SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Closed Thread
Old Nov 12, 2009, 02:02 PM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2006
2,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mori55 View Post
When are the ARFS coming back ??? Been waiting awhile.
It will be a while, we are trying to avoid burrowing the money to buy them.
jkarpy is offline Find More Posts by jkarpy
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 12, 2009, 02:04 PM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2006
2,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesppp View Post
Is it any problem to mount dual HS 55 aileron servos or similiar under the wing so that it is easier to rubber band the wing on across the top?
Thanks,
Jimmy
You can see trams pictures early in the thread.

James
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 12, 2009, 02:14 PM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2006
2,022 Posts
Quote:
Im wondering what prop to use with this setup

My GWS SS has a TP 2409-10 motor with an 11x4.3 on it. The Scorpion powered SSX has an 10x8 prop on it

I ordered the BP 2212-13, 1000kv motor/mount combo from James with my kit.

All of these are/will be flown with 3S power from 1350-2200mah. Im using a Castle P-25ESC on the SSX. With 4 digital servos I may use a Dimension Sport BEC also but will try not to. I might just use 2 hs-55 on the ailerons and 2 HS 65mg on the tail surfaces. The internal BEC on the ESC should be fine with 4 analog servos ...maybe

Thanks,

Jimmy

I use the APC 10-4.7 Slow Fly prop.

James
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 16, 2009, 07:21 PM
Georgia, USA
Joined Jan 2008
3,770 Posts
Should I trim as much of the clear sheet off of the decal as possible before installing it using the dish soap and water method???
jamesppp is offline Find More Posts by jamesppp
Old Nov 16, 2009, 07:53 PM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2006
2,022 Posts
Quote:
Should I trim as much of the clear sheet off of the decal as possible before installing it using the dish soap and water method???
Yes, I would trim as much as possible.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 16, 2009, 10:40 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Pretty much gave up on those old GWS Narrow Standards as they have been at fault in overheating my Castle Creations (Made for Astro Flight) 10 AMP ESC.

It has really been somewhat elusive to pin point the slight jamming of the GWS narrow standards as they exhibited at times normal but, these servos after countless fights and rudder hanger rashes, it was time for something new and with metal gears!

I ordered these:

http://www.hobbypartz.com/9gexidimeges.html
guapoman2000 is offline Find More Posts by guapoman2000
Old Nov 17, 2009, 08:42 AM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2006
2,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by guapoman2000 View Post
Pretty much gave up on those old GWS Narrow Standards as they have been at fault in overheating my Castle Creations (Made for Astro Flight) 10 AMP ESC.

It has really been somewhat elusive to pin point the slight jamming of the GWS narrow standards as they exhibited at times normal but, these servos after countless fights and rudder hanger rashes, it was time for something new and with metal gears!

I ordered these:

http://www.hobbypartz.com/9gexidimeges.html
Hi Guapoman2000,

Great find, please report back after you have put some time on these servos, I would like to hear how they hold-up.

James
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 17, 2009, 08:43 AM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkarpy View Post
Hi Guapoman2000,

Great find, please report back after you have put some time on these servos, I would like to hear how they hold-up.

James
James,

You betcha!

I flew the model for over 20 minutes and these servos are very smooth and quiet and just can not believe the price!

I plan to order more!

Will keep you posted
Old Nov 18, 2009, 09:41 AM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkarpy View Post
Hi Guapoman2000,

James
James,

I flew the model three days in a row and it has about over 2 hours of flight since I replaced those Rudder/Elevator metal servos and been really rough on them!

I have been flying the model like I stole it and using the newer Thunder Power 3-Cell, Pro-Lite V-2, 1350mAH, 20C, Li-POLY pack and it really puts out!

So far all is well.

Carlos
Old Nov 19, 2009, 08:40 AM
Georgia, USA
Joined Jan 2008
3,770 Posts
I bought red and yellow Ultracote to cover my SSX. I decided that I wanted flourescent red and yellow instead and ordered it on the 10th..USPS Priority. I got a shipping confirmation the next day but when I didnt get the order Monday the 16th I called and was told it had shipped that day because one of the colors of UC was out of stock..Didnt show up yesterday either...

I usually receive priority shipped orders in 2 days if I order before noon...even from Washington State to Georgia...2 days..no hobby shops close to me but the one that is 75 miles away didnt have the flourescent colors.

It is bad to be impatient but I really want to fly this thing this weekend and I havent covered anything in 9 years or so ...I cant really attach any of the parts on the fuse till I get the wing and tail covered and mounted. I enjoy building but never loved covering.

I would buy an ARF SSX in a heartbeat and will when they become available again.

It will be good when it happens I just wanted to vent a little..The vendor I ordered from has a very good rep and I know stuff happens...I have been sharing the one we picked up at hodges heli funfly a few weeks ago too but Im ready to see this one fly

I also want a dedicated float SSX for the spring season.What floats are best and maybe come with a nice rudder like the Great Planes Cub float set I have??? Any suggestions??

Thanks,

Jimmy
Old Nov 19, 2009, 08:50 AM
YardGoat lives with mama
Joined Feb 2007
3,231 Posts
Jimmy - have you checked with Hodges hobbies? Sometimes they have planes that you cant find anymore. Not to mention that some of the locals there might have one they would sell.

asfor floats i used GWS floats connected to two sets of X-landing gear. They worked great
Liquidity is offline Find More Posts by Liquidity
Old Nov 19, 2009, 10:38 AM
Georgia, USA
Joined Jan 2008
3,770 Posts
I bought a built and RTF ARF from Pete(he had 2 in his trailer) the last day of the heli fun fly at Hodges a few weeks ago. I let my buddy have get that one and I bought a kit. Once I get my kit flying I wont mind taking my time on the other project.

Ill look at the GWS floats...Thanks
Old Nov 19, 2009, 03:15 PM
Hodgehound # 3
Adrian, GA
Joined Mar 2005
4,441 Posts
That's funny you mention Pete, I was about to tell you that he had one for sale! I suppose not though....
I have a set of GWS floats with 2 pair X-gear already attached to them. If you want them, I think I can arrange for you to become the posessor of them if you like. There is no water rudder, but you can make one fairly easily...
_Lunchbox_ is offline Find More Posts by _Lunchbox_
Old Nov 19, 2009, 05:50 PM
Georgia, USA
Joined Jan 2008
3,770 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcproptester View Post
That's funny you mention Pete, I was about to tell you that he had one for sale! I suppose not though....
I have a set of GWS floats with 2 pair X-gear already attached to them. If you want them, I think I can arrange for you to become the posessor of them if you like. There is no water rudder, but you can make one fairly easily...

Hook me up..man. Did you use a water rudder with them???

Does GWS make a water rudder. I like the bronze or brass one that comes in the Great Planes float kit..

I almost bought the beautiful blue/purple/red one in the slide shpow on the Millennium web site. It was in the trailer that belongs to Joeys boss. I wish I would have brought it.

My stuff showed up today. The flourecesent red and yellow Ultracote and and a Spek 6110e receiver. I just need to get this thing covered. Im kind of dreading it as it has been a long time since I covered anything

I cant believe Im whining about using heat shrink covering. When I was kid I had to use aliphatic wood glue, silkspan covering and it would take hours for the glue to dry on the assemblies and hours for me to brush a coat of fuel proof butrate dope on the silkspan..I was building control line and powered free flight and rubber powered kits..Never thought Id see ARF much less RTF stuff..Im getting old..
Old Nov 19, 2009, 06:35 PM
Hodgehound # 3
Adrian, GA
Joined Mar 2005
4,441 Posts
I did not use a water rudder with them. The plane steered fine as long as you had some good airflow moving over the rudder. I would have liked to have one for slow speed things also. I will load the floats in my trailer or my truck and bring them to Hodges the next time I come.
_Lunchbox_ is offline Find More Posts by _Lunchbox_
Closed Thread