Old Oct 23, 2010, 02:19 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,886 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadOscar View Post
Would it be posible to order one and specify NOT to have the elevons precut? I want to do something a little different.
Contact us at www.crashtesthobby.com and tell us what you want. Our customers have some great ideas and we would like to hear yours.
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 23, 2010, 03:43 PM
USA, OH, Mason
Joined Jun 2010
136 Posts
after a hand launch accident last week (prop to finger), I'm looking at other ways to launch. the Assassins I have do fine but the Reaper struggle without a sold headwind. I have a 3s battery in there now, so maybe a 4s would do better. but it does great after takeoff so I don't want to mess with out too much.

so I am experimenting with two approaches. I built a trike gear that drops off after takeoff (steerable nose gear too!). that works, but I broke it when out hung on too long after takeoff and hit the ground too hard. fixable, but it needs a smooth field or pavement.

I am also looking at bungee launch. Has anyone tried this with a reaper or other big wing.
andrejk is offline Find More Posts by andrejk
Old Oct 23, 2010, 04:45 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,886 Posts
On the bigger planes I encourage the new flyers to hang on to a wingtip and put the other wingtip on the ground. Aim the plane so the power is pushing the plane into the ground. I keep my left hand on the transmitter with a thumb on the throttle stick. Then I increase the throttle to full and roll the plane nose up to the right take off angle and let it pull itself up to level then let it go. One of the flyers told me he is having trouble getting his hands back on the sticks when he launches. It takes a little practice but once you get used to it it is no big deal. It may be harder to find the stick if you have a neck strap on and be careful not to yank the transmitter out of your hand with the neck strap as you launch the plane.
Old Oct 24, 2010, 03:17 PM
FPV Desert Beta Test Center
Mesa, Arizona
Joined Nov 2006
2,371 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrejk View Post
after a hand launch accident last week (prop to finger), I'm looking at other ways to launch. the Assassins I have do fine but the Reaper struggle without a sold headwind. I have a 3s battery in there now, so maybe a 4s would do better. but it does great after takeoff so I don't want to mess with out too much.

so I am experimenting with two approaches. I built a trike gear that drops off after takeoff (steerable nose gear too!). that works, but I broke it when out hung on too long after takeoff and hit the ground too hard. fixable, but it needs a smooth field or pavement.

I am also looking at bungee launch. Has anyone tried this with a reaper or other big wing.
I launch my FPV Maxie Swift with a short high start bungee.

http://vimeo.com/13650811
Gary Evans is offline Find More Posts by Gary Evans
Last edited by Gary Evans; Oct 24, 2010 at 03:25 PM.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 01:27 PM
Go Fly Yourself...!!
United States, WA, Bonney Lake
Joined Oct 2004
1,431 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
I shot some video of Jared flying a finless Reaper in combat. The plane is rock solid without fins. He is flying with a Warp can motor that does make a little more noise because of the smaller prop and higher RPM. Jared is chasing a 34" Assassin and a 52" cut down Titan and he puts the Reaper though it's all kids of flying maneuvers trying to get position for a hit.

Not bad for a FPV/Video plane design!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHYcdNepnPs
Greetings Lee...

Hey what are the dimensions of Jared's leading edge cuts (from the wing tips) that make the Reaper fly so well without fins?
I've built the Assassin and Titan with the suggested 2" by 2" cuts from the wing tip and it works great.

I'm thinking of building a night flying Reaper to add to the collection.

Thanks in advance!
D-Man
xxD-Manxx is online now Find More Posts by xxD-Manxx
Old Oct 25, 2010, 01:34 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,886 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFloth View Post
Greetings Lee...

Hey what are the dimensions of Jared's leading edge cuts (from the wing tips) that make the Reaper fly so well without fins?
I've built the Assassin and Titan with the suggested 2" by 2" cuts from the wing tip and it works great.

I'm thinking of building a night flying Reaper to add to the collection.

Thanks in advance!
D-Man
Jared has a 3" along the leading edge and 2" back. The only times you see yaw with this thin wing without fins with the cuts is when you are doing aerobatics at a very low rate of speed. I don't fly with fins on my Reapers all of the time either. My fins Velcro on. At high speed or even combat speed it does well and even when it does yaw a little I never loose control.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 01:44 PM
Go Fly Yourself...!!
United States, WA, Bonney Lake
Joined Oct 2004
1,431 Posts
Quote:
Jared has a 3" along the leading edge and 2" back. The only times you see yaw with this thin wing without fins with the cuts is when you are doing aerobatics at a very low rate of speed. I don't fly with fins on my Reapers all of the time either. My fins Velcro on. At high speed or even combat speed it does well and even when it does yaw a little I never loose control.
Right on Lee... Thanks for the quick response.
Look for my order soon!

And sense I have your ear (or eye in this case)... if I'm building a night flier... it looks like the best way to do it is notch the foam for the lights, install LED side up and cover the LEDs at the time I cover the wing with the supplied film... YES?

Or I could just ask the question to everyone in the thread.. how are others mounting the strip LED's to their foam wings?

D-Man
xxD-Manxx is online now Find More Posts by xxD-Manxx
Last edited by xxD-Manxx; Oct 25, 2010 at 02:25 PM.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 04:50 PM
USA, TN, Nashville
Joined Oct 2009
903 Posts
I just used the tape was built in and stuck them on top over the covering, but don't do that. It's not the best idea. The bottom has had several LED's ripped off and it doesn't fly as good as it should. I'd use a soldering iron and melt out a little channel for them to sit in and probably even use a little hot glue to hold them down then put the tape and covering over them.
rdbell is online now Find More Posts by rdbell
Old Oct 30, 2010, 10:19 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,886 Posts
We have bought a lot of the 35-30 Turnigy 1700 motors and have been modifying them for the Titan and the Reaper and other planes.

There has been a rumor that pushing the shaft through the bell will damage the bearings. If you remove the E-Clip the shaft and the bell are easily removed from the bearings so pushing the shaft through the bell is not stressing the bearings unless your technique is giving lateral pressure on the bearings or you push the shaft so far that the E-clip damages the back bearing.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...67&postcount=6
Old Oct 31, 2010, 04:47 AM
San Antonio, TX
Joined Jul 2004
564 Posts
Modifying the 35-30 motors? How? Rewind? Different bearings? Painting them pink?
cliffo is offline Find More Posts by cliffo
Old Oct 31, 2010, 11:29 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,886 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffo View Post
Modifying the 35-30 motors? How? Rewind? Different bearings? Painting them pink?
Cliff it is just pushing the shafts through the bell so that we can use a prop saver and get rid of the nosecone that helps to break props in combat. I have about 6 of these motors and I have modified them all. When you do this they bolt directly on our CTH motor mount with no shaft poking out the back.

The motor is made to have this modification. You can tell because they left us an E-clip grove at the end of the shaft.

Look at the pictures here. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...67&postcount=6

Quick note:

I found 4mm E clips on Amazon that are much better quality than the ones that are stock on the motor. You will need to get some 4mm prop savers.

Lee

PS. Cliff we had our first snow this week.

Last edited by Lee; Oct 31, 2010 at 11:34 AM.
Old Oct 31, 2010, 04:46 PM
USA, TN, Nashville
Joined Oct 2009
903 Posts
How would you characterize the GR compared to the Assassin and Titan? The Assassin to me is just super aerobatic and all around fun to fly, the Titan is a lot faster but looks much more graceful and feels smoother all around.
rdbell is online now Find More Posts by rdbell
Old Oct 31, 2010, 05:21 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,886 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdbell View Post
How would you characterize the GR compared to the Assassin and Titan? The Assassin to me is just super aerobatic and all around fun to fly, the Titan is a lot faster but looks much more graceful and feels smoother all around.
The bigger planes fly smoother and are easier to see. The 58" GR and the 58" Titan have about the same forward speed with the same motor. The Titan is more aerobatic and has a higher rate of climb but I have to say that there are some GRs out there that put on quite a show. That doesn't diminish how much I like my 26" Scythes and my 36" Assassins however. I like the variety and literally take one of each with me when I go flying. Each has their own personality.

The real advantage of the GR is that it glides amazingly well. This week I trimmed the GR for level flight and didn't touch the radio for at least 3 minutes as the plane gently circled overhead. The GR will carry a heavier load and makes a great camera platform. Many club members are adding lights to there GRs for night flying.

Our club is using the GR in combat with about and equal mix of Titans to Reapers.
Old Oct 31, 2010, 06:20 PM
San Antonio, TX
Joined Jul 2004
564 Posts
Quote:
Cliff it is just pushing the shafts through the bell so that we can use a prop saver and get rid of the nosecone that helps to break props in combat. I have about 6 of these motors and I have modified them all. When you do this they bolt directly on our CTH motor mount with no shaft poking out the back.

The motor is made to have this modification. You can tell because they left us an E-clip grove at the end of the shaft.

Look at the pictures here. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...67&postcount=6

Quick note:

I found 4mm E clips on Amazon that are much better quality than the ones that are stock on the motor. You will need to get some 4mm prop savers.

Lee

PS. Cliff we had our first snow this week.

Lee,

We put a 35-30 on an Assassin. The plane gets small much faster now. I don't think the battery drain is much more than the TP 2809-12Delta, the 200 watt motor that we, as a group, feel is preferable to the RED motor.

We had our last snow in 1985.

I am back on board using laminate, but I also use 3M-90.

Later,
C
cliffo is offline Find More Posts by cliffo
Old Oct 31, 2010, 09:35 PM
Don't disturb the pilot !!!
Canada, QC, Quebec
Joined Jun 2008
2,183 Posts
Here's my Grim Reaper (again) but now ready for its FPV maiden flight. Flown this plane many times (about 45-50 flights) but not FPV.

Total weight is 1.941 kg

ImmersionRC 2.4Ghz 500mW vtx at the end of the wing.

EzUHF receiver and EzOSD.

Second antenna of the EzUHF receiver is hidden horizontally in the wing.

Motor is a Turnigy 3536c with Turnigy Plush 60a. Prop is a 9.75x7.5, using 2x 3s 3000mah packs in parallel.
saucisse is offline Find More Posts by saucisse