Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 13, 2010, 07:00 PM
USA
Joined Sep 2003
967 Posts
[QUOTE=Spackles94;14343137]So... you'd rather it look pretty than perform well? That would mean that function would follow form.

Not sure if form defines function. It can be ugly as sin yet be accurate, easy to setup and have a gazillion functions... or it can be gorgeous yet not even have expo settings.

Ahhh... I love semantics.

You may "LOVE SEMANTICS" but you are not very good at it.

Show me where I said or even IMPLIED that which I have highlighted in your quote.
If you flew Precision you would know that resolution, speed and repeatability are mandatory for success.
onewasp is offline Find More Posts by onewasp
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 13, 2010, 07:22 PM
USA
Joined Sep 2003
967 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral14 View Post
I don't know if the reports I've heard are correct but this radio is supposedly only going to be available in Europe.

Tim
Tim,

Odds have it that the DX8 IS due on these shores with the possibility of some minor changes, though, I do not even expect that this time.
When?
Probably at or slightly before before the Toledo show..

The 10T is NOT a good bet for the US market. At least at this time.
With the TRAY design as pictured I would doubt that it will ever be on Horizon's list for the USA.

There are a number of other factors in play on the 9 channel or above front for the USA.
onewasp is offline Find More Posts by onewasp
Old Feb 13, 2010, 08:06 PM
War Eagle!
Birmingham, Alabama
Joined Feb 2007
7,876 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewasp
So... you'd rather it look pretty than perform well? That would mean that function would follow form.

Not sure if form defines function. It can be ugly as sin yet be accurate, easy to setup and have a gazillion functions... or it can be gorgeous yet not even have expo settings.

Ahhh... I love semantics.

You may "LOVE SEMANTICS" but you are not very good at it.

Show me where I said or even IMPLIED that which I have highlighted in your quote.
If you flew Precision you would know that resolution, speed and repeatability are mandatory for success.
That's exactly what I'm saying. We both agree. We both want resolution, speed and reliability much more than we want a pretty packaging.

Function (performance) comes first. Form (how it looks) comes second. Function leads, form follows. ----> Form follows function.
Spackles94 is offline Find More Posts by Spackles94
Old Feb 13, 2010, 08:28 PM
Full throttle and supersonic!
USA, VA, Richmond
Joined Aug 2009
935 Posts
One of the functions is apparently an ability to see the flight battery/receiver voltage on the transmitter! Is this a common feature and I'm a newb or is this a brand new feature?

Tim
Admiral14 is offline Find More Posts by Admiral14
Old Feb 13, 2010, 08:35 PM
War Eagle!
Birmingham, Alabama
Joined Feb 2007
7,876 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral14 View Post
One of the functions is apparently an ability to see the flight battery/receiver voltage on the transmitter! Is this a common feature and I'm a newb or is this a brand new feature?

Tim
It's pretty new. Until now, it was only a feature mainly seen in FPV systems and such. I think Hitec's new 2.4GHz system has it, too.
Old Feb 13, 2010, 10:50 PM
Up Up and Away!
Joined May 2008
1,922 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pda4you View Post
Source? - they were not giving the price on RR.
I got it off of a website, forgot which one, it was in euros so I Converted it to USA dollar
lightspeeddud is offline Find More Posts by lightspeeddud
Old Feb 14, 2010, 12:17 PM
Rockford, IL
Joined Oct 2003
969 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spackles94 View Post
A lot of people said the DX6i was ugly. But it sure is a comfortable -- and reliable -- radio...
It may be reliable but it is still ugly. Plus it is the most uncomfortable radio I ever tried. It is WAY to light and thin. I have large hands and it just doesn't work for me. I received one with a plane I bought and thought it would become a backup transmitter but after I tried it I gave it to a friend. He didn't like it either so he bought a DX7 and gave the DX6i away.

Tom Moody
Tom Moody is offline Find More Posts by Tom Moody
Old Feb 14, 2010, 06:08 PM
Joined Aug 2009
1,530 Posts
i think a lot of us buys radio cause they look good. this is a hobby.
the DX8 features aren't bad. the price isnt cheap, nor it is expensive. thus its not bad.
but it looks like ass. big error. a good looking dx8 and every owner of a DX7 would replace it.. but with that DX8.. can get my DX7 off my dead cold fingers :P

the DX10T tray looks a bit fragile/cheap to me but otherwise it looks fine (oh and its tray, but that's ok, i'm european, i've a DX7 and MC16/20 which is tray and i don't mind lol). For the record, the 11X looks like ass :P

btw: no one else finds that the sticks on most radio sucks? the DX10T sticks might be ok, but the DX8 ones are standard.. and they sucks! I replaced mine on the DX7 and the feel is a lot better with bigger/better quality sticks. And the best part : sticks are cheap. So why don't they just put nice ones from factory..
jimbob00 is offline Find More Posts by jimbob00
Old Feb 14, 2010, 07:08 PM
Joined Dec 2005
5,412 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbob00 View Post

the DX10T tray looks a bit fragile/cheap to me but otherwise it looks fine (oh and its tray, but that's ok, i'm european, i've a DX7 and MC16/20 which is tray and i don't mind lol). For the record, the 11X looks like ass :P
I am probably one of the few Amercans that loves trays. One of the reasons I stayed with my EVO 12 and added the 12 channel Spektrum module to it was to be able to use my Multiplex tray.
Obake is offline Find More Posts by Obake
Old Feb 14, 2010, 07:21 PM
Time to Play the Game
moving to maine
Joined Dec 2009
239 Posts
is that a thumb wheel i see on the right?

i did a search for a dx8 by spektrum and look what it is:
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...0-450-8775.jpg

Name: spekt.jpg
Views: 971
Size: 32.5 KB
Description: i did a search:  dx8 by spektrum
neilg. is offline Find More Posts by neilg.
Last edited by neilg.; Feb 14, 2010 at 07:26 PM.
Old Feb 14, 2010, 07:28 PM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,473 Posts
Ummm that is a JR radio not the DX8.
pda4you is offline Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 20, 2010, 01:43 PM
Figure 9 Expert
USA
Joined Feb 2007
665 Posts
This could be nice. the only thing my DX7 is missing is a 5th (or 6th) analogue channel. it would be nice to have the ability for fully proportional flaps. If they would just replace one of the digital inputs with an analog input then that would be golden. Than and some more powerful programing mixes and i'd be happy.

Also i agree on the Case- butt ugly. throwing it in the old DX7 case would be a major inprovement
Chompers is offline Find More Posts by Chompers
Old Feb 20, 2010, 04:25 PM
United States, NJ, Mt Holly
Joined Mar 2009
174 Posts
I'll tell you what. I love my DX6i (and the thumbwheel) and I can't stand the DX7 menu navigation or the extra heft. I 'm glad that it appears to be similar and I think that I'll be ordering one the moment I can get it.
Sea Monkey is offline Find More Posts by Sea Monkey
Old Feb 20, 2010, 04:40 PM
War Eagle!
Birmingham, Alabama
Joined Feb 2007
7,876 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Monkey View Post
I'll tell you what. I love my DX6i (and the thumbwheel) and I can't stand the DX7 menu navigation or the extra heft. I 'm glad that it appears to be similar and I think that I'll be ordering one the moment I can get it.
I, for one, also prefer the thumbwheel. Maybe I'm one of those "iPod generation" kinds of people. When I upgraded from my DX6i to my DX7se, I found myself missing the navigation setup for the 6i. The 7se one is not terrible by any means, but I like the other one better.
Old Feb 20, 2010, 08:27 PM
Joined Aug 2009
1,530 Posts
the programming of the dx6i is better, no doubt (as in easier/quicker to deal with)
but then again.. dx8 looks.. eeeeeh lol. i prefer my dx7 "not as good" programming and look xD
jimbob00 is offline Find More Posts by jimbob00