HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 06, 2012, 07:31 PM
EDF Junkie
Pacific Northwest
Joined Oct 2007
1,496 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip View Post
I wonder if car buyers buy a car then complain to the dealer/manufacturer about being forced options or features on them.

If they do I wonder if the answer they get is "Why you buy this car then?"
My nephew just bought a used $50,000 Cadillac that had been returned to the dealer after six weeks because the owner didn't like the features of the car. The dealer took the car back. So yes, if you have enough money and a dealer that knows how to take care of a good customer you can complain to a dealer/manufacturer and they will take care of you.

That guy got a new car and my nephew got a virtually new Cadillac at one heck of a deal. Of course my nephews dad also buys fleet trucks from that dealer so the dealer wanted them to be happy too.

Obviously none of us asking for the inactivity alarm to be "improved" have enough money or are persuasive enough in our requests to make a difference (so far).
NwRcFlight is offline Find More Posts by NwRcFlight
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 06, 2012, 07:39 PM
Livin it UP when Im goin DOWN
Norway, Telemark, Skien
Joined Feb 2010
4,392 Posts
I'm in the computer business. 10 years ago we had a 35% markup. We used to care about the customers back then. Now the margin is 5% and we don't have time to care anymore since we have to push 7 times the number of boxes to make the same revenue. The owners expect an increase in profitability, though... And customers expect the same level of service but shop around for the best price on the web. 2012 calling!
Arcteryxxx is offline Find More Posts by Arcteryxxx
Old Jan 06, 2012, 07:53 PM
EDF Junkie
Pacific Northwest
Joined Oct 2007
1,496 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcteryxxx View Post
To all of you guys complaining about the 10min inactivity buzzer: what do you normally do after flight? Go to a bar celebrating a happy landing, or run across the field to salvage your lawn dart? I usually land, disconnect the LiPos in my model, switch off my DX8 and have a cup of coffee and chat with the guys - or just switch LiPo pack in my model and launch again. Only situation the buzzer has activated in my Eight was during servo testing and Tx programming with some "tinto" involved...
Get real!
I have never complained about the alarm being a problem to field activities. I have never had it go off at the field because I turn my transmitter off after flight. Your snide "get real" is not appreciated.

Why are some of you so selfish that you can't recognize other points of view? If the alarm was improved and could be configured it would not affect you at all and it would make the radio better for us too. What is wrong with that?

My issue involves using the transmitter at home. Setting up or tuning an aircraft. I've been yelled at by spouse and daughter's for waking babies with the activity alarm and beeps from doing settings. I've had the transmitter nearly vib off of a table and a counter when I had to leave the house suddenly due to family emergencies and the transmitter was left on.

I fly electric only at fields that are electric only. A greatly reduced but still audible alarm and "clicks" with no vib would meet my needs and bring peace to the home front.
Old Jan 06, 2012, 07:57 PM
Joined Feb 2008
2,787 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NwRcFlight View Post
My nephew just bought a used $50,000 Cadillac that had been returned to the dealer after six weeks because the owner didn't like the features of the car. The dealer took the car back. So yes, if you have enough money and a dealer that knows how to take care of a good customer you can complain to a dealer/manufacturer and they will take care of you.
Note that all they did was take the car back - not redesign it for him. I can think of instances of Horizon taking things back, and/or sending substantial freebies to unhappy customers too. We have also had several feature changes on the DX8 already as well, so it is looking like Horizon will do more to support a $400 product than Cadillac will do to support a $50,000 product.

OK, seriously I'm sure Cadillac provides excellent support. I'm just pointing out that there are plenty of good anecdotes for Horizon as well.
Dave H. is offline Find More Posts by Dave H.
Old Jan 06, 2012, 08:02 PM
EDF Junkie
Pacific Northwest
Joined Oct 2007
1,496 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave H. View Post
Note that all they did was take the car back - not redesign it for him. I can think of instances of Horizon taking things back, and/or sending substantial freebies to unhappy customers too. We have also had several feature changes on the DX8 already as well, so it is looking like Horizon will do more to support a $400 product than Cadillac will do to support a $50,000 product.

OK, seriously I'm sure Cadillac provides excellent support. I'm just pointing out that there are plenty of good anecdotes for Horizon as well.
My only point was in reply to Freechips question asking if people complain about car features. My answer was "yes" with an example.
Old Jan 06, 2012, 08:32 PM
Joined Feb 2008
2,787 Posts
Oh, I agree that there is complaining about all products.
Old Jan 06, 2012, 08:47 PM
Joined Nov 2006
1,067 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave H. View Post
Cadillac and even budget cars all are required to fix their products if they have defects - through recalls - just like the Dx8 had. Drive down the street to the dealer, pick the car back up in an hour and you're done.

What people get annoyed about is having to ship their product back, 1-4 times just to get it to -function- each time possibly waiting a month or more (faster now I am sure). It's a great reason to not buy a newly released product - especially if the company is newly established or their track record of quality is less than to standard.
Kurpal is offline Find More Posts by Kurpal
Old Jan 06, 2012, 09:08 PM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
i dont see the point of all this discussion..
Really
Ok the demand is there.. Andy saw it several times. As per other ''requests'' conclussions'' complaints etc im sure he transfered them to the superiors.
I believe if for them gto deside whether or not to have the alarm option
So blabing and arguing about it wont bring the feauture faster or 'at all' on the next update.
point is made. I tink we all have to wait. Even we that we dont need this feauture disabled by any means
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon
Old Jan 06, 2012, 09:33 PM
Tallahassee, FL
Joined Sep 2009
1,625 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NwRcFlight View Post
...My issue involves using the transmitter at home. Setting up or tuning an aircraft. I've been yelled at by spouse and daughter's for waking babies with the activity alarm and beeps from doing settings. I've had the transmitter nearly vib off of a table and a counter when I had to leave the house suddenly due to family emergencies and the transmitter was left on.

I fly electric only at fields that are electric only. A greatly reduced but still audible alarm and "clicks" with no vib would meet my needs and bring peace to the home front.
I guess I sort of stirred this up, this time, but I have to agree that the vibe is stupid for inactivity and the audible should at least have loud and soft modes. I can't even work with my DX7 in the evenings because the chirp is so annoying to others.
Turner2 is online now Find More Posts by Turner2
Old Jan 06, 2012, 09:42 PM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard hanson View Post
Those polls are not worth a pinch of puppy poo
But your "99%" "Statistic" is worth "A Dash Of Dog Doo"?

VP
Victory Pete is offline Find More Posts by Victory Pete
Last edited by Victory Pete; Jan 06, 2012 at 09:48 PM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 06, 2012, 09:44 PM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip View Post
#1 - I would of turned off my radio before going to help my friend.

#2 - many house burned down and killed the owners or occupants because they removed the battery or did not replaced the dead batteries.

For evey good reason to have it someone has a bad one and vice versa. What we need to do is learn how to use it. Turning the radio off is so simple it takes but a sec or two to do.
Last time I setup a heli I had to move sticks around to check my setup which would not cause the alarm to trigger.

When I do forget it and it beeps the features does two things, it reminds me I forgot to turn it off and it makes me think of this forum, thread and you guys.
Not a good enough argument for the Inactivity Alarm being "Non-configurable". Sorry.

VP
Victory Pete is offline Find More Posts by Victory Pete
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 06, 2012, 09:53 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
bah.. Argue as much as you like.
Thing is when spektrums desides to make it selectable it will be. Its not up to any of you.
Thing is that this point here is destrying the thread anw
Old Jan 06, 2012, 10:29 PM
Canada, BC, Vernon
Joined Mar 2009
249 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavcon View Post
bah.. Argue as much as you like.
Thing is when spektrums desides to make it selectable it will be. Its not up to any of you.
Thing is that this point here is destrying the thread anw
Agreed!
Until we have or do not have an option to the inactivity alarm how about placing your DX8 TX on an old or new Mouse Pad when doing complex setup's? That might help with the walking "vibe". As for the "chirps" & "beeps" I am sorry some of us lack "Man space" to indulge in your hobby but I will get over it.

Brian T.
GBRellic is offline Find More Posts by GBRellic
Old Jan 06, 2012, 10:29 PM
Joined Feb 2008
2,787 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurpal View Post
Cadillac and even budget cars all are required to fix their products if they have defects - through recalls - just like the Dx8 had. Drive down the street to the dealer, pick the car back up in an hour and you're done.

What people get annoyed about is having to ship their product back, 1-4 times just to get it to -function- each time possibly waiting a month or more (faster now I am sure). It's a great reason to not buy a newly released product - especially if the company is newly established or their track record of quality is less than to standard.
Well, it's not always an hour. My previous car spent more than one week at the dealership twice. The car before that spent 2 weeks of its first month in the dealership. I agree that shipping the radio is an annoyance, but this is a very different market where dealerships don't have service bays. Likewise I noticed that my TV's manual says there is in-home service for 42" and larger, but for smaller, you have to box it up and ship it. That sounds even less enjoyable than shipping a radio.

But yeah, I agree, that's annoying, I wish the DSM2 incompatibility never happened, but we're talking about the inactivity alarm, and if that ever changes, it will probably just be a firmware download.

And I agree it may not be optimal to buy the latest gadget - like I did. 3 round trips for me - two prior to the bug being understood. The last dX8 round trip too about 10 days total in November which wasn't bad.

Oh, one of the reasons I could wait until November was because they kept sending me free DMSX receivers for my trouble and debugging help, so it wasn't all bad.
Last edited by Dave H.; Jan 06, 2012 at 10:35 PM.
Old Jan 06, 2012, 11:22 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBRellic View Post
Agreed!
Until we have or do not have an option to the inactivity alarm how about placing your DX8 TX on an old or new Mouse Pad when doing complex setup's? That might help with the walking "vibe". As for the "chirps" & "beeps" I am sorry some of us lack "Man space" to indulge in your hobby but I will get over it.

Brian T.
Ive seen many reports of probs here.. so far I havent been able to duplicate any of them. It seems that my batch is flawless ??? I don't believe Im a better user.. any. mine was one of the first ones to come out. I also had a second DX8 that I sold and the only thing I tested was the mixing reboot issue..

nothing there either.

I'm 110% satisfied with my radio..