HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 10, 2010, 07:30 PM
T-28D, Blade MSR, E-MAXX
Austin, Texas
Joined Jan 2010
23 Posts
Discussion
Phoenix Simulator DX6i setup for beginners

I am still new at this hobby, and have a DX6i and Phoenix Simulator. I have been reading as much as I can on the internet about the setup of a DX6i with Phoenix, and for basic flight, it's spot on. What I would like to figure out now...and again, I have searched the internet...is how to setup a model for 3D flight.

I have the basic understanding down of the DX6i controls, but what I can't seem to figure out is how to get one of those nifty switches to throw me into 3d flight...namely the Blade 400.

Can someone help me input the necessary settings (I believe in Phoenix as opposed to the DX6i) so that I can enable 3D flight for a Blade 400?

I know this probably sounds basic to many of you, but despite my efforts, I just can't get it alone. Any help is always appreciated. Just FYI - my DX6i is already setup with it's own model setting for Phoenix, Heli Type, 90 degree Servo. Again, everything works fine for regular flight, just want to try 3D.

Thanks!
kahays77 is offline Find More Posts by kahays77
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 10, 2010, 08:23 PM
Thumbflyer
Manning, AB, Canada
Joined Nov 2009
1,284 Posts
You'll want to program the following settings in your transmitter. Did you get this transmitter with the 400?? if so you can just make a copy on a blank model memory change any reversed channels to normal and the ccmp to 90 and your ready for 3D flight with the flip of the idle up. You don't have to change any settings in phoenix for 3D flight.

Factory throttle curves are:

Norm: L = 0%, 2 = 25.0%, 3 = 50.0%, 4 = 75.0%, H = 100%
Stunt: L = 100%, 2 = 92.5%, 3 = 85.0%, 4 = 92.5%, H = 100%
Hold: 0.0%

Factory pitch curves are:

Norm: L = 35.0%, 2 = 42.5%, 3 = 50.0% (this point looks like 0 degree blade pitch to me) 4 = 75.0%, H = 100.0%

Stunt: L = 0.0%, 2 = 25.0%, 3 = 50.0%, 4 = 75.0%, H = 100.0%

Hold: same values as Norm pitch

Reverse: All Normal

swash type: CCPM 90

Thro Cut: Position - INH

Timer: Down timer - Unecessary

Now for the adjust list (Page 105).

D/R&EXPO: the "0" switch positions for AILE and ELEV are at 90% D/R. All EXPO's are at INH

Travel Adj: RUDD: <90% and >90% (note you have to move the rudder stick left & right to set the separate values).

Gyro: Rate 0: 66.5% Rate 1: 64.0%

Throttle and pitch curves as listed above

Swash Mix: Inhibited due to 90 ccmp

Mix 1: INH

Mix 2: INH

After making changes it won't hurt to recalibrate... let me know if it works. oh and nice T28D and msR
IEATSRT is offline Find More Posts by IEATSRT
Last edited by IEATSRT; Feb 10, 2010 at 08:51 PM.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 08:52 PM
T-28D, Blade MSR, E-MAXX
Austin, Texas
Joined Jan 2010
23 Posts
Thanks!!! I will try these settings shortly. No, I didn't get the DX6i with the 400, I bought the DX6i by itself. I am fixing to buy a Blade 400 and want to get good with it in Phoenix.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 09:01 PM
Thumbflyer
Manning, AB, Canada
Joined Nov 2009
1,284 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kahays77 View Post
Thanks!!! I will try these settings shortly. No, I didn't get the DX6i with the 400, I bought the DX6i by itself. I am fixing to buy a Blade 400 and want to get good with it in Phoenix.
Sounds great! For sure let me know if these work... I may have missed something. Nothing worse than making a suggestion and never hearing back on whether it worked or not.... get that way to often. When you get the 400 here is a link you will come to appreciate. I have had mine for a while now but it is sort of on the back burner as I am more into planes now...

http://www.slyster.com/heli/b400bible.html

Good luck and happy flying
Old Feb 10, 2010, 09:36 PM
T-28D, Blade MSR, E-MAXX
Austin, Texas
Joined Jan 2010
23 Posts
Well, we are getting close!!!! I've programmed the above values, however when I flip the F Mode switch the throttle seems locked in the full position so the Blade 400 just goes straight up in the air?

And thank you by the way, the T-28D is a new addition as of this past Sunday. I like to switch things up and take turns flying planes and heli's. The MSR just wet my appetite. LOL
Old Feb 10, 2010, 10:06 PM
Thumbflyer
Manning, AB, Canada
Joined Nov 2009
1,284 Posts
Quote:
Well, we are getting close!!!! I've programmed the above values, however when I flip the F Mode switch the throttle seems locked in the full position so the Blade 400 just goes straight up in the air?

And thank you by the way, the T-28D is a new addition as of this past Sunday. I like to switch things up and take turns flying planes and heli's. The MSR just wet my appetite. LOL
your welcome. did you change the pitch curve values?? When you flip the switch it will sound full throttle and when your throttle stick is all the way down and your heli is the right way up it will be forcing you to the ground. If your inverted with the stick all the way down then yes... you will shoot up into the sky.There is something still wrong... the stunt pitch curve values I am thinking. I will go check my transmitter and see what I use for phoenix
Last edited by IEATSRT; Feb 10, 2010 at 10:25 PM.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 10:11 PM
Thumbflyer
Manning, AB, Canada
Joined Nov 2009
1,284 Posts
My pitch curve values are exactly as I posted. Double check your stunt pitch curve values for me... has to be the problem
Old Feb 10, 2010, 10:50 PM
T-28D, Blade MSR, E-MAXX
Austin, Texas
Joined Jan 2010
23 Posts
Hmm...just double checked and Stunt pitch is set to:

L: 0.0
2: 25.0
3: 50.0
4: 75.0
5: 100.0

I also went through all the other settings to double check and everything looks identical. One question I had, is under Gyro...should it be set to F.Mode or left Gyro? I tried both for grins but same effect.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 10:56 PM
T-28D, Blade MSR, E-MAXX
Austin, Texas
Joined Jan 2010
23 Posts
Maybe it's a setting in Phoenix? I tried recalibrating after configuring the settings on my controller too...
Old Feb 10, 2010, 11:06 PM
Thumbflyer
Manning, AB, Canada
Joined Nov 2009
1,284 Posts
Quote:
Maybe it's a setting in Phoenix? I tried recalibrating after configuring the settings on my controller too...
My Gyro switch is to Gyro... not F mode. Did you change the Pitch curve hold value? I didn't write it up there just wrote same as Normal. I don't think it is the problem but worth a shot..If you never, changed the Hold value of the pitch curves to the same numbers as the normal value. I am starting to scratch my head here... will work on it some more.

Only other things I can think are check your REVO MIX settings... all mine are set to 0% for both stunt and normal mode. Also D/R Combi switch is INH... perhaps you have a dual rate set up on Gear/Fmode switch that is causing issues... not sure. Might have to get an expert in on this one!
Last edited by IEATSRT; Feb 10, 2010 at 11:12 PM.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 11:20 PM
T-28D, Blade MSR, E-MAXX
Austin, Texas
Joined Jan 2010
23 Posts
I did change the Pitch Curve as well, but all I can tell from that switch is that it turns the "motor" off? I keep running through the settings but all look the same as what you posted. Am I correct in assuming that all I should have to do is flip that F Mode switch to go into 3d mode?
Old Feb 10, 2010, 11:30 PM
T-28D, Blade MSR, E-MAXX
Austin, Texas
Joined Jan 2010
23 Posts
I'm really wondering if it has to do with Phoenix... I was playing around and I inverted the Collective Pitch on the transmitter profile, and now when I flip the F Mode switch it does push down, but the problem that introduced is that under the "regular" mode, my throttle isn't powering up all the way. With F Mode in 0 position, when I raise the throttle, the helicopter starts to go up slightly but doesn't have enough to get off the ground without me moving the stick slightly up/down around mid center. With some patience, I was able to get the heli high enough to hit the F Mode switch and flip the heli over and fly inverted...so that works...I just have to figure out how to get Phoenix to recognize regular flight now...
Old Feb 10, 2010, 11:33 PM
Thumbflyer
Manning, AB, Canada
Joined Nov 2009
1,284 Posts
Quote:
I did change the Pitch Curve as well, but all I can tell from that switch is that it turns the "motor" off? I keep running through the settings but all look the same as what you posted. Am I correct in assuming that all I should have to do is flip that F Mode switch to go into 3d mode?
Yes for sure. sitting on the ground with your stick all the way down and when you flip the switch motor should spool up but you stay on the ground. while in stunt mode as you raise throttle stick above the mid stick point you should start to come off ground as per normal. when high enough... if you use elevator to flip inverted then you will have to move stick to below the mid point in order to produce lift while inverted. this is done by changing the pitch on the blades... and for this reason I am still thinking that there is something wrong in the pitch settings. I just re-checked all my settings and flew mine.... flies great. only other things i can say are to check that your pitch travel adjust is up 100% when throttle stick is full up and down 100% when throttle stick is full down. Also your subtrim pitch should be at 0. Hey I just tried it with my pitch reversed on the reversed menu and took off straight up. IS YOUR PITCH REVERSED IN THE REVERSE MENU?? if so please set it to normal and go fly!! lol
Old Feb 10, 2010, 11:48 PM
T-28D, Blade MSR, E-MAXX
Austin, Texas
Joined Jan 2010
23 Posts
LOL Well, I actually thought about the reverse, and no, they are all set to off. So I've been playing around with the transmitter settings in Phoenix...and I think I now have a cluster f'd version of 3d flight...LOL Now, with F Mode switch set to 0, blade is not spinning till I lift throttle...seems to fly normally. With the F Mode switch set to 1, blade is spinning but no takeoff (with throttle all the way down) however if I push the throttle stick past mid center, I do take off...but the kicker is that I can fly inverted too...hell maybe this is right??!? LOLOL If I flip her inverted with the 3d switch set to 1, and when I move the throttle down, she goes up, and if I move the throttle up she goes down (while inverted). But, I can fly pretty well inverted like this....I just don't want to be learning the wrong way to fly. What I did was go to my controls in Phoenix and invert the Collective Pitch... Lie to me and tell me this is right. LOL
Old Feb 10, 2010, 11:53 PM
T-28D, Blade MSR, E-MAXX
Austin, Texas
Joined Jan 2010
23 Posts
Wait a minute...if I re-read your last post correctly...this DOES sound right!!!?