HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 04, 2012, 12:20 PM
Canada
Joined Aug 2004
876 Posts
I have resisted entering this most recent fracus, but I think that it is unfair to chastise people for not reading the manual or not being able to do something as "elementary" as "read a screen and then charge as needed".

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
Jonathan,
The NiMH should be charged overnight (10 hours and less than 12 hours are noted in the manual) when the battery is discharged (4.4V or so on the display).
This is a CRUCIAL caveat that is omitted from ANY documentation and apparently only recently has become the official word on the matter. The documentation merely states that the battery should not be left on the charger for more than 12h (and that is ONLY mentioned in the "Getting Started" guide). NOTHING is mentioned about the charge time needing to be proportional to the charge state. Fully charging the NiMH is an imprecise endeavour any way you slice it. You can only know how long to charge the DX8 if you know the TOTAL uptime (as far as I know there is no "system level" timer).

I don't think that it is unreasonable to expect "charge and forget" simplicity in a device that cost ~$400. It is a common concept that has been present in most consumer electronics for quite some time.

I personally consider the charging system to be a design flaw, but it is what it is, and I know how to work around it. However, the charging system will likely continue to befuddle new users since it is counter intuitive and not what users have become accustomed to.
grumpy42 is offline Find More Posts by grumpy42
Last edited by grumpy42; Apr 04, 2012 at 02:08 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 04, 2012, 12:42 PM
United States, MA, Bristol
Joined Sep 2009
1,561 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnathanSwift View Post
Thanks, Andy.

Substantively, this is a very fine radio and the manual is alright.

There will always be a few "nits," but they mean nothing to me.

I say let the naysayers eat cake!

As for the "off brand," well, boys, have fun with your warrantly claims!
The best warranty is one you never have to use. I've never had fun with any "off brand" warranty claims because I've never had to send back a transmitter until I bought Spektrum. (I have sent back a Hitec servo with stripped gears, replaced for free by Hitec)
seefest is offline Find More Posts by seefest
Old Apr 04, 2012, 12:44 PM
Joined Sep 2009
1,561 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard hanson View Post
Ah - an attempt at humor- but you are apparantly having fun .
Your dad must have great patience --
More than an attempt........and yes I am having fun. Isn't that what these forums and our hobby is about?

Sorry if your favorite brand is in the crosshairs.(you must be used to it by now)
Old Apr 04, 2012, 12:49 PM
Joined Sep 2009
1,561 Posts
I have a simple and elegant solution to the NiMH charging dilema. Charge $5(probably 10 times more than what it costs to make in China) more for each DX8 and include the Lipo as standard equipment like it was obviously designed for in the first place.

Then offer a Lipo upgrade to all present DX8 owners for 1/3 of the cost of what the Lipo currently costs.

Ah, but then the bitchin would start from the people who bought the $70 Lipo upgrade............
Ya, bad idea. Mea Culpa.
Old Apr 04, 2012, 01:08 PM
Stop scaring my donkey!
Greenland
Joined Mar 2012
8,564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seefest View Post
The best warranty is one you never have to use. I've never had fun with any "off brand" warranty claims because I've never had to send back a transmitter until I bought Spektrum. (I have sent back a Hitec servo with stripped gears, replaced for free by Hitec)
I have never used the JR warranty.

I have never used the Spektrum warranty, even with my former DX-7.

I have used the Hitec warranty, since it showed up with defective pots.

There is nothing wrong with "using" a warranty, since, despite the best of efforts, goods are sometimes defectively fabricated (latent defects are the hardest for manufacturers to find) or, worse yet, defectively designed.

Now, just try getting that puffed tx lipo replaced from Hongy Kongy!

One learns these things as one grows older.
JohnathanSwift is offline Find More Posts by JohnathanSwift
Old Apr 04, 2012, 01:13 PM
Stop scaring my donkey!
Greenland
Joined Mar 2012
8,564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy42 View Post
I have resisted staying out of this most recent fracus, but I think that it is unfair to chastise people for not reading the manual or not being able to do something as "elementary" as "read a screen and then charge as needed".

This is a CRUCIAL caveat that is omitted from ANY documentation and apparently only recently has become the official word on the matter. The documentation merely states that the battery should not be left on the charger for more than 12h (and that is ONLY mentioned in the "Getting Started" guide). NOTHING is mentioned about the charge time needing to be proportional to the charge state. Fully charging the NiMH is an imprecise endeavour any way you slice it. You can only know how long to charge the DX8 if you know the TOTAL uptime (as far as I know there is no "system level" timer).

I don't think that it is unreasonable to expect "charge and forget" simplicity in a device that cost ~$400. It is a common concept that has been present in most consumer electronics for quite some time.

I personally consider the charging system to be a design flaw, but it is what it is, and I know how to work around it. However, the charging system will likely continue to befuddle new users since it is counter intuitive and not what users have become accustomed to.
Grumpy, I agree the manual should be clear and unambiguous on this point, but, sadly, it is not.

However, I have no issue with the design once understood.

Heck, I knew guys that left DX-7 radios plugged in for days and ultimately blew a fuse or some such, requiring a trip back, too!

Remember that one?

Sum: Spektrum should "tighten up" the manual, and we, as consumers, should lighten up.
Old Apr 04, 2012, 01:16 PM
Bye Bye VP Aug 2010 - Aug 2012
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
6,002 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seefest View Post

Battery voltage is not an accurate indication of remaining battery capacity especially with the inacurate [sic] DX8 voltmeter.
Really? What method do you recommend then?
Gerry__ is offline Find More Posts by Gerry__
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Foamie Resurrection
Old Apr 04, 2012, 01:25 PM
Orlando, Fl
Joined Jan 2008
1,496 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry__ View Post
Really? What method do you recommend then?
It's best to use as many methods as you can. When I have a new plane, I choose a conservative flight time and measure the mAh put back in the battery during charge. I then increase the flight times in small increments until I get close the battery capacity. I also use the flight pack voltage telemetry mainly as a safety in case something goes wrong with the battery. It would also be nice to have a mAh telemetry readout as well. You can't have too much redundancy.
jhroof is offline Find More Posts by jhroof
Old Apr 04, 2012, 01:47 PM
Central California
Joined Dec 2006
2,585 Posts
Quote:
Grumpy, I agree the manual should be clear and unambiguous on this point, but, sadly, it is not.

However, I have no issue with the design once understood.

Heck, I knew guys that left DX-7 radios plugged in for days and ultimately blew a fuse or some such, requiring a trip back, too!

Remember that one?

Sum: Spektrum should "tighten up" the manual, and we, as consumers, should lighten up.
I suppose automobile manuals should clearly state that you should not attempt to put 15 gals of fuel into a 20 gal tank when the gauge is indicating 3/4 full?

I guess it also in the same light as having to put a warning label on cups that informs you that the coffee is HOT!!!
aerocal is offline Find More Posts by aerocal
Old Apr 04, 2012, 01:49 PM
Stop scaring my donkey!
Greenland
Joined Mar 2012
8,564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerocal View Post
I suppose automobile manuals should clearly state that you should not attempt to put 15 gals of fuel into a 20 gal tank when the gauge is indicating 3/4 full?
Sorry, that's too obtuse an analogy for me.
Old Apr 04, 2012, 01:53 PM
Central California
Joined Dec 2006
2,585 Posts
Quote:
Sorry, that's too obtuse an analogy for me.
I guess there is some part of "Do not Overcharge" that your not understanding?
aerocal is offline Find More Posts by aerocal
Old Apr 04, 2012, 01:54 PM
Dallas, TX
Joined Jan 2010
822 Posts
Quote:
A closer analogy would be to not fit the auto-stop sensor that prevents you from overflowing the tank as is fitted to pretty much every gas pump these days then blame the customers for not noticing
Telrin is online now Find More Posts by Telrin
Old Apr 04, 2012, 01:55 PM
EDF Junkie
Pacific Northwest
Joined Oct 2007
1,496 Posts
Quote:

I guess it also in the same light as having to put a warning label on cups that informs you that the coffee is HOT!!!
Poor example. Gas pumps have an auto cutoff. Even the non-computerized ones.

I'm not entering the fray. I've never had a problem with the charger. But I don't leave it on for more than 2-3 hours.
NwRcFlight is offline Find More Posts by NwRcFlight
Old Apr 04, 2012, 01:59 PM
Stop scaring my donkey!
Greenland
Joined Mar 2012
8,564 Posts
Uh, what do I do, now that I've driven off with the hose still attached!
Old Apr 04, 2012, 02:05 PM
Just here for the pie.
Canada, BC, Ashcroft
Joined Jun 2011
391 Posts
You sue the gas bar for not having an 'inactivity timer' of course. Lol!

I don't mean to stir the pot, but I'm getting some good laughs off this thread lately.

Thanks folks.

Cheers!
Randall
randall_l is offline Find More Posts by randall_l
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Half-good ain't all bad