SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 04, 2012, 02:28 AM
Central California
Joined Dec 2006
2,470 Posts
Its all good.It really wasnt that funny anyway so you didnt miss much.
aerocal is offline Find More Posts by aerocal
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 04, 2012, 02:29 AM
Dallas, TX
Joined Jan 2010
753 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seefest View Post
From the touchscreen, battery telemetry without a module, configurable EVERYTHING and reliability, the A9 is tough to beat!
There are only two areas in which the DX8 (or any other Spektrum tx) is preferable.

BnF models and the sheer number of different and specialized receivers.

Those are the only two reasons that I own a Spektrum tx today.

My main radio is an 8FG and I have used an A9 in the past, but having a Spektrum tx just for the BnF models makes sense for me.
Telrin is offline Find More Posts by Telrin
Old Apr 04, 2012, 02:49 AM
United Kingdom, England, Nantwich
Joined Jan 2012
255 Posts
I've yet to get my DX8 but I'm already starting to regret not having a closer look at the A9 :/
Hixxer is offline Find More Posts by Hixxer
Old Apr 04, 2012, 03:10 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2003
3,272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by toomanyplanes View Post
My 2 month old DX8 just blew up its NiMh battery pack. I plugged in the charge cord and came back about 10 hours later to find that my DX8 would not turn on. I opened the battery compartment and immediately smelled smoke. The plastic wrap around the stock battery was melted and two of the cells were ruptured. nice. $8 Wal Mart NiMh chargers don't do this and an $8 Wal Mart charger has a light to let you know when the batteries are charged.

My neighbor, who purchased a DX8 a week after me, just had one of the gimbals go bad. The aileron servos move about 40% (without any side to side stick movement) when my neighbor moves the elevator stick up/down. He crashed two planes before he figured this out.

I did a ton of research before I purchased the DX8 and I only purchased the DX8 because I thought all the problems and bugs had been worked out. I have massive buyer’s remorse at this point and wish I would have purchased the Aurora 9 instead. I spent months trying to decide between the two and clearly made the wrong choice.

I felt obliged to add to this thread. I hope other don't make the same mistake and buy what seems to be a total piece of junk (as far as reliability is concerned).
Would be nice to see some photos of this!
topgearuk is offline Find More Posts by topgearuk
Old Apr 04, 2012, 03:17 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2003
3,272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugbitten View Post
I left my DX8 on, in the transmittter case, and, drained the battery.

Internal charging stops at 7.8v.

Have I wasted a perfectly good battery?

(edit) Never mind. The battery is puffed. dang!
What make of Lipo you using? How puffed is the pack? Was the TX set to Lipo?

What do you mean internal changing stops at 7.8v was that before or after you left the TX on, that equals about 60-70% charged battery state.
Old Apr 04, 2012, 04:12 AM
United States, KY, Madisonville
Joined Mar 2011
544 Posts
The TX would not come on out of the transmitter box. I plugged it in to charge. The charge light went off in about 15 minutes and the voltage read 7.8. It will not charge further. TX set to Lipo. Before it charged to 8.2.

HK brand lipo for DX

Photo attached.
Bugbitten is offline Find More Posts by Bugbitten
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Bugbitten; Apr 04, 2012 at 04:17 AM.
Old Apr 04, 2012, 04:17 AM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracknoob View Post
I was not being smart-alecky; I am honestly a new user and am just discovering the many, many excellent features of this radio, and I am sorry if someone is leaving the thread on the basis of something I said or a question I had. I used my DX6i for the full year or so I've been in the hobby, and it's served me very well, and I am tickled at all the features I get now, with my new DX8.

I myself have left a few threads over time because I just felt I had covered (and then seen re-covered, and covered again!) the same old ground. So, no shame in leaving if someone really feels they have both contributed and received as much as they are likely to do.

Hopefully I can contribute here as much as I receive, before I decide to check out myself.

Peace.

I was saying "Bye" to pavcon.

VP
Victory Pete is offline Find More Posts by Victory Pete
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Apr 04, 2012, 04:20 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2003
3,272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugbitten View Post
The TX would not come on out of the transmitter box. I plugged it in to charge. The charge light went off in about 15 minutes and the voltage read 7.8. It will not charge further. TX set to Lipo.

HK brand lipo.

Photo attached.
That is pretty puffed, was the TX set to Lipo? I would not use that battery and dispose of it properly.. There are many causes for puffed lipo's, but 2 of the most common are discharged below 2.75v (2.5v) per cell, the chemicals inside change state. And when charged cause puffing.. Or very high prolonged discharge/charge at max/ 'C' ratings (quality of cells plays a part)

(Spekrums line is not to use other branded batteries other then there own.)
Old Apr 04, 2012, 05:19 AM
Dallas, TX
Joined Jan 2010
753 Posts
Correct if my recollection is wrong, but I don't think the DX8 actually has a low voltage shut down like the A9 for example.

So if you leave the DX8 turned on and ignore/don't hear the inactivity alarm or the low battery warning then it will just keep on draining a generic lipo until the pack is killed.

The branded Lipo is supposed to have protection against this so that should be 'safe'.

Another less than ideal design decision made with an eye more on product sales than safety it would seem.
Old Apr 04, 2012, 05:53 AM
3D Hack
United States, IL, Glen Carbon
Joined Jul 2010
1,909 Posts
Let me sum up all the bitching -

You want Spektrum to sell a radiio that is idiot proof...

JC
JC Spohr is offline Find More Posts by JC Spohr
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: About Me
Old Apr 04, 2012, 06:44 AM
United States, MA, Bristol
Joined Sep 2009
1,561 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry H View Post
I am a DX8 owner and find your comments insulting - HONESTLY

Harry
My condolences.

Truth hurts I guess.

If you were really being honest with yourself you wouldn't be insulted.........it wouldn't matter.
seefest is offline Find More Posts by seefest
Last edited by seefest; Apr 04, 2012 at 06:58 AM.
Old Apr 04, 2012, 06:52 AM
Joined Sep 2009
1,561 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telrin View Post
There are only two areas in which the DX8 (or any other Spektrum tx) is preferable.

BnF models and the sheer number of different and specialized receivers.

Those are the only two reasons that I own a Spektrum tx today.

My main radio is an 8FG and I have used an A9 in the past, but having a Spektrum tx just for the BnF models makes sense for me.
Agree 100%. I had a DX6i because I was addicted to cheap Orange RX receivers. I don't BNF, so that didn't appeal to me.

Finally got fed up with Spektrum quality and converted the last of my fleet and planes to Hitec. Now I'm 2/3 Hitec and 1/3 Futaba. Love the Futaba stuff but it is pricey.

The specialized receivers I find is more confusing to newbies and the inexperienced. With Hitec, you have the Minimas(full range) for the small stuff, and the O6L, O6, O7 and O9 for whatever size plane you need. All full range and without that stupid satellite.
Old Apr 04, 2012, 06:57 AM
Joined Sep 2009
1,561 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC Spohr View Post

JC
NO, I think these guys want Spektrum to build a radio that is as easy to use as the competition, ie Futaba, Hitec and Airtronics. Having to pull the stock NiMH pack out of the transmitter to charge and having to guess how long to charge it is very poor engineering. If they couldn't get the charger right, what else(more importantly) didn't they get right?
Old Apr 04, 2012, 07:01 AM
Dallas, TX
Joined Jan 2010
753 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC Spohr View Post

I don't think you came even close to summing up 'all the bitching'

However on the two battery points what is causing concern is a couple of easily avoidable destructive failure modes.

An extreme low voltage switch-off is a sensible inclusion in any radio designed for Lipo use, building the protection into the lipo is a pure sales driven design choice not a 'safety feature', other radios have done this better.

Preventing users from using external NiMH chargers while failing to provide a safe internal charger will continue to result in people destroying the standard NiMH packs.

Andy has previously suggested that charging overnight from 4.4V is 'safe', but still repeats that a 10 hour first charge is recommended.

Today I've seen a new DX8 that arrived with the internal pack already at 4.8V, so is that still 'safe' with a 10 hour charge?

All this could have so easily been avoided..
Old Apr 04, 2012, 07:08 AM
AMA 84248 since 1964
Joined Jan 2011
1,359 Posts
I don't usually get involved in these childish exchanges, however, I do enjoy exchanging information on my Specktrum products. Last time I checked, this thread was entitled "Dx8 & Dx10" If you would like to exchange info on Futaba, or Hitec, I'm sure there's a thread...

Now can we get back to discussions about the DX8, and preferably not the same hash about NiMh batteries. That horse has to be dead by now. Just put a timer in your workshop and don't charge them for more that 2 or 3 hours. If you have toasted the factory set, purchase the Sanyo Eneloop batteries and make up a pack, takes about 15 minutes.

Now, for another topic, anybody want to comment about Chuck Bassini's manual on the DX8? I find it a little better than the Factory manual because he includes pictures. I just wish I could get a Bassini Addendum that includes more information about Telemetry functions and hook ups, as well as a better alphabetic listing of topics. I created a powerpoint document that shows which menu one needs to enter for various programming, but it needs work.

KKKKFL
Franco2fly is offline Find More Posts by Franco2fly