HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 04, 2012, 02:35 PM
Stop scaring my donkey!
Greenland
Joined Mar 2012
7,425 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry__ View Post
Peak detection uses voltage. That's what the 'peak' is, a peak in voltage. Really, manually changing the DX8 is very easy.

But if you are saying you are unable to gauge the amount of time you should charge the DX8 for based on the voltage, then you need to change to another Tx, this one is too advanced for you.
Gerry, you've hit the nail on the head!

Now, if that guy would just stop chasing me I'd get my DX-8 fully charged! (I don't think I really like Florida.)

Everything was so simple when I was a kid: we walked 10 miles to school, in the snow, rain, and mud, and it was uphill both ways.
JohnathanSwift is offline Find More Posts by JohnathanSwift
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 04, 2012, 02:38 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2003
3,272 Posts
It's not quite dead yet!

Monty Python-Bring out your dead! (1 min 55 sec)
topgearuk is offline Find More Posts by topgearuk
Old Apr 04, 2012, 02:41 PM
Stop scaring my donkey!
Greenland
Joined Mar 2012
7,425 Posts
Fetchez la vache!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FJVAcvVcPQ
JohnathanSwift is offline Find More Posts by JohnathanSwift
Old Apr 04, 2012, 02:46 PM
Canada
Joined Aug 2004
848 Posts
Quote:
But if you are saying you are unable to gauge the amount of time you should charge the DX8 for based on the voltage
Well, that is the rub...YOU CAN'T. If the battery indicator reads 4.8v (0.3V) , the battery may be at 80% or 20%. There is no way to know, thus you have no idea how long it will take to fully charge the battery.
grumpy42 is offline Find More Posts by grumpy42
Old Apr 04, 2012, 02:55 PM
Bye Bye VP Aug 2010 - Aug 2012
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
5,919 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy42 View Post
Well, that is the rub...YOU CAN'T. If the battery indicator reads 4.8v, the battery may be at 80% or 20%. There is no way to know, thus you have no idea how long it will take to fully charge the battery.
You don't look at the battery indicator then? In truth the discharge curve isn't as flat as you say it is. The Tx battery indicator uses voltage to gauge capacity and is accurate enough for the user to work out how long to put it on charge.

It really is very simple, but maybe you should change to another brand?
Gerry__ is offline Find More Posts by Gerry__
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Foamie Resurrection
Old Apr 04, 2012, 03:03 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2003
3,272 Posts
It's quiet scary that there are some people on here that have little knowledge of how different chemistry of batteries truly work, but then again they do say a little knowledge can be dangerous!
topgearuk is offline Find More Posts by topgearuk
Old Apr 04, 2012, 03:06 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
5,919 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by topgearuk View Post
It's quiet scary that there are some people on here that have little knowledge of how different chemistry of batteries truly work, but then again they do say a little knowledge can be dangerous!
What these people are saying is that they want to plug in and forget. Better stay away from lipo technology then!
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 04, 2012, 03:08 PM
Canada
Joined Aug 2004
848 Posts
Quote:
You don't look at the battery indicator then? In truth the discharge curve isn't as flat as you say it is. The Tx battery indicator uses voltage to gauge capacity and is accurate enough for the user to work out how long to put it on charge.
Wrong. The battery indicator just tells you the voltage of the battery. It gives virtually no indication of "intermediate" charge state. The NiMH discharge curve is rather flat and it will remain at the same voltage (as displayed on the DX8) for 80% of the time.

You simply cannot tell how long to charge the DX8 base solely on the displayed voltage (unless the battery is either charged or depleted).
Old Apr 04, 2012, 03:14 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
5,919 Posts
Quote:
Wrong. The battery indicator just tells you the voltage of the battery. It gives virtually no indication of "intermediate" charge state. The NiMH discharge curve is rather flat and it will remain at the same voltage (as displayed on the DX8) for 80% of the time.

You simply cannot tell how long to charge the DX8 base solely on the displayed voltage (unless the battery is either charged or depleted).
On my DX8, the voltage and battery indicator goes down with use, it is not a flat curve.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 04, 2012, 03:17 PM
3D Hack
United States, IL, Glen Carbon
Joined Jul 2010
1,860 Posts
Quote:
Now that IS funny!

Quote:
It's not quite dead yet!

And that...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grbSQ6O6kbs
And that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnathanSwift View Post
And that too!

Quote:
What these people are saying is that they want to plug in and forget. Better stay away from lipo technology then!
+1000

I read the manual when I got my DX8 and amazingly... no problems with charging the battery. But I have to give full disclosure and make a confession.

I monitor my batteries when charging - method, interval and intensity depends on battery type.

JC
JC Spohr is offline Find More Posts by JC Spohr
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: About Me
Old Apr 04, 2012, 03:19 PM
3D Hack
United States, IL, Glen Carbon
Joined Jul 2010
1,860 Posts
Quote:
I missed where it is supposed to do that.

Therefore the manual and design must be defective.

JC
JC Spohr is offline Find More Posts by JC Spohr
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: About Me
Old Apr 04, 2012, 03:24 PM
Canada
Joined Aug 2004
848 Posts
Quote:
On my DX8, the voltage and battery indicator goes down with use,
You do know that the "battery indicator" is just a graphical representation of the voltage and not an indication of capacity.

Quote:
it is not a flat curve.

It is mostly flat for about 80% of the time. As the battery nears depletion, the voltage will fall off rather quickly. When the battery is freshly charged, the voltage will fall off rather quickly and then remain at around the same voltage for most of the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC Spohr View Post
I missed where it is supposed to do that.

Therefore the manual and design must be defective.

JC
My comment was referring to Gerry's erroneous assertion. It was not an attack on the DX8.
Old Apr 04, 2012, 03:25 PM
United States, MA, Bristol
Joined Sep 2009
1,561 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnathanSwift View Post
+1000.
So, then, by implication, you agree that an Aurora 9, a JR X9303 or whatever can also get hosed by the user.

School must be out, eh?[/QUOTE]

Don't know about JR, never owned one, although my dad has and they are good radios as far as his experience.

An A9 can be left overnight(and then some) on the supplied wall charger. Done it many times. It charges at less than 1/10 C (80 mA charge for a 1300 mA battery).
The charger light goes dim/out when its done.

Simple process for a simpleton like ME! LOL.

I've never heard of any A9 users smoking their battery pack with the stock charger(although I'm sure there are some), but there are plenty of cases with the DX8. In some cases it doesn't just destroy the battery but melts/burns the radio case as well. For a company so concerned about liability in this litigious society, thats a little contradiction.
seefest is offline Find More Posts by seefest
Old Apr 04, 2012, 03:35 PM
United States, UT, Salt Lake City
Joined Oct 2007
6,562 Posts
To add a little bit:
The DX8 uses vey little current - so - the readout is fine for it's purpose IF used as intended
also and this has to do with NIMH-
The present generation, needs to "form" -call it breaking in if you will-
use low current stock setup is fine - and first time around - IF the batt read say 4.8 - check it at about 5 hours -then at the recommended 12.
It will get a bit warm NOT hot!!!!
afer it is down again to say 4.6- recharge for 12 hrs- -it again should be a bit warm
The meter on the tx will likely read a bit higher second time around
Beause the amp demand is low the absolute state of charge vs voltage read is not worth worrying about .
If it were a A123 battery - different ballgame - those are really flat curve types and require a different approach.
If you are a long time user of nimh in old PCM radios - the Dx8 setup will seem strange as those old types needed charging for every flying session.
In this case - the drain (power used) is far lower and the batteries are better and have typically more capacity An old X347 had a 600 ma pack!
As for the horror stories - I guess some guys can bust an anvil with a rubber mallet . Seen this over n over ---
There are quite a few DX8's here - only one had a "hot battery problem and he was charging it after every flying session, even tho it may have had one flight - a quick review - and all was well.
richard hanson is online now Find More Posts by richard hanson
Last edited by richard hanson; Apr 04, 2012 at 03:45 PM.
Old Apr 04, 2012, 03:35 PM
United States, MA, Bristol
Joined Sep 2009
1,561 Posts
Quote:
Thats what EVERY rational person wants. Its available with other transmitters.

If a company invented a battery technology that could be "set and forget"(without fear of fire or ruin) on a charger and had the same energy density(and price point) of Lipos, don't you think EVERYONE would jump on the bandwagon? Of course they would.

All except you Gerry. You're content with your 1970's charger and gas pumps that don't shut off by themselves! LOL. Get real.

Actually, my 1970's Kraft sets could be left on their chargers almost indefinately, so that was a bad example.
seefest is offline Find More Posts by seefest