SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 22, 2011, 12:45 PM
Norge, Sør-Trøndelag, Viggja
Joined Aug 2011
39 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjie View Post
Thanks for all the help getting my reaper set up.

I'm using the Cobra motor suggested by Rocky with a 7x5 prop, and a 3S 2700mAH main battery plus a 3S 450mAH VTX battery. I also have a GoPro and an autopilot/OSD (UAVDevBoard/MatrixPilot) on board. My all-up weight is 42.5oz.

I moved the CG back 1/4" from 10.25" to 10.5" back from the nose, added a bit more reflex to the control surfaces, and what do you know - it flies great!

And here's my GoPro mounting setup. I'm flying the camera without the case, but with a spare glass lens-cover hot-glued to the foam to protect the actual camera lens. I dug out a pretty big hole for the GoPro so it can sit half-embedded in the foam to reduce drag. It's pointed slightly down, but I actually wish I had pointed it even further down to get the light sensor to adjust for ground levels more of the time, and sky levels less often.

Attachment 4364103

My first few launch attempts looked disastrous, but of course there was no damage. I'm throwing side-arm, and trying hard to keep it level-ish as I release, without torquing it as I let go. I think I have it down now. Today I started using the autopilot's Stabilized mode to assist my takeoff, and it helped a ton! I can just side-arm it full throttle with my eyes closed.

Tried a few fly-bys and FPV rolls and loops too...

Very happy so far!
Finally a picture of a GoPro mounted the way I'm thinking of. I've just started the build today - the Gorilla Glue on the top spars are doing it's business right now.

Thanks mate!
Svenna70 is offline Find More Posts by Svenna70
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 23, 2011, 07:57 AM
Suspended Account
United States, NJ, Manchester
Joined May 2011
1,190 Posts
FPV at Coyle Field flown with Dragonlink (5 min 19 sec)

Go easy on me
Bear_Pants is offline Find More Posts by Bear_Pants
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 23, 2011, 12:40 PM
S.E.Michigan
Joined Jul 2010
2,240 Posts
What do you mean go easy, looks good.

Cant really read you OSD, so , was there a disparity in the rssi and the video glitches? How far out, and was it just the high bank of the turn or what? Which antennas are you using, tx and rx?

Are you happy with the testing?
wheelspinner20 is offline Find More Posts by wheelspinner20
Old Oct 23, 2011, 01:43 PM
Joined Mar 2003
38 Posts
robzzz is offline Find More Posts by robzzz
Old Oct 23, 2011, 01:58 PM
Joined Mar 2003
38 Posts
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/woBzKY2Qwh8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Flight from park. Daughter was recording from iPhone so it's a little shaky.

Can't seem to get you video to show. Can someone tell me how? Thanks
Last edited by robzzz; Oct 23, 2011 at 02:09 PM.
Old Oct 23, 2011, 02:57 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,314 Posts
Robzzz

Looking good!!! Thanks for posting. Here is a ready link for your video.

It flies great for a second flight. What are you carrying that it weighs 3 lbs?

Grim reaper rc wing (3 min 0 sec)
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
Last edited by Lee; Oct 23, 2011 at 03:05 PM.
Old Oct 23, 2011, 04:35 PM
Joined Mar 2003
38 Posts
It weighs so much because of a combination of to much hot glue in spar slots and I didn't cut the extreme tape in half when taping.

How do you post YouTube video link?
Old Oct 23, 2011, 04:57 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,954 Posts
Well done bear Pants. In still waiting for parts for my plane!!! How did the vibrations go in the end? The ahi looked ok. That is some weird video behavior though. Never seen anything quite like that, almost as if it is losing power for a second...
Gree is offline Find More Posts by Gree
Old Oct 23, 2011, 05:47 PM
S.E.Michigan
Joined Jul 2010
2,240 Posts
Rob. If you can view the video at the youtube site, just highlight, right click the http link in the browser address bar, select copy. then paste it in this forum thread where you type the message... Should work. Let us know if you have any problems.

Pat
Old Oct 23, 2011, 05:54 PM
S.E.Michigan
Joined Jul 2010
2,240 Posts
Like this hope it helps.
Old Oct 23, 2011, 06:04 PM
wheeeeee!
United States, UT, Provo
Joined Oct 2011
916 Posts
Wow. One week and 166 pages of reading, I think I'm finally ready to start my Reaper build. There's certainly a lot of info and experience here.

For now, this is just going to be for sport, not fpv or combat. ("Yet" being the key word, right?) I've never done LEDs. Any links to good, lightweight LEDs? Are they difficult to find locally? How about powering them? I was thinking of mounting two 2200s for longer flight time anyway, can I just power the LEDs from those? How?

Thanks
elCapitan is offline Find More Posts by elCapitan
Old Oct 23, 2011, 06:21 PM
Suspended Account
United States, NJ, Manchester
Joined May 2011
1,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelspinner20 View Post
What do you mean go easy, looks good.

Cant really read you OSD, so , was there a disparity in the rssi and the video glitches? How far out, and was it just the high bank of the turn or what? Which antennas are you using, tx and rx?

Are you happy with the testing?
If you full screen the video in 720p you can read the OSD. For the most party the RSSI was 100% and the glitches were not in the goggles but just through the ezcap. I am using a 1.3 400mw VTX with inverted V and an untuned 8db patch on the ground. I am going to use my return to home next flight and fly out further to test my video range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gree View Post
Well done bear Pants. In still waiting for parts for my plane!!! How did the vibrations go in the end? The ahi looked ok. That is some weird video behavior though. Never seen anything quite like that, almost as if it is losing power for a second...
Next time I fly I will turn on the debug screen so we can both see how the vibrations went. These were quick trim check flights really lol. Been pretty windy lately at that field. The AHI worked great as far as the glitching out on the video that is just the EZcap! It did not do it through my fatsharks!!
Bear_Pants is offline Find More Posts by Bear_Pants
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 23, 2011, 06:29 PM
S.E.Michigan
Joined Jul 2010
2,240 Posts
Quote:
Any links to good, lightweight LEDs?
El Capitan....You are in Utah, and you don't know ryan??? Is the state that big?lol

http://www.planeinsanerc.com/index.php?PageID=128
Old Oct 23, 2011, 06:35 PM
wheeeeee!
United States, UT, Provo
Joined Oct 2011
916 Posts
Actually, I bought my radio from Ryan. Good guy. I know he's out of stock on a few things right now, I didn't think to ask him about LEDs. Duh.
elCapitan is offline Find More Posts by elCapitan
Old Oct 23, 2011, 06:36 PM
S.E.Michigan
Joined Jul 2010
2,240 Posts
Quote:
can I just power the LEDs from those? How?
El Cap, two batts are not necessary unless you want all that extra weight? I dont know maybe the flight time is worth it, it will fly fine with that weight. But, you dont need a seperate batt for just the lights.

I bought a balance connector adapter, and cut off the female JST-xh from a 3s charge adapter. Solder the various pos and neg leads from the LED strips together in parallel. and use only the outside 2 leads on the female JST-xh. Check polarity carefully. The outside 2 leads on your battery ballance is combined on a 3s battery for 12 volts. I will post a pic in a minute.