SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by ODUsurfer, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 11, 2010, 09:29 PM
Fly it like you stole it!
United States, VA, Purcellville
Joined Aug 2009
746 Posts
Build Log
Ultrafly Furious!

What a great plane! But let me tell you, it took some work to get this thing flying right.

Intro
I spent quite a bit of time with faster foamies, like GWS warbirds, and the GWS Formosa. But quite honestly I missed having a lazy, slow flying biplane. But I definitely wanted acrobatic capability. So that's how I came to the decision of wanting a light 3D-ish acrobatic bi-plane.

That said, I narrowed my search down to a couple different planes: GWS Tiger Moth 400 (modified with 4 moving ailerons), the Ultrafly Furious, and the Great Planes "RC Universe" Flat Out Biplane. Ultimately the Tiger Moth was eliminated because I wanted something I could use my (6) 2-cell 1000 mA batteries with, and the RC Universe Flatout was eliminated because of horror stories about how fragile it was, and the strong recommendation of the Furious from a guy I trust from my local hobby store. Easy enough!

It should be known that the Ultrafly Furious has a sister plane, the Ultrafly Outrage. They have minor design differences, and supposedly the Furious has slightly larger control surfaces. But from what I understand from those that have flown both, they are basically the same plane, only the Furious is red, and the Outrage is Yellow.

The Furious is marketted as an "Advanced Parkflyer" and a "Beginner 3D plane", and it fits that perfectly. If you are looking to make the transition into 3D with an easy flying plane, this one might do it for you.

Building
Right out of the box, I made several modifications that I highly recommend. First off, I put the aileron servo on the bottom of the plane, not buried in the wing spar. This makes the servo easier to replace, and increases the plane's appearance overall. With the long landing gears, there's plenty of room to do so as well:

The other major change I did was the C/G. DO NOT fly this plane at the recommended 80-85 mm C/G and expect it to fly easily. It won't! In fact it wants to 3D on you immediately at that C/G. After moving mine around a bunch, I recommend starting this plane at a C/G of 55 mm from the front of the wing. It flies perfectly stable, and will easily allow you to slowly adjust it back as you decide to fly more and more 3D.

The last change I did was after several flights when I creased the lower wing from doing high-G loops. DO NOT skimp out on the carbon fiber reinforcement for this plane. The kit comes with two large sticks of carbon fiber, but I recommend buying at least 1 more stick! It needs it!

I'm using a GWS 9050 prop on a BL-2208/14 outrunner on my Furious, with a 1000 mAh 2cell Lipos, and it has pure vertical climb capabilities, easy. I read about several guys building them with 3-cell Lipos, but I only recommend this if you can keep the weight down. This plane loves to float, and 2-cells are plenty to make it fly great.

Flying
Weather its doing insane acrobatics, flipping nose-up for some 3D action, or just drifting by at 5 mph and doing soft touch-and-go's, this plane is by far my favorite one to fly on calm days. I absolutely love this plane.

My only complaint about it is it doesn't fly well in wind... -Common among biplanes. With it's huge control surfaces you stay in control just fine, but the plane is so light, you end up facing with it's nose in the wind 90% of the time unfortunately. It does quite a bit better when I throw a heavier 3-cell battery in it, so if anyone insists on flying it in the wind... try it with a heavier battery.

Good luck!
ODUsurfer is offline Find More Posts by ODUsurfer
to remove ads between posts