SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 30, 2013, 12:24 PM
Johannesburg, South Africa
Joined Apr 2006
472 Posts
I have budgeted about 30 to 50 USD for a decent tail servo, I know its a vital component so I don't mind paying here. Maybe I should use those BMS's on the cyclics?

I have ordered the complete tail unit..... http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...y_H60132_.html . I'll get a carbon boom to go with it.

Not really trying to keep it cheap, I want quality parts where necessary for sport / scale flying. I did not want to order the complete kit and end up dumping 3/4's of it in order to have a decent (ie. safe) flybarless setup. At the same time I do not want to spend 600USD on an ALIGN kit designed for all out 3D flying..... if that makes any sense? I mean why buy a full FB rotor head and toss it out for a FBL head. I don't have any heli for it to go on and if you sell it you are going to lose money in any case.
darook is offline Find More Posts by darook
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 30, 2013, 01:09 PM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,989 Posts
Servos

Wow, I think you might be onto something there, and maybe that's why the frame kits sell out so quickly! The tail mech is dirt cheap, so even buying it in parts like that can save some money.

I thought you were going cheap based on the choice of HXT cyclic servos, though maybe they'll work fine with something like a ZYX that only runs them at about 110Hz. The BMS 631's just wouldn't have enough torque, and you also need metal gears on the cyclic servos, though there is a metal gear version of the 631.

You should be able to find a decent tail servo in your budget. The Turnigy 616MG looks quite interesting, since, although it's only "Park" size, it has enough torque and is plenty fast even at 6v. Might need an adaptor to fit the HK 600 tail servo mount, though. The smaller 306G's work great on 450's and match their claimed specs.

Here's an Mi digital servo that's standard size, even faster and with more torque.

The HV version is even faster if you go for an HV setup.

With those kind of tail servos, though, it would be a shame to have the HXT's on cyclic - so you might consider the Turnigy 1257TG which is getting good feedback. It's coreless, too, which is better for folding your blades.....
2Doggs is online now Find More Posts by 2Doggs
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nano Tech 1800mah 4S 25-50c
Old Jun 30, 2013, 01:59 PM
Southwest Florida
Joined Mar 2004
3,257 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Border Lord View Post
Hi All

Anybody used the BMS 631 on cyclic? I am looking at them as replacements for Futaba 148's on one of my models.
However, reading the HK reviews they seem to be current hungry.
Currently (oops) using the internal 3a bec.
Would I need to fit a higher rated one?

Thanks

Borderlord
No,but I have been using a BMS 661 on the tail of my Chaos 600 for about a year and a half and it has been great. Gets a little warm after a 5 minute flight but it's very fast and precise. Jim
Jimbo45cn is offline Find More Posts by Jimbo45cn
Old Jul 01, 2013, 04:16 AM
Joined Apr 2006
472 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Doggs View Post
The DFC mainshafts are used with DFC heads, which are more compact, and therefore can sit lower than a conventional head with swash locker arms. If the VCTRC FBL head is a non-DFC type, you will probably be able to use your existing FB mainshaft, but probably not the DFC one.
I ordered this a week ago, Its supposedly a VCTRC head.... its 3G, so that should mean its DFC compatible?

Oh Well.... if its no good I may just have find alternatives.
Old Jul 01, 2013, 08:51 AM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,989 Posts
It probably needs to use the standard mainshaft. Having the swash locker arms at the bottom of the head results in greater height than a DFC head.

There are still plenty of people who don't like DFC heads, especially on larger models, believing there is an inherent design flaw - any teetering of the feathering spindle in the dampers results in lateral loads and bending of the DFC links.

Whilst the DFC heads undoubtedly give the cleanest look, with the head also set low to the heli, that VCTRC one looks pretty good. The acid test will be if you can get the swash movement you need with the DFC mainshaft, that's really the only thing that matters.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 01, 2013, 09:09 AM
Joined Apr 2006
472 Posts
Got this for the tail...... reviews seem to be ok and quite a few guys using on 600 tails.

Specs:
Voltage: 4.8v / 6v
Speed: 0.05sec / 60deg (4.8v) - 0.04 /60deg (6v)
Torque: 4.50kg.cm (4.8v) - 5.60kg.cm (6v)
Size: 40mm x 20mm x 39.2mm
Weight: 58g
Gear Train: Full Titanium Alloy
Motor: Coreless

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=14829
Old Jul 01, 2013, 11:26 AM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,989 Posts
Nice - so you might upgrade those cyclic servos soon....!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 01, 2013, 12:30 PM
Joined Apr 2006
472 Posts
Have not bought any yet..... was going to go with the HXT's but if you can recommend a decent cyclic in the 10 - 15USD range that would be cool...
Old Jul 01, 2013, 01:08 PM
Mildly Confused
UK
Joined Oct 2008
1,480 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by darook View Post
Have not bought any yet..... was going to go with the HXT's but if you can recommend a decent cyclic in the 10 - 15USD range that would be cool...
Decent cyclic and 10-15 USD should not be used in the same sentence on these larger models, more so when considering a FBL set up. My advice is not to skimp on the electronics on these birds, you will live to regret it. I'm running Hyperion DS20FMD's on my 550 and 600 heli's, whilst not exactly top end servos, they're certainly not bargain bucket either and can be had for reasonable expenditure which will be unlikely to break the bank.
Paul 1968 is online now Find More Posts by Paul 1968
Old Jul 01, 2013, 01:47 PM
Track clear , smoke on !
3 miles from AMA HQ Muncie, IN.
Joined Jan 2009
1,770 Posts
Unless you fly from a bunker in the middle of nowhere with no one or nothing around I wouldn't think about using a $10 - $15 servo on a 500 let alone a 600 size heli.

What do you plan on doing once one or two of those cheap servos break or just quit working and you now have a 52" out of control mower coming at you or someone or something else?

The servos of a R/C heli are by far the most important items of the heli far more important than the motor , ESC , or battery and the higher the quality of servo you install on it the better it will fly.

I don't even use $10 - $15 servos on my pod and boom 450 helis because this are not toys.
cap231ex is offline Find More Posts by cap231ex
Old Jul 01, 2013, 01:54 PM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,989 Posts
Three sample choices

Quote:
I think Paul is right - it's too much to expect good cyclic servos for that little.

If they were to be used on an FB heli, it might be OK. Even when you use digital servos with a regular RX, they are only driven at 60Hz or so.

By contrast, an FBL controller may be able to run them at 200Hz, although some, like the ZYX, run them at 110Hz. Even so, the cheapest digital servos may not be able to run at over 60Hz, and you might have to set the controller to analogue.

The HXT's might work, especially for sport flying, but you could do better for not that much more.

Here are three alternatives in ascending price order.

The $11:79 Turnigy 4409MD specs specifically state it can be used at 1520us and up to 330Hz. Compared with the HXT, it's significantly faster, but still has decent torque. It has metal gears, and is even stocked in the US warehouse if that's a factor for you.

The $16:64 Turnigy 620DMG HS is a rebranded Bluebird servo. They seem to have pretty tough cases and durable servo arms. There's no mention of the driving frequency it can be run at, but the 631 I used on one of my heli tails was OK at 333Hz. Torque and speed are comparable to the 4409. I think some of these Bluebirds can draw quite a few amps, so a decent BEC is a must.

The $18:45 HK15298 is the priciest of the three, though still pretty cheap. I like that it has a coreless motor, and it has significantly more torque than the other two, and of course metal gears and a ball bearing supported output shaft, both of which are essential for an FBL cyclic servo on a 600. It's also an HV servo, so you could run it on a 2s LiPo - though you'd then need a step-down regulator for your Mi Digital tail servo. You could of course run them all at 6v. It's also stocked in the US warehouse.

RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 01, 2013, 02:05 PM
Need More PURPLE !!
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Aug 2012
3,746 Posts
Quote:
These are a good dependable servo for your cyclics at a decent price.

http://www.scaleflying.com/DS1210-01...6V_p_2702.html
Dejavu*Xion is offline Find More Posts by Dejavu*Xion
Old Jul 01, 2013, 03:58 PM
USA, KY, Florence
Joined Aug 2007
3,078 Posts
[QUOTE=2Doggs;25452124]There are still plenty of people who don't like DFC heads, especially on larger models, believing there is an inherent design flaw - any teetering of the feathering spindle in the dampers results in lateral loads and bending of the DFC links.

The exception being Compass- their Delrin links are designed to flex to allow blade flapping. They also break in a crash saving your servos. I would love to get one for my 550 but I am too cheap to buy the best
fpainter3 is offline Find More Posts by fpainter3
Old Jul 01, 2013, 04:17 PM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,716 Posts
+1 on compass heads. I have one on my hk500tt and it has been perfect. I did break one of the grips in a crash but no other damage and i've never had to track blades.

Down side is that they are expensive, and i had to buy a single grip for $36.
kdean is offline Find More Posts by kdean
Old Jul 01, 2013, 05:43 PM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,989 Posts
Sculpture

Not only do the Compass heads feature a proper, durable implementation of DFC, they are also the best looking, pieces of alloy sculpture!

I fear they may be beyond darook's budget, however.
RCG Plus Member