HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 22, 2010, 07:22 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
Quote:
...JR owns Spektrum...
Nope. This is a common misconception that is propagated across the Internet. Horizon (a US company which is a distributor but not a mfr) own Spektrum (a US company) and are the US distributors of JR (Japan Radio). No doubt it was their buying power with JR that enabled them to negotiate the use of JR platforms (2610/Max66 -> DX6, 7202 -> DX7, 9303 -> DX9) to accelerate release of Spektrum technology into the global market. The DX6i, DX8 and DX10 are custom designs (owned) by Spektrum and unrelated to JR.

JR, without its own 2.4 technology, licensed Spektrum technology to enable them to release their X9303/X9503 although in Japan they now use a "agile" hopping solution called DSM-J rather than the "redundant/failover" solution provided by DSM/DSM2.
kgfly is online now Find More Posts by kgfly
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 22, 2010, 07:55 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
13,159 Posts
I always tought HH with JR used the name Spektrum to lauch the 2.4 Ghz technology so that if it didn't catch, it wouldn't hurt the JR name.

Anyway they were leaders in seeing the need for no frequency control. After all, RC radios were the only devices that needed you to watch for frequency conflict while operating. An anachronism in today's world of wireless technology. Imagine checking frequencies with your neibhors on your wireless phone or cell And these things don't crash a 1000 $ model if conflict arises !!

Futaba may say they use 2,4 Ghz in industrial technology, but they lost it in the RC hobby. Now they follow.
carguy1994ca is online now Find More Posts by carguy1994ca
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 22, 2010, 09:17 PM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,634 Posts
I am going to add a DX8 tx to my current DX7 and keep both of them....looks like a pretty good deal for the extra money when you compare the extra features. You are getting more than another channel, for sure.

I am flat out of model memory on my DX7 and this will relieve the population pressure....

My Spektrums have been faultess in thousands of flights,so far.
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Thomas B; Apr 22, 2010 at 10:52 PM.
Old Apr 23, 2010, 03:23 AM
Thornleigh - 20k N of Sydney,N.S.W.,AUSTRALIA
Joined Aug 2001
746 Posts
Dx7??

G'day yet again ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by robtest View Post
DX8 just gives them a higher end radio. Don't see them getting rid of the DX7 because of it though. They do still have the DX6i and DX5 radios...
Oh well ... I'll just say again that the DX7 in effect is a holdover from very much earlier JR radios, and hope, by saying that, I don't offend all the DX7 devotees. There's nothing wrong with its appearance ... only that it's been around for a while.
The DX7's case and all control functions and switches, and apparently nearly all the programming for the DX7 is identical to my now long gone JR X378 which dates back to 2002. ...

I still reckon such an older looking Tx, will still be replaced PDQ by the DX8, as a higher end and dedicated purely Spektrum radio, which will not look like an ancient cloned JR. ... ... . which incidentally I found back then, was also far harder to program from the supplied X378 manual, I haven't really looked at the DX7's manual ... so I s'pose I should really see if they've perhaps improved it? ...
BTW ... actually looking now at my old X378's manual, I would probably not find it as difficult to program, by cross referring, now that I've been able to use the DX6i's very well written, and easy to follow manual, especially as I consider the DX6i's programming controls far easier to use as well. I sincerely hope the same bloke that wrote the DX6i's manual gets to write the one in English for the DX8, using the same format.
In the meantime I'll hang on to my DX6i, and wait until I am able to get a really good look at the DX8 and more important, find out what it'll cost ... ...

This time you get 25cents worth ... but no change required! ... Daffy.
Little Black Duck is offline Find More Posts by Little Black Duck
Old Apr 23, 2010, 03:38 AM
Thornleigh - 20k N of Sydney,N.S.W.,AUSTRALIA
Joined Aug 2001
746 Posts
Quick P.S. to above ...
Took a squizz at both the DX7's and my old X378' s manuals, and although the DX7 manual has definitely been simplified, most of the programming, and how it's effected is essentially the same.
Naturally the DX7 manual has a fair amount dedicated to binding and other 2.4GHz requirements.
But if you lost your DX7 manual and still had an older more ancient JR radio with similar programming controls, you'd have no difficulty with at least programming the DX7.
Only 2cents worth this time ... Daffy.
Little Black Duck is offline Find More Posts by Little Black Duck
Old Apr 23, 2010, 07:06 AM
Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Oct 2008
4,100 Posts
I was looking at the DX7 in the LHS yesterday and I noticed the DX7 has changed. I noticed the Flap switch had moved and several things have been re-named. First I thought it was a DX7SE but it was just a regular DX7. I didnt know they had updated it.
verticalspark is offline Find More Posts by verticalspark
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Rocket Crash
Old Apr 23, 2010, 09:18 AM
United States, CO, Lakewood
Joined Mar 2007
3,013 Posts
There are two DX7's. The Heli version & fixed wing version. So your saying one or them has changed?
ColoradoHeliNut is offline Find More Posts by ColoradoHeliNut
Last edited by ColoradoHeliNut; Apr 23, 2010 at 09:23 AM.
Old Apr 23, 2010, 09:42 AM
Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Oct 2008
4,100 Posts
That is what I saw, I think they were the same version. I wll have to do some more looking into it to be sure.
verticalspark is offline Find More Posts by verticalspark
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Rocket Crash
Old Apr 26, 2010, 09:41 AM
I feel the need for speed
St. Petersburg, FL
Joined Feb 2007
1,269 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoHeliNut View Post
There are two DX7's. The Heli version & fixed wing version. So your saying one or them has changed?
I actually believe there are THREE versions. The Heli, AIR, and SE (Special Edition) versions.
BaracW is offline Find More Posts by BaracW
Old Apr 26, 2010, 10:40 PM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaracW View Post
I actually believe there are THREE versions. The Heli, AIR, and SE (Special Edition) versions.
To be precise, there are three but it's like this:
The DX7 comes in two versions, Heli and Airplane.
The DX7SE comes only in one version, Heli.
Daedalus66 is offline Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Apr 27, 2010, 09:14 PM
Canada, ON, Milton
Joined Feb 2010
157 Posts
56 more days until DX8
Danyal is offline Find More Posts by Danyal
Last edited by Danyal; Apr 27, 2010 at 11:20 PM.
Old Apr 30, 2010, 01:00 PM
Park Stormer
United States, NJ, Brooklawn
Joined Jul 2008
825 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danyal View Post
56 more days until DX8
More accurately until it's officially announced. Anyone's guess as to when it will reach shelves.

Which boggles my mind. People who want to be first in line for this thing are already watching threads like this, and have a pretty good deal what to expect.

And I second Little Black Ducks thoughts on the phasing out of the DX7. With the new lower price point of the DX6i, thats the radio that will pe positioned as the "bread and butter" beginner radio by horizon. Firstly, it has a limited memory, and as its my first and only radio, I can attest that what everyone says is true: "you'll have more than 12 models before you know it." In addition a lot of planes need 7 channels just for the mixing, like the HL typhoon, or the vertigo indoor thing that great planes makes. This means people will outgrow the 6I quickly, and be looking to upgrade. HH would have more trouble moving people from the 7 to the 8, than from the 6 to the 8. And the end goal is to get people in your top shelf product.

Personally, I was looking at a used JR 9 channel, and figured I'd skip the 7 all together. Till I heard rumors about the Dx8. I knew I wanted to keep the scroll wheel, and the larger JR screens were a plus. I figure the 8 is a good compromise between the two, and the on board telemetry is something I'd like to know more about.

The big detail we all need is the US price. Anything more than 400 and its now being put up against the new TX golden child; the Aurora 9. This would be a big mistake for horizon, as the only thing the 8 would have over the Aurora would be it's use of spektrum brand rx's (most notably the Ultra micro planes/helis)

Balls in your court horizon.
AggressorBLUE is offline Find More Posts by AggressorBLUE
Old Apr 30, 2010, 11:16 PM
Joined Mar 2007
3,013 Posts
& I hear that soon there will be a spektum modual out for the Aurora. That will be the nail in the coffin.
Old May 01, 2010, 01:27 PM
Park Stormer
United States, NJ, Brooklawn
Joined Jul 2008
825 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoHeliNut View Post
& I hear that soon there will be a spektum modual out for the Aurora. That will be the nail in the coffin.
That would indeed sell me on the aurora over the DX8. Is this just scuttle butt or are the "rumors" of the modual more like the "rumors" of the DX8 (ie, it's the secret everybody knows)?
AggressorBLUE is offline Find More Posts by AggressorBLUE
Old May 01, 2010, 03:44 PM
Joined Mar 2007
3,013 Posts
I'd just see it at a strong rumor right now.

Hopefully it will happen by the time the DX8 comes out. I would really like to have a DX8. I'm out of memory for more models on the 7.