SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 11, 2010, 03:06 PM
fox-2
South Africa
Joined Feb 2010
10 Posts
Discussion
Help connecting battery to esc to motor

HI, fellow rc flyers, i'm a newbie. to electric flying and building my first foamie. p51 d Mustang (what else...). i have a eflight Park 480 Brushless outrunner motor 910 Kv, an Emax esc-35A and a Eflight 2100mAh Li.Po battery.
Problem: please advise how to connect them all up so that they may eventually work in harmony. what confuses me is, there are 3 x wires from the motor colours black blue and red. on the Emax Esc. there are 5 wires and a a small plug with 4thin wires. on one side of the ESC are 3 blue coloured wires and on the other end a red and black + the small plug with thin wires. (no problem to connect that side )
Question how does one connect the 3 blue coloured wires on the ESC to the Black, blue and red wires on the outrunner motor without knowing which colour wire on the motor connects to which blue wire on the ESC of the three there.
Kind of silly to put all three wires out as blue.. or am i missing some thing here.

have search the net for answers but nada.. so i apeal to you please help me understand .

ps there are no explanation on the user instruction page supplied with the ESC only a diagram. with no clear instruction what goes where between motor and ESC.
Fox-2 is offline Find More Posts by Fox-2
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 11, 2010, 03:53 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,614 Posts
The reason why your motor wires are colored that way is so they match up with e-flites ESC as this is a E-flite motor.

But in brushless it does not matter what color goes with what so thats why your ESC are all blue and some are all black and other color codes simply to match with their own brand motors.

With brushless ESC and motor simply plug all 3 wires in any order and carefully test the motor and see if it spin in the correct direction you need it to.

If it does not spin in the direction you want then you simply swap 2 of the 3 wires and ONLY 2.

On the other side of the ESC the RED & BLACK wire are of course the main battery leads that you need to solder the male end of the connectors you are using on your batterys.

The other small 3wire lead is the ESC lead you need to plug into the throttle channel of your RX.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Feb 11, 2010, 03:57 PM
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined Oct 2004
5,965 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox-2 View Post
Question how does one connect the 3 blue coloured wires on the ESC to the Black, blue and red wires on the outrunner motor without knowing which colour wire on the motor connects to which blue wire on the ESC of the three there.
Doesn't matter. Just connect the three blue wires to the three motor wires. If the motor rotates in the wrong direction, just switch any two motor to ESC wires.

Bill
ebill3 is offline Find More Posts by ebill3
Old Feb 14, 2010, 06:56 AM
fox-2
South Africa
Joined Feb 2010
10 Posts
Help connecting battery to esc to motor

Ok Guys, Many thanks for the responses, everything done as you suggested connecting the O/R. motor to the ESC and the battery. Some more help needed, once more please.

1. How is the receiver connected to the Li Po battery for supply? do i need a UBEC in between, as i read from another thread. The battery is a E-Flight 2100mA/h (3 cell.) and the receiver is a JR - RS77S. i have read up what a ubec is for. i guess i just need confirmation that i'm on the right track

2. I connected the motor to the ESC. and plugged the Battery in and the ESC beeped continuously, (more then 20 times).I disconnected the battery, for fear of damaging anything. The little plug from the ESC was plugged into the trottle position on the receiver only.

Thankyou for you advice
Fox-2
Old Feb 14, 2010, 10:13 AM
Staffs, UK
Joined Nov 2003
10,772 Posts
1. Your EMax ESC should have an internal BEC which supplies power to the receiver and servos. You don't need a UBEC as well.

2. The connections sound o.k. The most likely problems are:
- transmitter not switched on
- throttle not at zero
- throttle needs to be reversed (usually that's for Futaba transmitters)
- battery not fully charged

Steve
slipstick is offline Find More Posts by slipstick
Old Feb 14, 2010, 11:53 AM
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined Oct 2004
5,965 Posts
One more thing to check---

The connector from the ESC to the throttle channel of the receiver could be reversed - plugged in backwards.
ebill3 is offline Find More Posts by ebill3
Old Feb 15, 2010, 07:03 AM
fox-2
South Africa
Joined Feb 2010
10 Posts
Once again thanks for your advice. will have to tend to the problem once back on dry land. I,m currently at sea and will return to sort out the problem. ..for now cant wait to get that mustang in the air. Well, i guess one month is not too far to go. cheers till then, will keep browsing this forum on occasions.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 08:24 AM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
17,221 Posts
Here is a diagram of it all hooked up with an external BEC in use also:

http://www.castlecreations.com/produ...ec_wiring.html

The UBEC is normally used when you are using 4S or higher cell counts. And when you use the UBEC (marked as the BEC in the diagram above) it is normal to disconnect the red power lead from the ESC's BEC power and throttle signal lead so that there is only one 5V power source at the receiver.

The reason for using a UBEC with 4S and higher is that many ESCs have a linear power supply for their BEC output voltage and that turns the excess voltage into heat. The higher the battery voltage the more heat it generates and having more than a 3S (12.6V) input voltage can generate more heat than the ESC can handle.

Some newer ESCs have switching power supplies for the BEC output (and most UBECs also have switching power supplies) and those will handle the extra voltage without generating excess heat.

You would normally put the BEC voltage into the receiver on the throttle channel along with the throttle signal. The three wires in the BEC connector are ground, +5V, signal and the +5V is on the red center wire.

If you use the UBEC the throttle signal needs to still be supplied and the ground connected but the red (+5V) lead is normally removed from the connector.

The UBEC can be connected to the BATT channel if there is one, any unused channel, or to a "Y" cable on any channel because the 5V buss is common to all channels.

Jack
jackerbes is offline Find More Posts by jackerbes