HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 20, 2003, 09:50 PM
Speed cost money.
United States, FL, Marathon
Joined Dec 2002
3,045 Posts
Full Contact E-combat

Hi all,

I have been quite a bit of this lately and wondering what tricks everybody else is using.

1st what motors do you use. I started with 16/15/4 but broke a few shafts and have now converted to Mega 22/10/5 which does not perform as well but it has not yet broken.

2nd What plane do you use I use a WW raider

3rd What have you done to fix problem items My list is as follows in order of most frequent failure

A) Battery ejecting on impact. Full velco on bottom, cut deep into wing. and extra velco straps x2 around top of battery. This has fixed almost 100% of these ejections

B) Motor breaking shaft.. See above

C) BEC cutting out do to Prop contact in flight. Simple cut throttle until I get plane orentation after impact. This allows for BEC to reset.

D) Control Rods tearing out. NO solution yet. I am considering mounting rods into wing. But I am conserned about repairs if one does get damage.

Highflier
highflier is offline Find More Posts by highflier
to remove ads between posts
Old May 20, 2003, 10:32 PM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
Zagi. Zagi zagi zagi..
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old May 21, 2003, 05:17 PM
Speed cost money.
Joined Dec 2002
3,045 Posts
Zagi???

I had a Zagi. (400x)

Not as fast

Not as Arobatic

Not as durable

It was easier to fly (was becuase it is mostly dead now.)

Don't get me wrong it is a great plane to learn on and even an okm plane to try combat but it will not hold up the same as the WW raider

Highflier
Old May 21, 2003, 07:49 PM
Singapore
Joined Aug 2002
758 Posts
Haven't done full contact R/C combat but have some experience FAI combat on control line ( now thats a rush ). I present you with a totally naive solution. Get a smaller plane than your opponent with a fast motor. In real plane combat you can fight the maneuvering fight or you can fight the energy battle. Since you are in contact combat and you dont have the 20mm Vulcan out front I suggest that the energy fight is the way to go. With a smaller plane you can outclimb him, accelerate out of his way, you present him with a smaller target and smaller planes hold together better.

If I'm all wet, just ignore me.

Shane
shaneyee is offline Find More Posts by shaneyee
Old May 21, 2003, 08:12 PM
Speed cost money.
Joined Dec 2002
3,045 Posts
Shane,

Combat Rules are as follows.

1) planes must be in combat zone
2) Planes must be capable of loop or roll
3) planes must make contact.. (mid air crash)
4) to score one plane must crash as result of midair.. other plane must continue to fly and do a roll or loop. (score = 1 point)
5) Person with the most points at end of day wins

Obviously you have not tried or seen this yet. You should try it it is a blast. In a good after noon I will have about 15 midair contacts about 10 are solid headon collisions. I will score anywhere from 2-7 points in a day.

Repair cost last week was $7.00 for an 8 hours day.
About 5 hours in sky...

Props * 3 $6.00
tape etc.. $1.00

I have a video on my site of combat flight. No contacts in it though. I need to get a tripod and just record the zone for a hour or 2 so I can get good midair on tape.

Highflier
Old May 22, 2003, 05:48 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
I didn't say a stock zagi.
- mine had a Jeti 15/3, 8xCP1300, 9x5 prop. Very fast, almost unlimited vertical
- mine was almost completely covered with 2" strapping tape before covering with Monokote
- with wild control throws, they are extremely aerobatic
..a
Old May 22, 2003, 05:59 AM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,588 Posts
It's a bit different from IR or paper streamer combat, in that the stated intention is to actually engineer a full contact mid-air. Would the deliberate staging of mid-air collisions invalidate your insurance cover in the event that someone got hit with one of the bits of model that might fly off? What sort of buffer zone is being used to try to protect pilots and spectators from those ejecting battery packs?
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Old May 22, 2003, 07:35 AM
Singapore
Joined Aug 2002
758 Posts
Highflier "Obviously you have not tried or seen this yet. You should try it it is a blast"

No, I havn't tried it....I 'fessed up up front..Thanks but I'll pass had enough of carnage...FAI combat guys bring 10 planes to each contest. The planes are so fast and the action so intense that it boggles the mind. Maybe when I get bored with trying to fly the pattern ( just a year's experience in R/C ) I'll come back to combat - R/C or C/L. Just thought I'd try to see if my naive approach would be a breath of fresh air...still think that a small fast plane is the ticket ... rolls faster too...

Shane
shaneyee is offline Find More Posts by shaneyee
Old May 22, 2003, 09:47 AM
Speed cost money.
Joined Dec 2002
3,045 Posts
Shane,

I can go to the field with just 1 plane. These planes are almost indestrutable. Our combat group does not require a pattern flight. We just fly free style within a certain zone. Anyways. thanks for the input and When I get a midair on Tape I will post a link in this thread.

Highflier
Old May 22, 2003, 05:54 PM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Brian Cullen
What sort of buffer zone is being used to try to protect pilots and spectators from those ejecting battery packs?
We fly out over a large field, quite some distance away from ourselves (standing on the usual runway) and the crowd (back behind us, usually jeering and laughing, along with us!)..
..a