading edge right? Well on the back edge of the wing I make an x top and bottom. Starting from the wing tip extending straight all the way to the front of the plane. I don't know maybe it's being done differently now.

Edit: Here's a picture that gives an idea. I suppose you could do it like this guy did with it wrapped around the trailing edge but I just had a full strip top and bottom. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=3169594
Old Nov 03, 2010, 11:24 PM
Flying with the eagles
Eagle's nest
Joined Nov 2008
2,121 Posts
Oh I see now. Thanks.
Old Nov 03, 2010, 11:31 PM
USA, TN, Nashville
Joined Oct 2009
903 Posts
Pull it tight. But not so tight it warps the wing. I like to do the cross your heart first then wrap the leading edge so it locks in. It doesn't hurt for the x to wrap around the trailing edge a little. Also, later on when you're covering and hinge the elevons, make sure you don't leave any extreme tape exposed. Cover it with more laminate. It get's all crusty and yellow after awhile which is annoying cause there's not much you can do about it. It doesn't peel off when it gets like that.
Old Nov 04, 2010, 02:03 PM
Slope Sauce
White Salmon WA
Joined Oct 2009
770 Posts
Formica Substitute?

Let me start by saying my "Night Reaper" is heavy due to lights, extra batteries, etc. I've crashed it hard a few times and the weak point on my wing happens to be the motor mount. On a hard crash the formica gets demolished and the stainless bracket gets bent. The foam under the formica has taken some abuse yet remains usable/repairable. A couple more hard crashes with the formica setup and I'm going to be left with a void in the foam where the motor mount should be and I'm not looking forward to that repair. I've been considering two large plates of carbon fiber (top and bottom) installed in place of the formica. If anyone has any suggestions or proven substitutes I'd love to hear about it. Please include pictures if you have them. Thanks.
trees is offline Find More Posts by trees
Old Nov 04, 2010, 05:03 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,329 Posts
Please show us your ideas. We are always open to new suggestions.

We have tried a lot of different motor mount designs and so far the Formica is the best all round choice we have found.

The Formica laminate is the strongest material for it's weight that glue will stick to. For example there are some plastics that would be good if you could glue to them.

Household Goop is the only glue I know of that will glue to a plastic plate and the EPP foam.

Considering the abuse I have given planes I seldom break Formica unless it is a brutal wreck that nothing should survive. Surprisingly ion most cases these planes not only survive but rarely need much repair.
Lee is online now Find More Posts by Lee
Old Nov 07, 2010, 06:15 PM
USA, OH, Mason
Joined Jun 2010
136 Posts
I remodeled my Reaper with the experimental OSD/UAV board I'm developing. I moved the Video TX inverted V antenna out to the wing tip, embedded most of the V TX into the wing (left some sticking out for cooling). I cut a notch into the wing to embed wires and covered it with clear packing tape. I put (big) the UAV board between the battery and RX slot. The GPS is stuck to the top of the wing for now for testing. It worked fine there today so I'll embed that and its' wire too.

I'm still using IBCrazy's inverted-V, but now I embedded it into the foam to reduce the profile.

It's working well. The OSD makes flying much more fun.. I don't always have a spotter and this makes me feel much more comfortable knowing how high and far I am. My long-range RC radio comes soon (DragonLink) so I'll be able to start pushing the limit of my video system soon.

I have a few things to work on with the OSD firmeware (e.g. I don't have a vario but it would have been very handy in the test flights.)

The Reaper is working out to be a great development platform for this OSD/UAV board!
andrejk is offline Find More Posts by andrejk
Old Nov 07, 2010, 08:28 PM
USA, TN, Nashville
Joined Oct 2009
903 Posts
Looking at your pictures the GR seems huge! I'm still considering getting one.. It flies good with no fins?