to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 05, 2008, 11:00 PM
Not your average DiggsyBear
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkarpy
I wanted to be able to fly an SSX at Joe Nall so we were working on the new 2X SSX. We did not get it completed in time for this year but I can assure you we will have a presence at Joe Nall next year.

Any updates on this big boy?

Oh, and the SEFF updates kick booty on the site James!

Diggs
Diggs is offline Find More Posts by Diggs
Old Jun 05, 2008, 11:06 PM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2006
2,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diggs
Any updates on this big boy?

Oh, and the SEFF updates kick booty on the site James!

Diggs
I have it covered and am doing the final setup.
jkarpy is offline Find More Posts by jkarpy
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 06, 2008, 02:01 PM
Chicago Northwest subs
Joined Jan 2007
2,240 Posts
Just about!

Quote:
Is this your first plane?

Diggs
Diggs- It's the first r/c balsa build I've done. First Monokote. First brushless. First symmetrical wing. Get it? I've been flying my regular SS for a while and a Cox Corsair, although not too well with the Corsair because I tended to fly it when it was too windy for the SS. I've also got a BCX-2 coaxial heli, and a LOT of micro RTF stuff. At least it teaches you not to freeze up when the aircraft is coming at you. Any sim ideas?
minirips2 is offline Find More Posts by minirips2
Old Jun 06, 2008, 02:05 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by minirips2
Diggs- It's the first r/c balsa build I've done. First Monokote. First brushless. First symmetrical wing. Get it? I've been flying my regular SS for a while and a Cox Corsair, although not too well with the Corsair because I tended to fly it when it was too windy for the SS. I've also got a BCX-2 coaxial heli, and a LOT of micro RTF stuff. At least it teaches you not to freeze up when the aircraft is coming at you. Any sim ideas?
Cool, I was hoping this wasn't going to be your first plane to fly. While it is pretty stable and forgiving, it isn't what I would hand a first timer.

Not really. I can say the Real Flight version of it does very well. Pretty close to the real thing in many ways. I would love to have a version of it for Reflex XTR, which is my personal favorite of the Sims I have owned. I would follow that with phoenix, and Real Flight has never really impressed me, but it does have some nice model support.

Diggs
Old Jun 06, 2008, 10:46 PM
Chicago Northwest subs
Joined Jan 2007
2,240 Posts
Quote:
Cool, I was hoping this wasn't going to be your first plane to fly. While it is pretty stable and forgiving, it isn't what I would hand a first timer.

Not really. I can say the Real Flight version of it does very well. Pretty close to the real thing in many ways. I would love to have a version of it for Reflex XTR, which is my personal favorite of the Sims I have owned. I would follow that with phoenix, and Real Flight has never really impressed me, but it does have some nice model support.

Diggs
I agree with your assessment of RealFlight. My LHS has RealFlight set up on one computer, and FSOne on another, and I preferred FS1. I also have a DX-7 Tx, which I have set up on a wireless link so I can play with dual rates, mixes, etc. I'm wondering what I should shoot for when it comes to control surface throws for the maiden. I will definitely have someone else get it in flight for me. Any SSX pilots near the northwest Chicago suburbs may apply online! It would also be nice to have another builder go over everything before the first flight. I'm proud, but not stupid! My first Slow Stick flight ended poorly due to a warped wing and aft CG. The new gearbox works great!
minirips2 is offline Find More Posts by minirips2
Old Jun 26, 2008, 11:54 AM
It's me Glacier Girl
Joined Aug 2004
868 Posts
Well I ordered mine yesterday. Already the mind's a whirling with ideas.

Looking at the main wing, from what I've seen from the pics, what about a removable night flight insert. Or even two.

Simple piece of lite ply the length of the wing spars or so. LED's connected to it. Would locate in one or both of the cut outs on the spars.

Slide into place for night flights. Wired to an open socket on the rx. Pull the power lead just like running a servo extension. Make the light bar a simple plug in, electrical wise too.

Ooooh, I'm liking the thought of that. Is mine here yet?
SHELBY1 is offline Find More Posts by SHELBY1
Old Jun 26, 2008, 05:15 PM
East Coast Slacker
Berwick, Maine
Joined Oct 2007
183 Posts
Mine should be here soon.
mbragdon is offline Find More Posts by mbragdon
Old Jun 26, 2008, 05:45 PM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2006
2,022 Posts
All SSX orders have shipped

Both shipped today.

Thanks for the support guys!

Mike I guess you are moving from the trainer to the SSX. I would be interested in hearing about your transition.

James
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 26, 2008, 06:06 PM
East Coast Slacker
Berwick, Maine
Joined Oct 2007
183 Posts
Actually, I had a covering mishap on the trainer wing, and while removing the covering I damaged a bunch of ribs , and the right wingtip. So I figured I would get a pre covered ssx wing, and just go for it!!! I can fly the ssx on the sim on low rates without crashing, plus I am at my brushless ss aerobatic limit, with no crashes, and the same prop for quite a while. It's nice to go home with dead batteries instead of a broken plane. I will resurect the trainer at some point, probably on floats.
Old Jun 26, 2008, 06:09 PM
East Coast Slacker
Berwick, Maine
Joined Oct 2007
183 Posts
In hindsight (of course) I tried to get too fancy with my first covering job.

Mike
Old Jun 26, 2008, 06:28 PM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2006
2,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbragdon
Actually, I had a covering mishap on the trainer wing, and while removing the covering I damaged a bunch of ribs , and the right wingtip. So I figured I would get a pre covered ssx wing, and just go for it!!! I can fly the ssx on the sim on low rates without crashing, plus I am at my brushless ss aerobatic limit, with no crashes, and the same prop for quite a while. It's nice to go home with dead batteries instead of a broken plane. I will resurect the trainer at some point, probably on floats.
You should have said something I can send you as many replacement ribs as you need.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 26, 2008, 06:46 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
I did something with my SSX this weekend I had never really done before. I just took it and flew it inches off the ground extremely slow. I found the location on the throttle that would keep the plane flying but would almost stall if you applied too much elevator. I was skimming the wing on the ground during turns, very light touches, and doing little touch and goes. I was amazed how slow and easy it flew. I had flown it slow with some altitude before, but never so low and easy. It was a blast. I put two packs through it doing just that and even chased a deer that was spectating. He ran off, but was back before the pack was discharged. I let him watch the second time. He ran off again when I went to get the plane off the field.

The SSX continues to amaze me! I don't think I will ever get tired of it. You can throw it around in the sky or just do some gentle sport flying! I need to get off my keester and do the SSX Night flyer. That panel idea is interesting, but I am going to cover one in translucent white and just light up the entire wing section. I want to split the top and bottom and use blue or red LEDs in the top so the top and bottom are different colors.

Also, how's the 2X coming along James? I am really excited about this project!!

Diggs
Old Jun 26, 2008, 06:50 PM
East Coast Slacker
Berwick, Maine
Joined Oct 2007
183 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkarpy
You should have said something I can send you as many replacement ribs as you need.
How can I replace them without destroying anything else? No big deal, I wanted an ssx anyway. And I still have the bipe to build, gonna' keep it all one color!!!
Old Jun 28, 2008, 04:21 PM
Rod
Canada, BC, Kelowna
Joined Nov 1999
920 Posts
Vibration

I am experiencing a lot of vibration in my Slow Stick X. I am using a Hyperion 2215/20 (new motor), an APC 10 x 5 E prop balanced), & 3 Lipo cells. I am getting a lot of vibration around 1/2 throttle.
My motor mount (ARF kit), seems to have some play in it and is probably the cause. I mounted the motor mount with a screw through the slot in the top of the motor mount. Should I try epoxing the mount to the fuselage? drill another hole in the end of the mount and screw it to the fuselage? or what .
Has anyone experiencied this problem? and if so what did you do about it.
Rod is offline Find More Posts by Rod
Closed Thread