Closed Thread
Old Apr 01, 2007, 07:51 PM
Pasco County Florida
Joined Dec 2006
1,111 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkarpy
Pallets of Stone !
Yes, and you can take my word that a standard SS cannot move a two ton pallet of stone, regardless of how fast the SS is going.

Bob
Bayward is offline Find More Posts by Bayward
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 09, 2007, 02:38 PM
End of an Era.....
Hodges Hobbies...well 8 miles from there!!!
Joined Mar 2004
2,838 Posts
can hardly wait for seff to get my ssx! Got $$$ tucked away in my wallet just for it! woo hoo!!!
Tha Hodgehound is offline Find More Posts by Tha Hodgehound
Old Apr 09, 2007, 09:32 PM
Hodgehound # 3
Adrian, GA
Joined Mar 2005
4,441 Posts
Well, we spent all day Saturday getting the room ready for my boys to move in. It is only 95% done, but at least I can get my RC stuff out of the corner of the living room.

I started the build of the SSX tonite. Look in my blog for a build log if interested.

James, I will say, I have had a couple of minor difficulties in starting this. However it IS my 1st attempt at building something other than an ARF.
I'll compile a list and give it at the end of the build.....

I know I'll be ready for SEFF now!!!!!
_Lunchbox_ is offline Find More Posts by _Lunchbox_
Old Apr 09, 2007, 10:10 PM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2006
2,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstone
Well, we spent all day Saturday getting the room ready for my boys to move in. It is only 95% done, but at least I can get my RC stuff out of the corner of the living room.

I started the build of the SSX tonite. Look in my blog for a build log if interested.

James, I will say, I have had a couple of minor difficulties in starting this. However it IS my 1st attempt at building something other than an ARF.
I'll compile a list and give it at the end of the build.....

I know I'll be ready for SEFF now!!!!!
Just in case you did not notice, I have some supplemental instruction sheets added at the beginning of this thread. Looks like you figured out the ribs. Step 8 indicates that the end ribs are Parts H1.
jkarpy is offline Find More Posts by jkarpy
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 09, 2007, 10:51 PM
The Young Man
Joined Mar 2005
615 Posts
yeah I think i am going to need one of these!!!!!!!
Excogitate is offline Find More Posts by Excogitate
Old Apr 10, 2007, 05:50 PM
Hodgehound # 3
Adrian, GA
Joined Mar 2005
4,441 Posts
Quote:
Just in case you did not notice, I have some supplemental instruction sheets added at the beginning of this thread. Looks like you figured out the ribs. Step 8 indicates that the end ribs are Parts H1.
I haven't re read the original pages since I first heard of this thread. I'll go back and re read it tonight before I do any more constructing.

I'm so excited, aside from SEFF, this is all I've thought of all day It made it very difficult to concentrate on work...
_Lunchbox_ is offline Find More Posts by _Lunchbox_
Old Apr 18, 2007, 08:47 AM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2006
2,022 Posts
SSX at SEFF

I will have a limited supply of pre-built kits for sale at SEFF. If you bring your Slow Stick parts, motor and radio to SEFF, I will have all the tools to get it ready to fly.
You can also take one of my demo models for a spin. I am using Spectrum so it should be easy to get some stick time.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 18, 2007, 05:44 PM
End of an Era.....
Joined Mar 2004
2,838 Posts
Quote:
I will have a limited supply of pre-built kits for sale at SEFF. If you bring your Slow Stick parts, motor and radio to SEFF, I will have all the tools to get it ready to fly.
You can also take one of my demo models for a spin. I am using Spectrum so it should be easy to get some stick time.

plz hold one for tha hound!!!!! The $$ is burning a hole in my wallets "secret compartment"!
Old Apr 18, 2007, 05:57 PM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2006
2,022 Posts
Don't Try This at Home!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgehound
plz hold one for tha hound!!!!! The $$ is burning a hole in my wallets "secret compartment"!
Pick one!
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 18, 2007, 08:16 PM
End of an Era.....
Joined Mar 2004
2,838 Posts
Kewl man...just what I need for a new, full fledged night flyer! I'll be there waitin' on ya to show up to be sure I get one!!!
Old Apr 18, 2007, 10:50 PM
Fly it like you stole it..
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,301 Posts
Hey guys-

I've recently built one of these up and gave it a lil' touch of my own..

After I covered the wing, I thought - "man, that is a nice looking wing, sure hate to stick a servo in the top of it..."

So, I set out to find a way to make the wing stay purdy..

I mentioned my mod to James and he asked me to post it here..

So the next few posts, I am reserving for the Aileron Servo Mod..

Jeff
www.CommonSenseRC.com
Tram is offline Find More Posts by Tram
Old Apr 18, 2007, 10:51 PM
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,301 Posts
Ok..

Well, I wanted to make sure that if I did this mod, James would be ok with it - and I thought, I might as well make it so that when you get the kit, everything you need is included..

First, what I did was find some suitable wood out of the pile..

Pic 1 - Being a servo mount, it needed to be stiff, but not rock solid.. I wound up with the 1/8" sheet.. I picked the piece as it was nice and solid and with the way the parts had fallen out of it, looked to be about and 1/8" taller than my servo - this is good.. You want to use a piece of wood that will allow your servo mounting ears to sit flush with the top, and have room at the bottom to have a "base plate" for the servo.

Pic 2 - After I picked the wood for the mount, I picked up the servo and laid it out on the chosen wood. Make sure you lay the servo on the wood in a manner that allows both the mounting tabs to have wood underneath them. All you need to do is lay the servo on the wood and mark the length of the servo.

Pic 3 - After doing this, cut out said piece of marked wood..

Pic 4 - Now we need to make some tabs for the servo's mounting ears to attach to. I took the opposite end of the 1/8" sheet I was working with and cut 2 lengths of wood..

Pic 5 - I then took my servo, laid it on the wood from pic 2 and 3 and then took the pieces I just cut from pic 4 and laid them underneath the mounting ears on the servo. Make sure you have a nice flush fit and CA them on..

Pic 6 and 7 - No we need to make the "base plate" I spoke of in Pic 1. Again, using the 1/8" I marked and cut a plate to my desired length..

Pic 8 - Take the freshly cut base plate, butt it up with the previously joined structure and it should look like Pic 8.. CA this down, being careful not to glue your servo to the structure.

Pic 9 - Just a top view of the piece you created in Pic 8.

Pic 10 and 11 - Now we have a basic servo mount.. What we need to do is strengthen it up, this is out aileron servo mount and we don't want it to fail - however, we also don't want to make it too heavy.. I found some thin 1/16" sheet from the kit and basically made 2 external gussets with it. I had previously marked where my servo tabs sat so I used these marks for the gussets.

Pic 12 - After the sheet is glued, trim it down to look like the pics.

Pic 13 - Slide the servo back in, make sure it is a nice snug fit.

Pic 14 - Trim off any excess wood.. I just took my Zona saw and went right down the side of the servo.

Pic 15 - Now you need to drill your holes for your servo screws.

Now you have a nice looking servo mount, which can be CA'd into the airplane..

In the center fuse, you will see the laser etched wood for the aileron servo. I used this as a guide as to where to put my servo..

Pic 16 - Using this as a guide - line the servo up with the laser eteched marks and CA the mount into the INSIDE of the wing..

Voila.. You are done..

Pics 17 and 18 are pictures of the installation..

Now, for those of you who may be worried about the strength, don't be.. My SSX went in today and the servo mount is still intact..

Also, it will look like it is going to rub/bump the elevator/rudder servo's.. I was able to achieve a balance and keep them from rubbing..

If you have any questions - I'll be glad to help..

Jeff
www.CommonSenseRC.com
Old Apr 18, 2007, 10:52 PM
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,301 Posts
yyyy
Old Apr 20, 2007, 08:01 AM
David
Monrovia, AL, USA
Joined Mar 2001
1,253 Posts
What happened Jeff???
dleviner is offline Find More Posts by dleviner
Old Apr 20, 2007, 07:50 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jul 2002
6,362 Posts
Wow

Cool I just found this link I'm hooked again!
tallflyer is offline Find More Posts by tallflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New GoPro Hero3+ Black Edition
Closed Thread