Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 21, 2010, 06:18 AM
Flying with the eagles
Eagle's nest
Joined Nov 2008
2,121 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
I have received some advice that I thought to pass along to help decrease the shakiness of the video.

If you look at many of the APV videos you will see that it looks like flyers are often making a lot of small flying adjustments in flight. This is an caused by the exaggerated illusion of small movements in the plane with an attached fixed camera. A small direction change in the plane makes a huge sweep of the direction of the camera.

First make sure the plane is trimmed so that it flies straight and level with hands off so you won't need to make many corrections. Simply fine trimming the plane will often smooth out your video.

Second, fly with thumb and finger on the right stick not just thumb. When flyers shoot video while just flying with the thumb on the stick there is a jerky look to the video, especially on a plane as powerful and as instantly responsive as the Grim Reaper. When you pinch the right stick on the transmitter it smooths out some of the jerky look to the video because it forces you to use slower stick inputs and helps prevent the bumping the stick which can be seen on the video.

Third is fly for the camera. Think smooth flat bombing runs and long smooth turns and aim the plane at what you want people to see and let the plane have some flat and level flight time traveling towards the target. I was looking at a video over a waterway in Norway and saw just a glimpse of a boat dock that I would have liked to see more of but it was only on the video for a second or two as the plane was in a turn. I'm sure if the pilot knew I had interest he could have given me a better look.

Fourth, It is always fun to see the pilot flying. Do some low strafing run passes. People notice if you put yourself in the video and show where you are standing to shoot the video.
All very good tips.
etman is offline Find More Posts by etman
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 21, 2010, 07:18 AM
Don't disturb the pilot !!!
Canada, QC, Quebec
Joined Jun 2008
2,183 Posts
Thanks Lee for the tips !

I'll try to improve my flights with these. I've learned to fly all by myself and don't have anyone near to ''correct'' bad habits that I have or teach new stuff to try so these are very helpful!

I usually fly to have fun and sometimes (read here most of the time) I forget that the camera is shooting

As for trimming I'm still ''experiencing'' with this plane for the perfect CG with the GoPro.
saucisse is offline Find More Posts by saucisse
Old Aug 23, 2010, 10:44 PM
USA, OH, Mason
Joined Jun 2010
136 Posts
@ChickenHawk -- it looks like you have fishing line tying things together.. am I right? an extra safety measure? did you learn to do that the hard way?
andrejk is offline Find More Posts by andrejk
Old Aug 23, 2010, 10:51 PM
Plane Insane RC.com
Spanish Fork Utah
Joined Mar 2005
1,327 Posts
Oh man let me tell you. I have lost several of those key chain cameras and I had one that made it into the rotor of a helicopter. Its a good idea to tie them down. Velcro is great but it has it's limitations.
chicken hawk is offline Find More Posts by chicken hawk
Old Aug 26, 2010, 01:20 AM
Flying with the eagles
Eagle's nest
Joined Nov 2008
2,121 Posts
Aww shucks... I got my GR for some time now, but have not got down to building it...
Too many things on my hands...also nowadays I'm feeling down.
Lost a plane, family problems...sorry for ranting...
Old Aug 26, 2010, 01:24 AM
Flying with the eagles
Eagle's nest
Joined Nov 2008
2,121 Posts
Quote:
Can I buy advertising on the nose of your plane?

That's some pretty country you live in. we are in the desert and everything but the irrigated sod farm here goes gray and brown this time of year.

Looks like it is flying good!
Hi Lee, do you have any logo I can put on my GR?
Old Aug 29, 2010, 10:09 PM
USA, OH, Mason
Joined Jun 2010
136 Posts
I finally finished building my Reaper today so I took it for a maiden flight today. The TR 35-30A I ordered for this plane hasn't arrived yet, but it didn't take long for me to pull the small TR 28-26 off my Assassin to at least give it a spin.

I built this plane out with a 2200mah 3s battery and LED lights.. everything's pretty stock. I did come up with a new trick on wiring the LED lights: sewing stores sell very long sewing needles for upholstery work. With a 5" needle, I was able to run a single pair of wires and alternate between the bottom and top of the wing. It's very clean.

Out on the field it only took me two nose-into-the-ground launches to realize that I had my mixing messed up--ailererons were good but elevator was reversed switched wires the servos and swiched reversals on the channels and it was good to go. I was surprised how well this plane does with the 28-26 motor and the 7x6 prop. It wasn't going vertical but it had plenty of power to launch, get into trouble, and get out of trouble.

I only had one battery charged so I went back at 9pm for some night flight fun. That was great too--the plane is so stable and the air was so still, I could turn around and look behind me and come back to the plane just flying along its way. With slow passes and a little zipping, I'm getting 15 minute flights on the 2200mah pack.

Next project--start building out the FPV rig through small steps. I want to learn as I go and not put too many huge purchases into a single month.

The Grim Reaper is a great addition to the family EPP fleet, along-side 2 Assassins (plus one that's still in a soybean field somewhere )
andrejk is offline Find More Posts by andrejk
Old Sep 02, 2010, 09:09 AM
Joined Aug 2007
231 Posts
Hi all, I'm halfway through building my GR for FPV. Etman and I are neighbors and met a few weekends back!

I'm not happy with my application of laminate film. Wrinklier than my eyes after too much Tiger beer. Can I peel it off or will it damage the surface? Any tips? I though applying a bit of heat with the iron might help.
Roo2 is offline Find More Posts by Roo2
Old Sep 02, 2010, 09:38 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,922 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo2 View Post
Hi all, I'm halfway through building my GR for FPV. Etman and I are neighbors and met a few weekends back!

I'm not happy with my application of laminate film. Wrinklier than my eyes after too much Tiger beer. Can I peel it off or will it damage the surface? Any tips? I though applying a bit of heat with the iron might help.
When you peel the laminate it usually sticks to the EPP enough that it looses it's adhesive. BE CAREFUL with the heat gun and iron. The laminate can take more heat than the foam and you can melt the foam and change the airfoil instead of getting out the wrinkles.

Possible solutions:

#1 Take a razorblade and gently shave the surface if the wrinlkes are real bad and in a specific location then put a patch over the site. The clear laminate will hardly show.

#2 Put some trim colors over the wrinkled area and hide them with the color scheme.

#3 Fly the plane and see if at 100 feet and 80 MPH you can still see the wrinkles.

#4 As a last resort your can peel and re-laminate. The trouble with re-lamination is it also may peel the Extreme Tape so it is not usually the best choice.

#5 Drink more Tiger Beer and maybe you won't see them any more.

Lee
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
Old Sep 02, 2010, 10:31 AM
Flying with the eagles
Eagle's nest
Joined Nov 2008
2,121 Posts
Quote:

That's great man! Pls post pictures of your build.
I'm too busy with rebuilding my Eagle now. Will follow up with the GR after this build is over.
Old Sep 02, 2010, 11:30 PM
Joined Aug 2007
231 Posts
Quote:
#5 Drink more Tiger Beer and maybe you won't see them any more.

Lee
Option 5 it is then!
Old Sep 03, 2010, 03:34 PM
Go Fly Yourself...!!
United States, WA, Bonney Lake
Joined Oct 2004
1,459 Posts
Quote:
Option 5 it is then!
LOL... wise choice, that's the option I'd go for!

D-Man
xxD-Manxx is offline Find More Posts by xxD-Manxx
Old Sep 05, 2010, 12:09 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,922 Posts
I shot some video of Jared flying a finless Reaper in combat. The plane is rock solid without fins. He is flying with a Warp can motor that does make a little more noise because of the smaller prop and higher RPM. Jared is chasing a 34" Assassin and a 52" cut down Titan and he puts the Reaper though it's all kids of flying maneuvers trying to get position for a hit.

Not bad for a FPV/Video plane design!

Jared's 58" Grim Reaper finless EPP flying wing (4 min 10 sec)
Old Sep 08, 2010, 01:18 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,922 Posts
I have been asked how to split a Reaper in half for easier storage and transport. Some of you may have an easier way to build the plane to make it possible to divide it in half. please give feedback if you have a better idea than this:

Don't underestimate the forces in flight on a plane. I don't know if the 1/8" fiberglass rods are strong enough to give the support if they are cut. I have made several planes that come apart into two halves. I did the following.

1. Cut four wing rib shaped pieces of 1/8" plywood to go in the center of the wing and drill them so the brass tubes discussed later will line up. the wing spars also need to be well attached to these plywood ribs. You have to drill the holes calculating the sweep of the wing.

2. Build each wing half independently with a plywood plate in the center of each wing where they will be joined and a second plate about 5" from the root of the wing. To do this I cut the wing core to insert the 2nd plywood plate and glue it in place.

3. Get 2 brass tubes that are 12" long with an inside diameter of 1/4" and two steel piano wire 12" long 1/4". Cut the brass tubes to 6". 2 brass tubes will be inserted in each wing half one forward in the wing and one back. Some people like to use carbon for the parts I just described but I have had them break so I went back to the heavier brass and steel.

4. Perfect alignment is important to make this work. The 2 steel rods will fit in the brass tubes of each wing and as the wing is pressed together will support the 2 wing halves.

5. My rods have been tight enough that the wings would stay together probably due to a slight misalignement but you may need to invent a way to secure the halves together with screws or a zip tie.

It's not simple but I had one of the wings I built in the 80s last for years and the connection of the two halves never failed.

Lee
Old Sep 08, 2010, 07:57 AM
Joined Aug 2007
231 Posts
Thanks Lee. Great description. Anyone else done something like this? Please post photos.