HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 30, 2011, 10:58 AM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardMan View Post
I don't understand why it's acting this way. It's had aileron centering problems for over six months. I've grown used to its various "moods." They've changed, for the better, but who knows for how long.

I checked it out before updating the firmware, and directly after. The change is very noticeable. It hasn't required holding right aileron in flight yet. FBL helis fly again. It's like it finally saw the light, or got with the program.

It was a month door to door for a long time, including shipping (UPS ground both ways), receiving and order processing, and the actual repair work. That's why I've waited six months putting up with this. All of this could have been avoided, they could have done the right thing six months ago.

It's not like I didn't try to help. I spoke with support people and tried to supply info to the product's PM. I ran tests replacing parts one at a time narrowing it down. Many parts were destroyed in the process. "We don't have a problem."

Suddenly, it's "Hey look at this announcement. Enjoy! Aren't we so great. Want to fill in a survey?"

This will cost them future sales.
I feel your pain!
VP
Victory Pete is offline Find More Posts by Victory Pete
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 30, 2011, 11:03 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
22,477 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavcon View Post
andy.. how does the ar8000 perform in a composite plane?? is it safe to use or do I need any special receiver.?
sorry for asking hthis.. it's my first composite plane..
They work fine in glass planes. A carbon plane would require the standard precautions of locating the antenna away from the carbon portions, which is more easily accomplished using the for-carbon products (remotes with long antenna leads).

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 30, 2011, 04:41 PM
The Crash King
United States, OH, Richfield
Joined Mar 2010
209 Posts
When my DX8 is done charging with the stock battery, what should its voltage be?
RCDestroyer is offline Find More Posts by RCDestroyer
Old Dec 30, 2011, 04:45 PM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCDestroyer View Post
When my DX8 is done charging with the stock battery, what should its voltage be?
5.7 Volts

VP
Old Dec 30, 2011, 04:57 PM
The Crash King
United States, OH, Richfield
Joined Mar 2010
209 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory Pete View Post
5.7 Volts

VP
Thanks!
RCDestroyer is offline Find More Posts by RCDestroyer
Old Dec 30, 2011, 04:59 PM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCDestroyer View Post
Thanks!
It will drop fast to 5 .5 volts, then very slowly drop to 4.8 volts, that is when I recharge.

VP
Old Dec 30, 2011, 05:39 PM
United States, NJ, Clayton
Joined Aug 2010
1,580 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory Pete View Post
It will drop fast to 5 .5 volts, then very slowly drop to 4.8 volts, that is when I recharge.

VP
+1, thats when I charge too, and its well above the minimum voltage
keithy4129 is offline Find More Posts by keithy4129
Old Dec 30, 2011, 10:04 PM
Eugene, Oregon
Joined Feb 2011
589 Posts
Both of my Txs charge to about 5.4-5.5v after 12-14hrs.
Both discharge quickly to about 4.9v, hold that for quite a few flights.
Recharge at about 4.7v

Calibrated both using Andy and Freechip's posts. Took a couple of minutes to figure it out but made it. Both Txs showed about -98% at low throttle at first. Adjusted both to -100%.

Picked up a logger today. See how the Rxs are doing. Must be doing ok 'cause have had no issues. Out of last 25 flights have landed with flashing led only one time.
allelectrik is online now Find More Posts by allelectrik
Old Dec 31, 2011, 06:51 AM
Nederland, OV, Hengelo
Joined Nov 2009
15 Posts
I've updated my dx8 a few days ago from 2.01 to the most recent version thinking there are no issues any more, atleast the major ones.
logged in on de spektrumsite and downloaded it. Copied all my models on the sd card and copied them on my computer.(running Ubuntu 9.10 and as firefox as a internet browser)
Then copied the update on the sd card, inserted in de TX.
Turned it on. Watched the update being installed.
Looked just fine. Install finished and turned the TX on as usual.
Turned the TX off and got to do the usual things for x-mas as my wife asked me what I was doing....
Today I had some spare time and went to our airstrip.
I turned the TX on, and it went right into bind mode.
Turned it off, plugged the bind plug into my heli, powered it up and turned the TX.
Tx and Rx bonded, no problems. Unplugged the Rx from the battery, turned the Tx off.
Pulled the bind plug from the Rx. Turned the Tx back on and it went right back into bind mode for the same model.... What I'm doing wrong?
I'm a bit dissapointed, as this is the first time I updated my Dx8 which worked just fine with 2.01.. 
I thought it was Ok now to update as I've not seen major issues with the 2.04.... 
Who can help me so that I can use my Tx again without binding every time over and over again...
Arnold_NL is offline Find More Posts by Arnold_NL
Old Dec 31, 2011, 07:30 AM
Vienna, Austria
Joined Oct 2010
2,408 Posts
You can try updating again (manually in file menu).
Or maybe the trainer button cable has a short circuit or the button is stuck. You can check that by pressing "clear" and "back" during powerup. Then you see all the switch states, "I" should read "0", if it shows "2", then there is the trainer button pressed (or the cable shorted)
Mukenukem is online now Find More Posts by Mukenukem
Old Dec 31, 2011, 08:05 AM
Nederland, OV, Hengelo
Joined Nov 2009
15 Posts
Just got back from the field.
Deleted all the files onthe SD card.
Copied 2.01 back again on it, installed it. No succes.
Still returns to bind mode after switching on and of again.
And it beeps when it didn't beep before. and I see a screen just shortly after the bind screen something with "No RF" or some thing. this screen just is there and it's gone so quickly and the screen returns to the normal operation mode.
Old Dec 31, 2011, 08:10 AM
Vienna, Austria
Joined Oct 2010
2,408 Posts
Tried the diagnostics screen ? Looks like a stuck trainer button.
Mukenukem is online now Find More Posts by Mukenukem
Old Dec 31, 2011, 08:21 AM
Nederland, OV, Hengelo
Joined Nov 2009
15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mukenukem View Post
Tried the diagnostics screen ? Looks like a stuck trainer button.
Not pressed it mentioned: 1 ( should this be "0"?)
Pressed in it mentioned: 2 ( should this be "1"?)
And when I switch all the switches I begins to beep constantly...

If it is this button, than I find this very strange....
I did not have had any issues before the update with this trainer/bind button...

Should I sent it in to HH in order to let them check my Dx8?
Last edited by Arnold_NL; Dec 31, 2011 at 09:01 AM.
Old Dec 31, 2011, 09:04 AM
Tucson, AZ
Joined Aug 2004
867 Posts
your board/RF chip is bad, and it can manfiest itself in different ways, one of which is the "stuck bind button". I had the same problem and it is not a mechanical issue. The RF chips on the older DX8s are going bad left and right; I suspect they are putting higher quality hardware in the new ones but not sure. My original DX8 took 3 trips to HH to fix board/RF chip problem (5 total trips overall with other issues) before I told them to send me a brand new DX8 about a month ago. Like I said, I will never buy another Spektrum transmitter.

The two other indications of a bad board/RF chip that I have seen:
-models not binding consistently (taking more than two attempts to bind)
-some model numbers working and others not, depending on the model number that you are in
teryn1 is offline Find More Posts by teryn1
Last edited by teryn1; Dec 31, 2011 at 09:15 AM.
Old Dec 31, 2011, 09:46 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
22,477 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by teryn1 View Post
your board/RF chip is bad, and it can manfiest itself in different ways, one of which is the "stuck bind button". I had the same problem and it is not a mechanical issue. The RF chips on the older DX8s are going bad left and right; I suspect they are putting higher quality hardware in the new ones but not sure.
Sorry, Teryn, but you are totally wrong there. There are no RF chips going bad. I have one of the very first DX8's (my primary radio is one of the first 30 built) and they are no different than ones coming off the factory floor today. Whoever told you that was really imagining something wild.

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor