HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 19, 2010, 10:22 AM
United States, CA, Cameron Park
Joined May 2007
1,258 Posts
Use this thing as an additional backup.

You should still time your flights as you did before.

This unit provides you another layer of protection while flying. Last week I forgot to measure a battery package I took out of my box and right before I was about to taxi to the runway I checked full throttle response and saw on the display that one cell was dropping voltage way beyond what the other cells were showing. Everything sounded right but the readings showed me a battery about to go bad. I took the battery out and later I verified that the battery was indeed ready for to be trashed.

This is just one use for the Quanum. It does not sets the limits or makes decisions, you do.
Highfly! is offline Find More Posts by Highfly!
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 19, 2010, 10:40 AM
Joined Apr 2007
369 Posts
Mine will be here in about a week. I will test it our with my Dx7 and let you guys know how it performs with a Spektrum.
wolffcub is offline Find More Posts by wolffcub
Old Feb 19, 2010, 09:25 PM
Oopss. Oh well.
In the tropics
Joined Jan 2006
3,615 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodsmith123 View Post
Before a flight I had readings from 3.95 volts up to 4.8 volts. After the flight, I had readings from 3.7 to 4.5 volts. Again, the charger showed the pack to be balanced. I haven't opened it up to see if there are pots to adjust. YMMV
If you bought your unit for HC, then get an RMA number from them and return it. I'm sure it'll be replaced no questions asked. Click below to get to the RMA page (you'll need to fill up your e-mail and password).
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ct=&idProduct=

From your description, one of the volt sensor is out of calibration (the one showing 4.8 volts). If you can live with one faulty sensor, then the unit would be good enough as an on board volt monitoring device.
borneobear is offline Find More Posts by borneobear
Old Feb 19, 2010, 10:57 PM
United States, CA, Pleasanton
Joined Mar 2003
113 Posts
The audible alarm is a good thing....in fact the only thing while flying. It seems like a very bad idea to take your eyes off your model while it's in the air.
sideshow is offline Find More Posts by sideshow
Old Feb 20, 2010, 11:03 AM
Love my Raven's!
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined Mar 2007
8,048 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sideshow View Post
The audible alarm is a good thing....in fact the only thing while flying. It seems like a very bad idea to take your eyes off your model while it's in the air.
True, but there are times when you can take your eyes off the model in the air, such as when you are just cruising along nice and level.

Always helpful to have someone else give you the readings when you ask for them as well.
cryhavoc38 is offline Find More Posts by cryhavoc38
Old Feb 22, 2010, 03:00 PM
AMA 670207
United States, WA, Sumner
Joined Oct 2000
2,774 Posts
Not Happy

Just got mine in today. Pushed in the bind button on the receiver and something snapped. It felt very weak. Not a positive feel like the power button on the Tx or the Rx Unit not working. Not very happy. Waited three weeks for it.

I'll be sending it back for another unit.

Perry
Rudderman98 is offline Find More Posts by Rudderman98
Old Feb 22, 2010, 04:58 PM
Talk to me Goose ...
Poquott, NY
Joined Jun 2009
59 Posts
Got mine last week - Voltage readings match CellPro10S perfectly (sometimes 1/10 difference). Flew all weekend with it and I can tell you it is an awesome leading 'indicator' of battery life remaining ... you look at it very infrequently. Only times I viewed it were:

1. When I thought I was getting close to using up the Lipo in the plane, I would glide a bit and glance quickly at the reading ... it was usually was far earlier in the flight then necessary (I am trained to land early); and
2. If I wanted to get a perfect no-load reading, I landed and just let her sit for a minute to get a zero-load reading (no opening hatches, no guess work). The best part? Most of the time I had a few minutes left!

AWESOME device, 100% recommended, extends flight times AND gives peace of mind - seems there are some bad ones getting sent out, send em' back and get one that works!!!

(Little trick I learned, not clear from the instructions - you only need to sync the transmitter and receiver once - from then on, when you plug in a new Lipo, just touch the "Link" button on the receiver and it will find whatever battery you plugged in)
JJJNYC is offline Find More Posts by JJJNYC
Old Feb 23, 2010, 04:31 AM
One cell short of a Pack
Good ole Smithsburg, MD
Joined Mar 2007
1,866 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudderman98 View Post
Just got mine in today. Pushed in the bind button on the receiver and something snapped. It felt very weak. Not a positive feel like the power button on the Tx or the Rx Unit not working. Not very happy. Waited three weeks for it.

I'll be sending it back for another unit.

Perry
I just sent one of my TX's back because the #C3 voltage always read 4.12 no matter what the cell voltage actually was The other unit is pretty close, but not as accurate as it could be. It's good for "just a reminder" when flying though, and that is what I bought it for. This is the first time I have ever sent anything back to HK. I wonder how long it will be - 2 months minimum I bet

Cheers,
Steve
steve1814 is online now Find More Posts by steve1814
Old Feb 23, 2010, 12:15 PM
AMA 670207
Joined Oct 2000
2,774 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1814 View Post
This is the first time I have ever sent anything back to HK. I wonder how long it will be - 2 months minimum I bet

Cheers,
Steve
Same here Steve. Bought quite a few items from them and this is the first time I've had to sending anything back.

I guess there has to be a first time for everything.

Perry
Old Feb 23, 2010, 12:30 PM
The Hun in the Sun
Canada, BC, Comox
Joined Nov 2003
7,242 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1814 View Post
This is the first time I have ever sent anything back to HK. I wonder how long it will be - 2 months minimum I bet
Cheers,
Steve
I had to send one DOA Lipo back last fall. It was a big heavy pack, and air mail would have cost more than the pack was worth, so I sent it via surface mail, knowing it was literally on the slow boat to China. I got my replacement pack via airmail in about 6 weeks. I'm guessing that for 5 weeks of that the battery was on the Pacific ocean on its way to Hong Kong. Hobby King seemed to handle it pretty quickly.
vonJaerschky is offline Find More Posts by vonJaerschky
Old Feb 23, 2010, 03:16 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,554 Posts
Voltage comparisions

Quanum ----3.33 3.32 3.33 3.35 // 3.86 3.85 3.86 3.88 // 3.80 3.80 3.80
Power Lab 8 3.35 3.32 3.33 3.35 // 3.85 3.85 3.85 3.85 // 3.80 3.80 3.80

Looks darn close to me.

My FMA Cellpro PowerLab8 is one of the mostly hand assembled and in-house calibrated beta units and I have compared it to other know standards and it is extremely accurate IMO.

Added : 2-24-2010
Paralleled with Cellpro Powerlab cells are 0.01 to 0.02 higher on the Quanum and 3S pack voltage 0.02 to 0.03 higher.

I am extremely pleased with these results as I can now monitor my charges from any where around the house now. No more rushing back to the charging area just to make sure everything is normal especially during meals. I have been known to leave the table 3 or 4 times to check on everything.

A side benefit is that I can now moniter two dispalys at once as in cells and pack voltage( two different screens on the PL8) on the Quanum and cell IRs ,mAh in / out ,charge rate etc. on the PL8's display without having to scroll.

Charles
everydayflyer is online now Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Last edited by everydayflyer; Feb 24, 2010 at 10:23 AM. Reason: Added paralleled results.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 03:24 PM
One cell short of a Pack
Good ole Smithsburg, MD
Joined Mar 2007
1,866 Posts
Wow Charles, you got a nice one. Mine is about .07 -.10 volts off - not enough to worry about during flight.

Cheers,
Steve
steve1814 is online now Find More Posts by steve1814
Old Feb 23, 2010, 03:40 PM
AMA 670207
Joined Oct 2000
2,774 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer View Post
Quanum ----3.33 3.32 3.33 3.35 // 3.86 3.85 3.86 3.88 // 3.80 3.80 3.80
Power Lab 8 3.35 3.32 3.33 3.35 // 3.85 3.85 3.85 3.85 // 3.80 3.80 3.80

Looks darn close to me.

My FMA Cellpro PowerLab8 is one of the mostly hand assembled and in-house calibrated beta units and I have compared it to other know standards and it is extremely accurate IMO.

Charles
Charles,

Thank you for the info. I hope my new one is as good. I'll be checking the rates on my Cellpro 10S. Love that charger!

BTW, Shipped the unit back to HK and shipping was 12.48 from Seattle.

Perry
Old Feb 23, 2010, 10:44 PM
Watts Up?
USA, TX, Arlington
Joined Jun 2006
1,634 Posts
I LOVE THIS THING FOR $70! I will buy spares LOL!
Got mine on top of my JR9303, not a single problem. $70 for no more deadsticks is a very cheap price to pay. I have it in my extreme flight 58 inch extra 300. This gives me info on how much I have left. Sometimes I fly it for 5 or 10 minutes depending on what style I feel like. So this takes all my worries away
I fly alot of EDF so I feel it's a must for this. Alot of people say they like timer better. My last crash was a deadstick on my A-10. It turns out that one of the cell has died. So instead of 5 minutes it was about 3 mins

So save your investment and have more fun Good Luck

Danny
jet-ster is offline Find More Posts by jet-ster
Old Feb 24, 2010, 10:55 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,554 Posts
Made up my parallel charger / Quanum adapters and updated post

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...1&postcount=56
with results. I am a very happy camper.

Charles