HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old May 14, 2007, 04:51 PM
End of an Era.....
Hodges Hobbies...well 8 miles from there!!!
Joined Mar 2004
2,858 Posts
still gotta get to the local shack. will get the magnet wire if they got it. What do you use to burn the shellac off with, the iron? Do ya just use 2 wires in parallel and then mount the leds where you want them? The covering is gonna be a little complicated might have to get my good buddy, ole pal, all around good guy Chris S. to do the covering ar at least help me. But I'm gonna give it a go first.
Tha Hodgehound is offline Find More Posts by Tha Hodgehound
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old May 14, 2007, 05:09 PM
End of an Era.....
Joined Mar 2004
2,858 Posts
SSX Nite Stik color scheme

Just been playing around on paint program to see the color scheme I had in my head.....sorry so small, it shows top and bottom of wing and tail feathers.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 14, 2007, 07:36 PM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2006
2,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgehound
still gotta get to the local shack. will get the magnet wire if they got it. What do you use to burn the shellac off with, the iron? Do ya just use 2 wires in parallel and then mount the leds where you want them? The covering is gonna be a little complicated might have to get my good buddy, ole pal, all around good guy Chris S. to do the covering ar at least help me. But I'm gonna give it a go first.
Burn it with a flame from a lighter. After you burn off the shellac, wipe it with acetone or sand it will 400 grit. You can remove the shellac anywhere along the strand and tap into it for your LEDs. After you have a string of LEDs done you can secure it to the inside of the wing with thick CA. brush on a little clear lacquer to keep the exposed copper from corroding. Use the lightest magnet wire you can get.
jkarpy is offline Find More Posts by jkarpy
RCG Plus Member
Old May 15, 2007, 07:11 AM
Procrashtinating Builder
about 12" from my computer in Jacksonville Fl.
Joined May 2004
1,292 Posts
I would have started mine by now, but I'm thinking of building it as another twin like the one below. It will have BP-21's or equivalent with dual speed controllers. Then I use an elevon mixer to give them differntial thrust. By increasing or decreasing the motor speeds individually, I can make it turn on a dime and it makes it easier to taxi. I also add a free spinning tail wheel that tracks which ever way the model taxis instead of the old tail skid.

Once I glue some motor blocks and make some hatches in the wings for the speed control, I'll wire lights and cover.

I like your Idea, Hodgehound- post pics on your progress!

BB
mastrsn is offline Find More Posts by mastrsn
Old May 15, 2007, 02:26 PM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2006
2,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastrsn
I would have started mine by now, but I'm thinking of building it as another twin like the one below. It will have BP-21's or equivalent with dual speed controllers. Then I use an elevon mixer to give them differntial thrust. By increasing or decreasing the motor speeds individually, I can make it turn on a dime and it makes it easier to taxi. I also add a free spinning tail wheel that tracks which ever way the model taxis instead of the old tail skid.

Once I glue some motor blocks and make some hatches in the wings for the speed control, I'll wire lights and cover.

I like your Idea, Hodgehound- post pics on your progress!

BB
This should be cool, post lots of pictures on this build thread please.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 15, 2007, 03:24 PM
End of an Era.....
Joined Mar 2004
2,858 Posts
Will do fellas! Thanks for the tips on the wire j. Pics on the way as soon as I get started!
RCG Plus Member
Old May 15, 2007, 03:54 PM
Procrashtinating Builder
Joined May 2004
1,292 Posts
I wonder how the SSX mod would work on my SS Flying Boat?

BB
Old May 15, 2007, 03:58 PM
Procrashtinating Builder
Joined May 2004
1,292 Posts
...or maybe I should get another wing and make another Double Stick, or maybe a Biplane?

(too much fun )

BB
Old May 15, 2007, 04:59 PM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2006
2,022 Posts
Quote:
I wonder how the SSX mod would work on my SS Flying Boat?

BB
I already have the bip-X in the drawing table Q. I like the flying boat. I know a guy who turned the SSX into a float plane. It worked very well. The SSX wing still has heavy lift capability.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 16, 2007, 03:18 PM
End of an Era.....
Joined Mar 2004
2,858 Posts
BOB...those are just too cool!!!! Nice work!
RCG Plus Member
Old May 16, 2007, 05:45 PM
Procrashtinating Builder
Joined May 2004
1,292 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgehound
BOB...those are just too cool!!!! Nice work!
Ya, me and another guy on the west coast, boomerace, love to 'pervert' Slow Sticks. The SSX mod just gives me another venue to 'pervert' more

( i have a SS jet I haven't posted here yet, I'm not sure how the SSX mod would help it......)

BB
Old May 16, 2007, 05:47 PM
WAA pilot #21
Princeton NJ
Joined Dec 2003
3,166 Posts
Boomerace? never heard of him....
Vanning is offline Find More Posts by Vanning
Old May 16, 2007, 06:07 PM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2006
2,022 Posts
Quote:
Ya, me and another guy on the west coast, boomerace, love to 'pervert' Slow Sticks. The SSX mod just gives me another venue to 'pervert' more

( i have a SS jet I haven't posted here yet, I'm not sure how the SSX mod would help it......)

BB
I just got an Idea what to do with that old Kyosho fan unit left over from my old Shooting Star.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 18, 2007, 12:17 PM
Procrashtinating Builder
Joined May 2004
1,292 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkarpy
I just got an Idea what to do with that old Kyosho fan unit left over from my old Shooting Star.
Slow Sticks make the impossible possible when you try....
Old May 18, 2007, 01:19 PM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2006
2,022 Posts
Quote:
Slow Sticks make the impossible possible when you try....
I can die now, I have seen everything.
RCG Plus Member
Closed Thread