New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 11, 2013, 03:19 PM
Find More Posts by freechip
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
26,485 Posts
Like I said, this is not a problem for me. There in the case exactly how I want them to be and that works for me.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 11, 2013, 04:55 PM
Find More Posts by richard hanson
United States, UT, Salt Lake City
Joined Oct 2007
8,498 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRuggiero View Post
I notice that some of the pictures show the transmitters placed in the cases with the bottom toward the case handle and the antenna toward the case hinges. If the transmitter is not properly cushioned, it's possible for the case to get jostled when it's standing on the ground, hinged side down, so that the TX antenna breaks. I put my TXes in the case with the antenna positioned toward the case handle. That way, when the case is standing on the ground or the floor, the TXes are standing on their bases inside.

Jim R.
These lightweight boxes do a good job of protecting and I can carry em with one finger - This one houses a DX18 which sets upright and has lots of foam all around
richard hanson is online now Find More Posts by richard hanson
Old Dec 24, 2014, 12:35 AM
Find More Posts by go_hercules
Joined Nov 2014
177 Posts
Okay, I thought I understood this until I actually got around to trying it. I have a DX8 that I am going to use with a nitro powered airplane. On my old Futaba radios I just set up so that trim all the way down completely closed the carb and killed the engine. When starting I would slide the trim up to about where it needed to be and started it up. Then fine adjustments with the trim slider. Now with the DX8 and the trim clickers, this isn't practical. So if I use throttle cut, is this the correct way? And if so, exactly how do I set this up as far as trims, servo travel, fine trimming, etc. Thanks a lot.
go_hercules is offline Find More Posts by go_hercules
Old Dec 24, 2014, 07:49 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
26,485 Posts
You adjust carb/link so low throttle stick position idles motor and set throttle cut to go below low position to stall the engine.
Old Dec 24, 2014, 01:55 PM
Find More Posts by aerocal
Central California
Joined Dec 2006
3,187 Posts
In a little more detail. I set up carb linkage as close as I can to 100-100 travel by eyeball. Adjust high end Travel so carb opens fully without jamming/overtravel.
Leave Thr trim centered and Setup TCut to be slightly higher than what idle would be. Do this by observing Monitor and match the Thr value with Cut On.Leave Cut Off,
secure model and start motor then adjust idle with Travel. Flip the Cut On and crank in the value until motor dies.
You could set the Cut beforehand. Note that by default it is at -130%.You just need to be careful that -130 isnt too much and it jams the linkage. Especially if you have you move the travel back from 100 much on the low end.
aerocal is offline Find More Posts by aerocal
Old Dec 24, 2014, 11:44 PM
Joined Nov 2014
177 Posts
Thanks for the throttle setup info. Just thought of another question. On the DX8 you can supposedly set up the timer to start when the throttle is advanced OR with the flip of a switch. Can you do it one way with one model and the other way with a second model, or is it just one setup period? I would like to have it trigger on throttle for electric models, and trigger on switch for nitro models. Thanks.
Old Dec 25, 2014, 01:27 AM
Find More Posts by jj604
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
7,907 Posts
Timer Setup screen is per model so you can have a different trigger for every model.
Quote:
Originally Posted by go_hercules View Post
Thanks for the throttle setup info. Just thought of another question. On the DX8 you can supposedly set up the timer to start when the throttle is advanced OR with the flip of a switch. Can you do it one way with one model and the other way with a second model, or is it just one setup period? I would like to have it trigger on throttle for electric models, and trigger on switch for nitro models. Thanks.
jj604 is offline Find More Posts by jj604
Old Dec 26, 2014, 11:21 PM
Joined Nov 2014
177 Posts
Servo Travel

On the DX8, I see you can set servo travel by percentage. So far so good. But let's say I put 50% in each direction - what does that do to dual rates? If I put in 50% low rate, does that mean 50% of 50%? Instead of putting in servo travel limits, would it be better to just set a low rate? Pros and cons on this anyone? Thanks.
Old Dec 27, 2014, 07:40 AM
Joined Oct 2007
8,498 Posts
The issue is resolution
Let's say that full side to side stick travel is 2000 "steps".
You cut that in half -you get obviously , 1000 total
then cut that in half = 500 steps OR1/4 the possible resolution andworse yet the servo puts out about 1/4 the total force it can by only rotating a short distance .
Best bet--
set tx at 125% throw and change linkages to give desired maximum control surface travel at THAT setting
It takes a bit of trial n error.
now- setup lower throws in dual rate screen- say 60%
if you find this is too much throw for any use -- reduce linkage setup -not the tx setting
Ideally---------- the setting you use for most flying ------ will use much of the available servo rotation.
this gives max power to the control surface-better centering - and less work/heat for the servo
win win win setup
Old Dec 27, 2014, 10:10 AM
Joined Nov 2014
177 Posts
Thanks for that explanation. I will definitely go in and reset things mechanically in that case. The 125% thing still confuses me. If 125% is possible, then why didn't they just make that the 100% point? Likewise, why would a person not use 125% all the time and make the adjustments like you mentioned?
Old Dec 27, 2014, 10:29 AM
Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
29,141 Posts
In part, because of history (tradition). Having continuity of definition and specification is important. Remember, this definition of 100% was established over 40 years ago. It has to do with ratings, too. And specsmanship.

Ever wonder how they managed to throttle the Shuttle engines to as much as 109%?

Or why the speedometer in car goes way higher than you could ever hope to hit with it, unless it's falling out of an airplane?

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 27, 2014, 10:35 AM
Joined Oct 2007
8,498 Posts
actually -if you look at servo travel 150% is possible
100% works well with most servos and setups NOT ALL tho !
I use as much servo travel as servos /linkages permit -depends on setup and if mixes are involved it is possible to setup an "over travel" which stalls servo.
servo torque is constant but the arm length establishes force going to surface--
the amount the servo moves -relative to the amount the surface moves -- determines applied force on the surface
EXAMPLE: servo has arm one inch long and a rating of 50 inch ounces
IF the elevator horn is effectively one inch long - the ratio can be one to one ( 50 ounces of applied force (a bit over three pounds push/pull) at the elevator
But - if we make servo arm two inches long -the force is cut in half . tho movement doubles.
it's all about ratios
EXAMPLE: change the servo arm to 1/2" and the force will double but distance the elevator will move is reduced by 1/2
It is Basic geometry.
Old Dec 28, 2014, 10:15 AM
Joined Nov 2014
177 Posts
Left and Right Trimmers

While messing around with the throttle cut stuff, I started wondering what in the world left and right trimmer switches do. Are they just on/off switches, or do they actually trim something, are they assigned already to the receiver outputs, or what. I have no idea what they are.
Old Dec 28, 2014, 10:17 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
26,485 Posts
They are extra trimmers you can use for various things but by default are not assign to anything.
Old Dec 28, 2014, 10:28 AM
Joined Nov 2014
177 Posts
But what do they do as far as switching, trimming, momentary, etc. I don't even know what they do much less what to use them for. Any examples of what they can be used for?