SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 11, 2010, 09:58 PM
apprentice shipwright
Little Rock, AR
Joined Sep 2005
112 Posts
Question
Bending brass K&S tubes

I'm in need of some expert advice on bending brass tubes . Diameters about 1/8" - 3/8". Bend radius I'm trying to achieve is about 2x to 3x tube diameter. Tried filling tubes with salt etc, tried heating them, but so far no luck getting decent bends.
I'm sure someone out there has this down to a science and is willing to share their knowledge.

Thanks in advance.
John Pilot is offline Find More Posts by John Pilot
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 11, 2010, 10:06 PM
Nickel Belter
Northern Ontario
Joined Jun 2009
865 Posts
I saw on TV that trombone and trumpet makers put a soap and water solution in brass tubes and freeze them solid before bending. The soap keeps the ice from shattering.
ZZ56 is offline Find More Posts by ZZ56
Old Feb 11, 2010, 10:11 PM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,316 Posts
I got one of these, works good.
Dubro 1/8" Tubing Bender

http://cgi.ebay.com/Dubro-1-8-Tubing...item27ae8e6114
MILLERTIME is offline Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old Feb 11, 2010, 11:03 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,575 Posts
You must anneal the brass tube first. Then pack it with salt, not loose but packed. Then crimp the ends so it cannot escape. Now, using a tube bending mandrel, make your bends. 2x and 3x tube diameter is an extremely tight radius. The Dubro benders cannot go that tight. A mandrel like the Higley is better for tight radii.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...P?I=LXL781&P=8
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Feb 12, 2010, 07:20 AM
"day ain't over yet-"
Western N.Y. winemaking country
Joined Jun 2005
9,759 Posts
And again- I've mentioned this before, K&S makes malleable tubing that will work well for motor casings. I don't know about the small diameters that John Pilot is shooting for, but I'd have to say LOL---.
der kapitan is offline Find More Posts by der kapitan
Old Feb 12, 2010, 10:49 AM
Joined Nov 2005
198 Posts
Dowel Works

John, I used a wooden dowel with a 1/8" groove filed into it. It makes clean radius without crimping, bending, or collapsing the K&S tubing. My son-in-law (professional mechanic and not a model builder) "invented" the device when I whined about the trouble I was having. A picture is on page 6 of my build thread titled "F-31 Trojan Modification". After the grooved dowel solved the collapse/crimp problems, I had trouble getting the correct lengths for the multiple bends, so I added a Rube Goldberg guide for making a square structure with 90 degree bends. Hope this will help you.
Cold Duck is offline Find More Posts by Cold Duck