HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 08, 2010, 08:54 AM
Plane Insane RC.com
Spanish Fork Utah
Joined Mar 2005
1,327 Posts
I have thought about this. Luckily for me my wing just fits in the back of my car but if I bring several planes with me, it can get pretty tricky to get it in. This is what I would or will do.

I’m gong to assume that the people that want to split the wing are people like me that are going to be using it for FPV. Everyone knows that an FPV plane has a lot of stuff like wires and equipment. Much more than a regular plane. Because of this it’s not practical to split the wing in the middle. Instead the goal should be to have removable wing tips. The reason for this is the majority of my FPV stuff is in the middle of the plane. Sure it can be disconnected when the wing is pulled apart but why not just keep the majority of the stuff together and only disconnect a couple of things like in my case in one wing I would disconnect my video TX and on the other wing my receiver antenna. Another nice thing about not pulling the wing apart in the middle is you maybe weakening the middle of the wing. To make removable wing tips just do as Lee said with the tubing and stuff. You will also need a way to hook the 2 halves of the evlerons together or you could just use 2 servos on each.

Just my 2 cents.
Ryan
chicken hawk is offline Find More Posts by chicken hawk
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 17, 2010, 09:23 AM
Joined Aug 2007
231 Posts
Split Reaper

Here is the central section of my SPLIT Grim Reaper based on Lee's description. I didn't use the steel rods and brass tubes described by Lee because I'm an engineer and therefore I never read or follow instructions particularly well... I've used 3mm ply for the four ribs, two 6mm CF rods x 300mm long, four CF tubes 8mm OD x 6mm ID x 150mm long. It feels really strong me. I've bonded the ply ribs to the EPP with epoxy but probably could / should have used a foam glue like POR.

I will be using it for FPV and like the idea of splitting down the centreline. My electronics (Rx, ESC, OSD, Camera etc) can be positioned on one side of the centreline to offset and balance the Vtx which will be on the opposite wing tip. I think the only three wires to cross the central joint will be one servo lead, the Vtx cable and one of the two lipo leads.

The tubes are currently very parallel which means it slides together and apart a little too well. I'll use some extreme tape or velcro on the bottom or magnets on the central rib faces to hold it together. Not sure if the magnets will interfere with my FPV gear (should be OK?).

I've ended up with a tiny amount of dihedral (gap along bottom of central ribs. I'll need to fiddle with the hole positions in the ply ribs a little to fix that before I bond the tubes into the ribs.

I'm a really slow builder (I dont get much time for it after family and work) so you probably wont see the finished article for a few more weeks...
Roo2 is offline Find More Posts by Roo2
Old Sep 17, 2010, 10:28 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo2 View Post
Here is the central section of my SPLIT Grim Reaper based on Lee's description. I didn't use the steel rods and brass tubes described by Lee because I'm an engineer and therefore I never read or follow instructions particularly well... I've used 3mm ply for the four ribs, two 6mm CF rods x 300mm long, four CF tubes 8mm OD x 6mm ID x 150mm long. It feels really strong me. I've bonded the ply ribs to the EPP with epoxy but probably could / should have used a foam glue like POR.

I will be using it for FPV and like the idea of splitting down the centreline. My electronics (Rx, ESC, OSD, Camera etc) can be positioned on one side of the centreline to offset and balance the Vtx which will be on the opposite wing tip. I think the only three wires to cross the central joint will be one servo lead, the Vtx cable and one of the two lipo leads.

The tubes are currently very parallel which means it slides together and apart a little too well. I'll use some extreme tape or velcro on the bottom or magnets on the central rib faces to hold it together. Not sure if the magnets will interfere with my FPV gear (should be OK?).

I've ended up with a tiny amount of dihedral (gap along bottom of central ribs. I'll need to fiddle with the hole positions in the ply ribs a little to fix that before I bond the tubes into the ribs.

I'm a really slow builder (I dont get much time for it after family and work) so you probably wont see the finished article for a few more weeks...
Looks good. A little dihedral won't hurt a lot will affect it.

I know that the bigger carbon has the strength to support the weight between the wing halves but I shattered the carbon with one of my attempts when the wing was flexed.

Please keep posting pictures as the project goes forward. I would like to post pictures as a reference at the first of this thread to help others.

Lee
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
Last edited by Lee; Sep 17, 2010 at 10:44 AM.
Old Sep 19, 2010, 09:33 PM
Cedar Rapids, IA
Joined Aug 2010
831 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
I have been asked how to split a Reaper in half for easier storage and transport.

2. Build each wing half independently with a plywood plate in the center of each wing where they will be joined and a second plate about 5" from the root of the wing. To do this I cut the wing core to insert the 2nd plywood plate and glue it in place.

Lee
Do I have this right? ...you end up with the plane in two halves. Each half is cut into two about 5 inches from the center of the complete wing. Each half has two ribs to provide strength for the tubes to rest within the ribs? The tips of the wings are glued to the "mid-wing" ribs?

This replaces any other spars in the regular build or is there other strengthening out in the wing tips?

To keep the wings together, how about extending the middle ribs just a bit with a hole in each end for either a nylon bolt or a zip tie? Or... if you want the EPP by the nose to absorb crashes... only extend the rear part of the rib? Or... extend a tab down from the rib up by the front for a bolt or zip tie?

What about the shock cord in this technique? Applied individually to each half?
MiddleMarc is offline Find More Posts by MiddleMarc
Old Sep 20, 2010, 08:03 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiddleMarc View Post
Do I have this right? ...you end up with the plane in two halves. Each half is cut into two about 5 inches from the center of the complete wing. Each half has two ribs to provide strength for the tubes to rest within the ribs? The tips of the wings are glued to the "mid-wing" ribs?

This replaces any other spars in the regular build or is there other strengthening out in the wing tips?

To keep the wings together, how about extending the middle ribs just a bit with a hole in each end for either a nylon bolt or a zip tie? Or... if you want the EPP by the nose to absorb crashes... only extend the rear part of the rib? Or... extend a tab down from the rib up by the front for a bolt or zip tie?

What about the shock cord in this technique? Applied individually to each half?
There isn't a right or wrong way but don't let it get heavy in the process. The G.R. is a bigger and heavier plane and needs a lot more reinforcement than an Assassin would need.

I would still use a shock cord around each half and I would use spars.

The light ply ribs keep the spars from tearing though the foam. On a plane the size of an Assassin it may be possible to have a hollow spar with a pin that lines it up. I've seen people tape the two halves together after they get a small pin to line it up.

I'm sure it can be done and keep the weight down and I'm interested in what builders can come up with.

How do other planes do it?
Old Sep 20, 2010, 08:10 AM
Joined Aug 2007
231 Posts
You have it mostly right MiddleMarc. I have used all the other fibreglass spars as per the regular A-frame construction. I haven't used the shock cord because I think it is mainly for combat / crash strength (I might be wrong). I don't plan to crash... Hah, famous last words. I'm sure there are lots of ways of joining the two halves. Your ideas of extending the centre ribs for connecting are all good. As I've progressed a bit further and crudely adjusted the position of the joining tubes to remove most of the accidental dihedral they have become slightly less well aligned (which is good) and a little tighter to pull apart. I think I'll use a bit of tape to keep it together at first then try some rare earth magnets as long as they don't hurt the video.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 08:24 AM
Joined Aug 2007
231 Posts
Split Reaper

Here are some photos of yesterday's progress.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 10:07 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,108 Posts
Quote:
Here are some photos of yesterday's progress.
That looks great. You have done a lot of work.

With the motor pushing on the plywood ribs it should be strong enough.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 07:35 AM
Joined Aug 2007
231 Posts
Thanks Lee. I've epoxied the SS motor bracket to the white laminate material. Would some small self tappers through the bottom laminate into the ply rib be enough? Or do you recommend bolting through to the top piece of laminate material?
Old Sep 21, 2010, 07:38 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,108 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Lee. I've epoxied the SS motor bracket to the white laminate material. Would some small self tappers through the bottom laminate into the ply rib be enough? Or do you recommend bolting through to the top piece of laminate material?
I think either would work. I think at least one of my Reapers only has screws in the bottom and has held up well. Many flyers are putting longer bolts all of the way through.
Old Sep 24, 2010, 10:15 PM
USA, OH, Mason
Joined Jun 2010
136 Posts
My Reaper is almost FPV-ready

My Repaer is getting close to being FPV-ready. This is my first attempt at FPV so I'm taking my time building and testing one piece at a time.

I didn't want to go duct tape crazy and wanted to leave room for expansion, so I built a custom camera/electronics mount using ABS plastic. It's mounted with four screws into the formica plates through the body. I'm using a 1.3Ghz BOB/Fox-700 transmitter with IBCrazy's Inverted-Vee antenna design. It has lights for night flight but they're disconnected until I get guys to do FPV at night.

No autopilot or OSD for me yet. I'm using a standard Spektrum 2.4ghz radio setup so I'm not planning on anything long range yet. I don't have much of a base station yet so the plan is to use a laptop with USB video in just to test things out. I have a dedicated LCD monitor on order to start building out a proper base station.

So with any luck I'll get the FPV equiment in the air for the first time this weekend. I probably won't be flying through FPV much yet but will be my first test. <FINGERS CROSSED!>
andrejk is offline Find More Posts by andrejk
Old Sep 25, 2010, 08:24 PM
Joined Aug 2007
231 Posts
That looks great andrejk. Your V-antenna mounting looks excellent. Get in touch with IBCrazy to check the length of cable between the VTx and the V-antenna. It might be better to put the VTx further out the wing with a longer cable to it and a shorter cable between the VTx and the antenna. Not sure but I think you might loose video transmitting power the way you have it.
Old Oct 03, 2010, 11:21 PM
Yhdysvallat, CA, Irvine
Joined Nov 2007
230 Posts
just started to build the 58" Grim Reaper wing. Just finished the gluing the to wing half together and lost track which of the wings was left and which right. Are the wings symmetrical from the wing chord perspective?
p3jpaavi is offline Find More Posts by p3jpaavi
Old Oct 03, 2010, 11:37 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by p3jpaavi View Post
just started to build the 58" Grim Reaper wing. Just finished the gluing the to wing half together and lost track which of the wings was left and which right. Are the wings symmetrical from the wing chord perspective?
If you glued them together in the middle you're n the right track. If you stand behind the plane with the plane right side up, the right wing is on your right.
Old Oct 03, 2010, 11:59 PM
Flying with the eagles
Eagle's nest
Joined Nov 2008
2,121 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrejk View Post
My Repaer is getting close to being FPV-ready. This is my first attempt at FPV so I'm taking my time building and testing one piece at a time.

I didn't want to go duct tape crazy and wanted to leave room for expansion, so I built a custom camera/electronics mount using ABS plastic. It's mounted with four screws into the formica plates through the body. I'm using a 1.3Ghz BOB/Fox-700 transmitter with IBCrazy's Inverted-Vee antenna design. It has lights for night flight but they're disconnected until I get guys to do FPV at night.

No autopilot or OSD for me yet. I'm using a standard Spektrum 2.4ghz radio setup so I'm not planning on anything long range yet. I don't have much of a base station yet so the plan is to use a laptop with USB video in just to test things out. I have a dedicated LCD monitor on order to start building out a proper base station.

So with any luck I'll get the FPV equiment in the air for the first time this weekend. I probably won't be flying through FPV much yet but will be my first test. <FINGERS CROSSED!>
Have you balanced it yet? It looks like not enough weight up in front.
etman is offline Find More Posts by etman