SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 10, 2011, 11:40 AM
United States, FL, Plantation
Joined Nov 2005
655 Posts
rocky, awesome.

Question on CG effects...

If my wing was a tad nose heavy (measured at 10") would elevator inputs seem less responsive? I noticed on my maiden that pulling out of a dive was a bit harder than I would have liked. Roll rate was great though. This could have been caused by the failing ESC too though.
GregSilver is offline Find More Posts by GregSilver
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 10, 2011, 11:52 AM
TREES!!! Ouch!!!
Mexico, BC
Joined Jun 2009
1,979 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregSilver View Post
rocky, awesome.

Question on CG effects...

If my wing was a tad nose heavy (measured at 10") would elevator inputs seem less responsive? I noticed on my maiden that pulling out of a dive was a bit harder than I would have liked. Roll rate was great though. This could have been caused by the failing ESC too though.
how heavy is your wing and what servos i can go alot heavier but my servos where starting to stal maybe that is your problem if so balance it a tad back more and mine is balanced at 9 3/4 for stabilyty but i used biger servos than recomended
ROCKY2 is offline Find More Posts by ROCKY2
Old Aug 10, 2011, 01:00 PM
Joined Jan 2011
22 Posts
Longer Flight Times?

I'm looking to set up an FPV wing, and am hoping for 20-30 minute flight times. I'm not looking to fly super aggressively, so I'd be okay to sacrifice a bit of max-speed for longer flights. Any suggestions on how to set up a GR like this? Do you think that the standard 35-30A 1700 motor, combined with a 2700mah or 3300mah 3-cell battery would do the job? Even if carrying a GoPro?

Thanks for any suggestions you can give me!
benjie is offline Find More Posts by benjie
Old Aug 10, 2011, 01:27 PM
TREES!!! Ouch!!!
Mexico, BC
Joined Jun 2009
1,979 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjie View Post
I'm looking to set up an FPV wing, and am hoping for 20-30 minute flight times. I'm not looking to fly super aggressively, so I'd be okay to sacrifice a bit of max-speed for longer flights. Any suggestions on how to set up a GR like this? Do you think that the standard 35-30A 1700 motor, combined with a 2700mah or 3300mah 3-cell battery would do the job? Even if carrying a GoPro?

Thanks for any suggestions you can give me!
ok first off are you on a tight budget and ya you can achive that flight time ill be happy to help you out i got a 38 min flight the other day on 3500mah 3 cell but no gopro i used a 1 ounce camara
FPV Breaking Formations (3 min 41 sec)
5000mah on my crash test hobby grim reaper (1 min 50 sec)
Old Aug 10, 2011, 01:48 PM
Joined Nov 2005
655 Posts
I am using HD-1711MG servos. I am unsure of AUW (no scale)
Old Aug 10, 2011, 01:52 PM
Joined Nov 2005
655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKY2 View Post
how heavy is your wing and what servos i can go alot heavier but my servos where starting to stal maybe that is your problem if so balance it a tad back more and mine is balanced at 9 3/4 for stabilyty but i used biger servos than recomended
To be a little more clear on my question...

What does the wing fly like when it is nose heavy? Is there a lack of control in pitch?

Also, how much throw/deflection are you using Rocky?
Old Aug 10, 2011, 01:54 PM
TREES!!! Ouch!!!
Mexico, BC
Joined Jun 2009
1,979 Posts
Quote:
I am using HD-1711MG servos. I am unsure of AUW (no scale)
can you get a link to the servos i use these servos and work great and i flew my reaper at 3 pounds 5.2 ounces
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=6608
Old Aug 10, 2011, 01:55 PM
TREES!!! Ouch!!!
Mexico, BC
Joined Jun 2009
1,979 Posts
Quote:

What does the wing fly like when it is nose heavy? Is there a lack of control in pitch?

oh okay let me go fly it balanced at 9 inches and ill tell you
Old Aug 10, 2011, 01:59 PM
Joined Jan 2011
22 Posts
Thanks ROCKY2,

I'm not on a super-tight budget (although I think the Team Black Sheep Zephyr Kit for $1400 is a bit out of my range...). I already have 1 set of FPV gear working great in my EZStar, and another set (including a 2nd DragonLink receiver, free from referring a friend) ready to install into a wing. So what I still need to figure out is mostly the wing's power system. Motor, battery, prop.

If you're getting 38 minute flights on a 3500mah battery, and you're happy with how it flies, then I think I'll just try to duplicate your setup!

Could you tell me what motor you use, and do you suggest a folding prop to reduce drag and landing damage?

Thanks!
benjie is offline Find More Posts by benjie
Old Aug 10, 2011, 02:04 PM
United States, MS, Clinton
Joined Apr 2010
401 Posts
Quote:

Could you tell me what motor you use, and do you suggest a folding prop to reduce drag and landing damage?

Thanks!
I highly recommend a folding prop setup. A 7x4 CAM folding prop works nicely and still makes plenty of thrust. Just make sure to order a set of prop stops from FPVManuals or simply makes some to prevent the prop from hitting the wing or over folding too far.

Also bieng nose heavy isn't bad, I like knowing that if I am having issues such as a faulty ESC, etc. I can get some glide speed quickly....saved my @$$ the other evening
bamabaxter is offline Find More Posts by bamabaxter
Old Aug 10, 2011, 02:05 PM
TREES!!! Ouch!!!
Mexico, BC
Joined Jun 2009
1,979 Posts
Quote:

okay so i just flew it at 9 inches and it was barly noticeable a lil slower than i flew it at 11 inches and it just wouldent glide anymore makes for a great harier landing haha i have 1 inch up and 1 inch down
Old Aug 10, 2011, 02:09 PM
Joined Nov 2005
655 Posts
Here is what I am using. A little more power than yours, Rocky.
http://www.valuehobby.com/product_de...21&item_id=480
Old Aug 10, 2011, 02:09 PM
Joined Nov 2005
655 Posts
wow...im amazed at the CG range.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 02:10 PM
Joined Nov 2005
655 Posts
1" up when combined with ail/ele or 1" when using JUST elevator? If so, that is my problem.. I have 3/8" and a total of 3/4" when both inputs are used
Old Aug 10, 2011, 02:11 PM
TREES!!! Ouch!!!
Mexico, BC
Joined Jun 2009
1,979 Posts
Quote:
Thanks ROCKY2,

I'm not on a super-tight budget (although I think the Team Black Sheep Zephyr Kit for $1400 is a bit out of my range...). I already have 1 set of FPV gear working great in my EZStar, and another set (including a 2nd DragonLink receiver, free from referring a friend) ready to install into a wing. So what I still need to figure out is mostly the wing's power system. Motor, battery, prop.

If you're getting 38 minute flights on a 3500mah battery, and you're happy with how it flies, then I think I'll just try to duplicate your setup!

Thanks!
im using this motor on 7x5 or 8x4 yes use a cam 7x5 folding prop http://www.rcdude.com/servlet/the-20...s-Motor/Detail but i fly with a 2200 for flight pack and a 610 2 cell for fpv gear most the time and get 20 solid minutes on it i would recomend this.... and just get 2 2200s 3 cell but do you really want to go long range you wouldent put a gopro on it right?