SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 16, 2011, 06:01 PM
Team Aztech Aeromodels!
United States, PA, Allentown
Joined May 2011
3,012 Posts
I bet the DX8 secretly has like 8 more channels that a software update will activate. That way you can mix channels 1-8 to more channels like for thrust vectoring. That would be really cool.
zmonster97 is offline Find More Posts by zmonster97
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 16, 2011, 08:12 PM
Joined Jun 2004
129 Posts
As there is not a higher spec Spectrum (Andy says the DX10 is “by the Germans, for the Germans), making these improvements would not be affecting sales of any other Spectrum – unless HH are deliberately keeping a differential between it and some JRs that they would lose sales on, if the DX8 closed the gap.

Presently, the world and its dog knows about the problems (listed only recently) and Recalls (DON’T ARGUE WITH SEMANTICS ON THIS ONE – IF IT LOOKS LIKE A DUCK AND QUACKS LIKE A DUCK – IT’S A DUCK!) with the DX8. Many have given up and sold them and probably many, many more have read about them and decided to give it a miss.

By making the suggested improvements HH could broadcast to the world that it has a value for money product with many features of higher spec competitors (as long as it can implement any changes without the messups of the past).

I know nothing about software/firmware programming so maybe the costs are so very high that this is the reason we don’t get the things we want or would like. Can members on this thread who have been involved in software programming/testing enlighten us on this?

Or could it be that all the ‘logging, listening and noting’ we are told HH does with requests are not likely to appear on the DX8 but are being stored up for a new model that will be out in a year or two with all these things on it? Just a thought.
howcar is offline Find More Posts by howcar
Old Dec 16, 2011, 09:46 PM
Australia, VIC, Caroline Springs
Joined Nov 2008
10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mukenukem View Post
Use a 7 or 9 channel RX... There are cheap orange available. Give them a sat, and they are fine.
True they are great but cheap rx's need to stay in cheap models not expensive carbon fibre ones...

Space is an issue thats why i've gone 6ch...
howitzer85 is offline Find More Posts by howitzer85
Old Dec 17, 2011, 02:38 AM
Canada
Joined Aug 2004
866 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by howcar View Post
unless HH are deliberately keeping a differential between it and some JRs that they would lose sales on, if the DX8 closed the gap.
I have always that that the relationship between Horizon and JR is a little weird. It seems that the distribution agreement limits Spektrum to selling 8-channel and lower radios (the DX10t may get around this since it is a tray radio) while Horizon only caries JR radios that are 9-channels or greater. I don`t know why JR would use a competitor as their exclusive distributor.

At any rate, Spektrum/Horizon and JR have been parting ways so I am sure that the DX10 will eventually be introduced. I can't imagine that Spektrum would dedicate the R&D resources for a radio that is likely to be a commercial failure. I am sure that the DX10 is ready to go into production once the JR/Horizon distribution agreement is renewed/renegotiated. The DX10t is likely just a "test" platform to finalize the software/technology.

Quote:
By making the suggested improvements HH could broadcast to the world that it has a value for money product with many features of higher spec competitors (as long as it can implement any changes without the messups of the past).
I would think that Spektrum would want to make their products a feature rich as possible. Currently, Spektrum is not seen as a quality brand (I am sorry, but it just isn't), buy if they offer more features, people may overlook the quality gap and purchase Spektrum for features that are not available is the competitors similarly priced radios.

Of course, despite the quality issues, Spektrum seem to have no problems selling radios so they may not be that concerned with offering greater value to existing customers.

Quote:
I know nothing about software/firmware programming so maybe the costs are so very high that this is the reason we don’t get the things we want or would like. Can members on this thread who have been involved in software programming/testing enlighten us on this?
My favourite example is the configurable inactivity alarm. This is a feature that would be trivial to add, but we have been told that it is a feature that is reserved for higher-end radios.

I also suspect that telemetry logging would be possible to add to the current DX8 hardware. From what Andy has said, it sounds like it is an optimization issue. Even if such optimizations are not possible, it may be possible to reduce the frequency of the control loop (when logging was enabled).

Oddly, Andy has stated that if it were possible, he would have added telemetry logging whereas a configurable inactive alarm is just too valuable of a feature to add to the DX8. Personally, I think that telemetry logging is the more valuable feature.

Of course, they could be reluctant to add new features since it is likely that they would break some other functionality in the process. I don't think that Spektrum has ever heard of regression testing.

Quote:
Or could it be that all the ‘logging, listening and noting’ we are told HH does with requests are not likely to appear on the DX8 but are being stored up for a new model that will be out in a year or two with all these things on it? Just a thought.
This is a likely scenario. It seems like many of the feature requests for the DX8 are making their way into the DX10t.
grumpy42 is offline Find More Posts by grumpy42
Last edited by grumpy42; Dec 17, 2011 at 02:43 AM.
Old Dec 17, 2011, 05:18 AM
Vienna, Austria
Joined Oct 2010
2,591 Posts
I think it would be no issue adding more channels via Airware-Update. It seems that Spek uses the same TX Module in all things that can send, like TM1000, DX7/8/10. In the telemetry-module there could be another firmware, but in radios there could be the same firmware in evey TX module.
Since JR goes it's own way with DMSS (or how is it called) Spektrum should also continue making great radios (with more testing, please) for every budget. But thats marketing and political, and I don't like that. Those guys make always the wrong decisions
Mukenukem is online now Find More Posts by Mukenukem
Old Dec 17, 2011, 12:05 PM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
of course i would love to see my dx8 becomming a 10 or 11 channel radio. Just like the 8 channel futaba which is actually 14channel via firmware update
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon
Old Dec 17, 2011, 01:45 PM
The Netherlands, LI, Gennep
Joined Feb 2011
1,861 Posts
I don't think we'll see it happen.

Spektrum is holding out on DX10 functionality on the dx8, so why would they give us more channels?
And even it they did: I'd rather have more functionality than more channels. I'm a plane flyer, what would I do with 6 more channels?
struggleforlife is online now Find More Posts by struggleforlife
Old Dec 17, 2011, 02:00 PM
Vienna, Austria
Joined Oct 2010
2,591 Posts
You could use 7 for a motorglider with 6 servos and ESC. Or even more for a biplane with lots of servos on the wings

But you're right. more features, please ! Make the competitors look like crap
Mukenukem is online now Find More Posts by Mukenukem
Old Dec 17, 2011, 02:17 PM
Canada
Joined Aug 2004
866 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavcon View Post
of course i would love to see my dx8 becomming a 10 or 11 channel radio. Just like the 8 channel futaba which is actually 14channel via firmware update
I don't really see this happening either. Keep in mind that the 8FG has two sliders and two knobs, so it can make more effective use of the extra channels.
grumpy42 is offline Find More Posts by grumpy42
Old Dec 17, 2011, 02:47 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmonster97 View Post
I bet the DX8 secretly has like 8 more channels that a software update will activate. That way you can mix channels 1-8 to more channels like for thrust vectoring. That would be really cool.
there is no prob with this setup to do tv . Ive done it with activate and deactivate on my f-16 tv plane. But a few extra channels will help. Especially will help spek against futaba
Old Dec 17, 2011, 02:50 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmonster97 View Post
there is no prob with this setup to do tv . Ive done it with activate and deactivate on my f-16 tv plane. But a few extra channels will help. Especially will help spek against futaba
1 knob for me is just fine. I always use it to mix the nosewheel. Helps a lot
Old Dec 17, 2011, 06:12 PM
Team Aztech Aeromodels!
United States, PA, Allentown
Joined May 2011
3,012 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavcon View Post
1 knob for me is just fine. I always use it to mix the nosewheel. Helps a lot
Exactly. That would be great.
zmonster97 is offline Find More Posts by zmonster97
Old Dec 18, 2011, 02:50 AM
Where's my orange kool-aid?
Australia, VIC, Boronia
Joined Apr 2010
714 Posts
Version 2.04 update

Hi All,

I'm not a tech savvy sort of person so please bear with me. My DX8 was previous on v2.01. I've just installed the 2.04 and my rudder trim is now out by 3%. It shows 3% on the monitor screen page. Try as I might, I can't get my rudder trim to center. What is happening?
xzuberance is offline Find More Posts by xzuberance
Old Dec 18, 2011, 03:47 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,087 Posts
have you tried re-calibrating your sticks?. The DX8 has this feature and there is also a thread on the subject.
freechip is offline Find More Posts by freechip
Old Dec 18, 2011, 04:41 AM
Where's my orange kool-aid?
Australia, VIC, Boronia
Joined Apr 2010
714 Posts
Haven't tried re-calibrating. Has anyone had this happen? and did re-calibrating help?

The last thing I did about that was when Spektrum sent out that "bulletin" ages ago asking us to check the stick movements. Did that and everything was a-OK. Was on the 2.01 version then and everything seemed good. Got email from Spektrum saying v2.04 is out. Went on their website and downloaded it. Installed and now my rudder is out.

Do you happen to have the link to the thread on calibration... on 2nd thought, I'll try and search for it first. Thanks for the tip
xzuberance is offline Find More Posts by xzuberance