HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 05, 2012, 07:38 AM
Bye Bye VP Aug 2010 - Aug 2012
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
6,002 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy42 View Post
C/10 is defined as a SLOW charge NOT a trickle charge. A true trickle charge is much lower - typically in the range of c/50.

Furthermore, the DX8 may use low self-discharge NiMHs, and LSD batteries are much more susceptible to overcharging than regular NiMHs.
LSD batteries don't need to be put on trickle charge, that's the point of them!
Gerry__ is offline Find More Posts by Gerry__
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Foamie Resurrection
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 05, 2012, 08:11 AM
Bruno, GOOD DOG
United States, IA, Grinnell
Joined Aug 2007
4,025 Posts
Quote:
C/10 is defined as a SLOW charge NOT a trickle charge. A true trickle charge is much lower - typically in the range of c/50.

Furthermore, the DX8 may use low self-discharge NiMHs, and LSD batteries are much more susceptible to overcharging than regular NiMHs.

Constantly performing an overnight charge on a partially depleted pack WILL overcharge your NiMH batteries (the manual even warns against leaving the charger plugged in too long). If you like to keep your TX pack "topped off" you are better off investing in the LIPO since the charge will terminate automatically once the pack is charged.

Alternatively, you can remove the NiMH battery pack and use a "proper" peak detection charger.
What is the maximum rate you would run this "proper" peak detection charger, I have a Duratrax "ICE", a Triton "GREEN DOT" and a Thunder AC 6, all of which are capable of this charge job. I have been using the Duratrax ICE at 500 mil, will that damage the pack, or can I go even higher, would a 2000 mil charge rate be too much?
Thanks
Ron
A Rdnek is online now Find More Posts by A Rdnek
Old Feb 05, 2012, 08:15 AM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Rdnek View Post
What is the maximum rate you would run this "proper" peak detection charger, I have a Duratrax "ICE", a Triton "GREEN DOT" and a Thunder AC 6, all of which are capable of this charge job. I have been using the Duratrax ICE at 500 mil, will that damage the pack, or can I go even higher, would a 2000 mil charge rate be too much?
Thanks
Ron
I charge my DX8 NiMH pack outside the Tx at .5 amp, which is .25C. It takes about 4 hours.

VP
Victory Pete is offline Find More Posts by Victory Pete
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Feb 05, 2012, 09:28 AM
Canada
Joined Aug 2004
876 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Rdnek View Post
What is the maximum rate you would run this "proper" peak detection charger
I am an impatient bloke, so I tend charge my other TX NiMHs at 1C (I haven't charged the DX8 pack outside the TX). Usually C/2-1C is required for proper peak detection (depends on charger and number of cells). If you select too high of a rate, the temperature gets too high towards the end of the charge (does your charger have a temp probe?). Also, old packs may "false peak", so just lower the charge rate until you stop getting "false peaks".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry__ View Post
LSD batteries don't need to be put on trickle charge, that's the point of them!
I never said that LSD batteries should be trickle charged

I just said that DX8 MAY use LSD batteries, and if it does, they are much more susceptible to overcharging.
grumpy42 is offline Find More Posts by grumpy42
Old Feb 05, 2012, 09:31 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
24,873 Posts
The stock cells are not LSD.

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 05, 2012, 09:45 AM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
Quote:
If you select too high of a rate, the temperature gets too high towards the end of the charge (does your charger have a temp probe?)

At .25C, 500ma (.5 A) battery temperature at the end gets around 100 degrees F.

VP
Old Feb 05, 2012, 10:12 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
6,002 Posts
Quote:
I never said that LSD batteries should be trickle charged

I just said that DX8 MAY use LSD batteries, and if it does, they are much more susceptible to overcharging.
What led you to believe they MAY use LSD cells? Merely opening battery hatch and looking at them would have confirmed to you that they are NOT LSD.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 05, 2012, 10:28 AM
Canada
Joined Aug 2004
876 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory Pete View Post
At .25C, 500ma (.5 A) battery temperature at the end gets around 100 degrees F.
I don't understand your wacky units

NiMH should be warm after charging. Too hot to handle is bad. Actually, I think that NiMH can get up to 60 degree C (140F) without incurring damage.

Quote:
What led you to believe they MAY use LSD cells?
So far, the batteries seem to exhibit decent charge retention. Also, since the DX8 is relatively new and LSD batteries have been available for a while now, it seemed to make sense that Spektrum would include LSD batteries.

Quote:
Merely opening battery hatch and looking at them would have confirmed to you that they are NOT LSD.
Hmmmm.... Really? How?
It is a sealed heat shrink pack. You cannot see the actual cells (unless you cut the pack open). Even the cells may not directly indicate whether they are LSD cells or not. I have LSD NiMH from a couple different manufacturers. One has no indication that they are LSD, while the others only indicate that they are "ready to use".
Last edited by grumpy42; Feb 05, 2012 at 10:34 AM.
Old Feb 05, 2012, 10:39 AM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
Quote:
What led you to believe they MAY use LSD cells? Merely opening battery hatch and looking at them would have confirmed to you that they are NOT LSD.
The fact they last so long.

VP
Old Feb 05, 2012, 10:41 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
6,002 Posts
Quote:

NiMH should be warm after charging. Too hot to handle is bad. Actually, I think that NiMH can get up to 60 degree C (140F) without incurring damage.

So far, the batteries seem to exhibit decent charge retention. Also, since the DX8 is relatively new and LSD batteries have been available for a while now, it seemed to make sense that Spektrum would include LSD batteries.

Hmmmm.... Really? How?
It is a sealed heat shrink pack. You cannot see the actual cells (unless you cut the pack open). Even the cells may not directly indicate whether they are LSD cells or not. I have LSD NiMH from a couple different manufacturers. One has no indication that they are LSD, while the others only indicate that they are "ready to use".
If the pack was LSD it would say so. Maybe your LDS packs aren't LSD. All the good ones actually say they are.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 05, 2012, 10:41 AM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
Quote:

Hmmmm.... Really? How?
As usual, great common sense and logic.

Cheers and tables!

VP
Old Feb 05, 2012, 10:43 AM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
Quote:
If the pack was LSD it would say so. Maybe your LDS packs aren't LSD. All the good ones actually say they are.
Nope! I have Duracell "Precharged" and it says nothing about "LSD".

VP
Old Feb 05, 2012, 11:05 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
6,002 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory Pete View Post
Nope! I have Duracell "Precharged" and it says nothing about "LSD".

VP
Do you really think they would be pre-charged if they weren't LSD?
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 05, 2012, 11:20 AM
Canada
Joined Aug 2004
876 Posts
Quote:
Sorry, but this is not necessarily the case.

My eneloops say "ready to use"
My Panasonics have no indication on the cells that they are LSD, but the packaging said that they are precharged. Also, if you look up the part number, they are listed as "super low discharge"
Old Feb 05, 2012, 11:32 AM
Champagne Supernova
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Jul 2010
2,007 Posts
Had a weird event at the field today. Turned on radio and no display, blank like it wasn't powered up but there was a little vibrate going on, you could feel and hear it but not as loud and potent as the activity alarm.

I checked all my switches like flaps etc. all in correct position. I turned it off and tried again. Same thing. I cycled power like 5-6 times and the display came up and no vibration, all was good from that point. Batt is fully charged.

Anybody seen this yet ?
FlyHighSelllow is offline Find More Posts by FlyHighSelllow